That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

Pretty much what your man says above. Stick with it, it gets good - really good. Way Of The Warrior is great, and In The Pale Moonlight is just one of the best ST episodes ever.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The two or three after In The Pale Moonlight are a bit shit though.  Just watched one where Quark acts as a woman, possibly the worst ST episode I've seen although I haven't watched Enterprise.

Yeah, that one is pretty shit, and not just in hindsight either.

Just now, Carbomb said:

Yeah, that one is pretty shit, and not just in hindsight either.

Was reading up on it, Siddig was going for a dramatic look at a mother and son at loggerheads but the scriptwriters wanted a comedy, and it ended up being neither.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Was reading up on it, Siddig was going for a dramatic look at a mother and son at loggerheads but the scriptwriters wanted a comedy, and it ended up being neither.

I didn't know Siddig directed that one. I've always liked him as an actor, but never really took the time to check out his directorial work.

I watched about 4 episodes of The Orville before dismissing it as a comfort blanket for TNG fans who just can't move on.

Count me amongst the people who don't understand why The Expanse is being held up as something for Discovery to aspire to. I love The Expanse, I'm just about to start the latest novel, but it's so intrinsically not Trek that comparisons are redundant.

On 14 April 2018 at 12:14 PM, BrodyGraham said:

I watched about 4 episodes of The Orville before dismissing it as a comfort blanket for TNG fans who just can't move on.

Count me amongst the people who don't understand why The Expanse is being held up as something for Discovery to aspire to. I love The Expanse, I'm just about to start the latest novel, but it's so intrinsically not Trek that comparisons are redundant.

My point was that Discovery had strayed too far from the Trek franchise formula and so ended up in a more dystopian sci-fi genre, and therefore suffers by comparison with the best examples of that genre.

Even the recent Trek films had the same spirit as the original series'.  Discovery, in my opinion, had almost none of it.

• Awards Moderator
On 4/13/2018 at 11:35 PM, Loki said:

I tried The Orville, but MacFarlane makes me want to pull my eyes out through my anus, so I had to give it up.

Fished them out with your fingers, eh? 

Yeah Seth MacFarlane can do one. Cannot get on with anything he's involved with. 

• Paid Members

The first 4 episodes or so of The Orville were heavy going as it was trying to find its feet and the proper balance between the Macfarlane comedy and the Brannon Braga 90s Trek nostalgia show. It really improves a lot. Yes, there are still some terrible jokes, but most of the time it works well. A  few of  the episodes are fantastic.

• Paid Members

I generally find Seth Macfarlane quite irritating when he goes particularly OTT, does he play up his usual schtick in The Orville or does he play it relatively deadpan and rely on the jokes?  Very curious, but him having a major role in it puts me off a bit. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I generally find Seth Macfarlane quite irritating when he goes particularly OTT, does he play up his usual schtick in The Orville or does he play it relatively deadpan and rely on the jokes?  Very curious, but him having a major role in it puts me off a bit. 

I'd say the latter in Orville, for the most part. Also, in the earlier episodes there are a lot of jokes, there are a lot less in later episodes and they land much more smoothly.