That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I love Babylon 5, and even liked series 1, although series 5 was not good at all. Crusade was the absolute fucking pits. For some reason I missed Bryan Cranston - which series was he in?

I like series 1 too, being a massive Jeff fan. It's a lot more watchable once you've seen series 2-4, weirdly enough. Series 5...yeah. Me and the missus still take the piss out of Byron on occasion. There were a few episodes of Crusade where it glimmered a bit and you could see the JMS fingerprints, building in backstory and pathos. Unfortunately, Galen was a massive unlikeable knob, telepath crewman couldn't act to save his life, and it was just all over the place most of the time. Even Gary Cole couldn't save it. 

Bryan Cranston is in S4 E5 - The Long Night. 

I was supposed to have my photo taken with Jerry Doyle at a comic con, but he fucked off early and I never got my $40 back. Wankers. RIP mate. 

Back on topic, I'd love it if the TNG lot got one last hurrah, as long it's not too JJ Abramsy.

• Paid Members
On 4/19/2018 at 4:07 PM, mim731 said:

See, the early reviews (along with the aforementioned Macfarlane concerns) were part of what made me avoid the show. I love TNG, so am more than willing to power through some teething problems if it's paying tribute to Picard and co. Will definitely give it a look. 

Did you get through The Orville, in the end? Interested in your thoughts if so.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I haven't as yet. Still trying to sell the wife on it, as with a small baby whatever we watch is pretty much together now. Still on my list though, especially now you've reminded me!

The Orville would be, I'd say, the perfect sort of show to watch with wife and baby if light sci-fi is what you're after. I'd also recommend The Expanse, heavily, if you haven't already seen it although that is less wife and baby friendly.

When Babylon 5 came out it was genuinely revolutionary tv, especially for sci fi.  Set in a permanent place and not cruising around the galaxy in a ship?  Season (and indeed multi-season) story arcs*?  Complex political storylines, shades of grey characters and races?  Cutting edge all-CGI special effects?

It was one of the last series that I remember being absolutely glued to the tell every week for - in fact, a bunch of us watched it together, every week for years.  

Problem is, it's aged very very badly.  The cast outside of Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik were fairly average tv journeyman.  And that cutting edge CGI, like all cutting edge CGI, looked absolutely awful after only about 10 years.  Add in the confusion over the rushed 4th season and the pointless 5th, and the legacy-ruining tv movies, and it's hard to watch it now and get why there was such a big fuss.

* J. Michael Straczynski can make a good claim to having invented season long story arcs indeed.  B5 was the first series to build itself from the ground up on this premise rather than the baddie-of-the-week formula.  It had an immediate impact on US tv drama - X Files switched up during its first season to start building a meta-arc, as did Deep Space Nine.  Without Babylon 5 we'd have never had The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The West Wing, Deadwood etc.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Loki said:

When Babylon 5 came out it was genuinely revolutionary tv, especially for sci fi.  Set in a permanent place and not cruising around the galaxy in a ship?  Season (and indeed multi-season) story arcs*?  Complex political storylines, shades of grey characters and races?  Cutting edge all-CGI special effects?

It was one of the last series that I remember being absolutely glued to the tell every week for - in fact, a bunch of us watched it together, every week for years.  

Problem is, it's aged very very badly.  The cast outside of Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik were fairly average tv journeyman.  And that cutting edge CGI, like all cutting edge CGI, looked absolutely awful after only about 10 years.  Add in the confusion over the rushed 4th season and the pointless 5th, and the legacy-ruining tv movies, and it's hard to watch it now and get why there was such a big fuss.

* J. Michael Straczynski can make a good claim to having invented season long story arcs indeed.  B5 was the first series to build itself from the ground up on this premise rather than the baddie-of-the-week formula.  It had an immediate impact on US tv drama - X Files switched up during its first season to start building a meta-arc, as did Deep Space Nine.  Without Babylon 5 we'd have never had The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The West Wing, Deadwood etc.

You're calling Tron an average TV journeyman?! For shame! And Walter Koenig was a great villain. Otherwise, I agree. Claudia Christian was obviously nice to look at, as were a few of the ladies in it (including Mira Furlan/Delenn, and the woman who played Adira Tyree and, coincidentally, Alotta Fagina in Austin Powers), but yeah - for the most part, the acting was standard budget sci-fi outside of Katsoulas, Jurasik, and the guy who played Vir.

As to the claim about Straczynski inventing season-long arcs, I would've thought Lynch would have that with Twin Peaks, no?

Depends if you think there was any overarching plot to the two series of Twin Peaks ;)  People had made mini-series based on one story, and even whole series but they were very rare because no studio really wanted to commit to that sort of longevity.

Straczynski plotted out 5 seasons before they shot the pilot, and to a greater or lesser extent that was the story they told.  It allowed for incredible callbacks or call forwards across multiple seasons which was something truly brilliant and still rare in tv.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So,  Netflix has released a trailer for season two of Discovery...

Seems like they're having a lot more fun, whilst still doing all the spacey stuff and by the looks of things we might actually get to know the crew a bit better. Not a huge fan of Saru getting his command taken off him right away but...what do I know?

I do hope there is more Trek to come on TV apart from Discovery, as was rumoured. I'd like to see a movie even in the Prime timeline, with Admiral Picard and Captain Riker.

I wonder if they will show the inside of the Enterprise or if they are keeping that away to save casting characters but I noticed Pike's uniform was different so it would be nice to see if Discovery is super high tech compared to the Enterprise in this version or not as it was a huge thing many got upset about last year. I assume Spock will be cast and introduced later on in the series too.

• Paid Members

Discovery should be higher tech, because it's supposed to be an experimental ship, which, because of what we know about the ST universe, will end up as a failed project.