That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

Go back a couple of pages and read the discussion about spoilers. Don't come into a thread where the majority of discussion is going to be about the most recent episode of a current tv show if you've not watched it yet.

For some reason I thought I was on the normal TV page, my apologies.

• Awards Moderator

End of term class photo:

dsc-115-bts-01.jpg

How many can you name? Even cool cyborg lady?! 

Character names:

Top Row: Lt. J.G. Joann Owosekun (Ops), LtC. Paul Stamets (Science/Engineering), Ens. Sylvia Tilly (Engineering), Lt. Bryce (Communications), Lt. Rhys (Tactical), Lt. Keyla Detmer (Helm)

Bottom Row: LtC. Airiam (Second Officer), Cmd. Micheal Burnham (Science), Cmd. Saru (First Officer)

• Paid Members

You can see how Fuller leaving the show really made the first season incredibly uneven. The new team had to go with a lot of what Fuller had envisaged (the Klingon war arc, plus Fuller wanted to do an AHS-style anthology series) and get that all wrapped up by the end so that their vision can lead the way in season two.

Having said that, as far as Trek first seasons go, TOS aside this is the strongest first season of any Trek series. Seeing the Enterprise was nice as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So, back in December it was revealed that Quentin Tarintino was working on a Star Trek feature script with another dude who was involved in the Revenant. This led to both Patrick Stewart and William Shatner saying they'd love to be involved in such a project. 

I'm really kind of unsure about how someone like Tarintino - given his film making style - would do with Star Trek. But it's certainly intriguing. I'm not sure if the recent Uma Thurman stuff involving Tarintino might impact this ever happening, but what do you guys think of the prospect of a Tarintino written and directed Star Trek movie?

• Paid Members

I thoroughly enjoyed this series, and I liked how they involved the Mirror Universe more than previous story arcs have done - that someone from it actually had a long-term, heavy impact on the main storyline. For the first time, we got a storyline where the "home" captain was a villain. I'm probably always going to fancy the hell out of Michelle Yeoh. And I'm thrilled about the possibilities that a Captain Pike storyline can throw up - it's a fertile ground, and means we can have the Enterprise without Kirk, not to mention we get to have (hopefully) a bit of pre-Kirk Spock, developing the relationship story with Burnham and Sarek.

As to the possibility of a Tarantino film, I admit I'm fairly intrigued, because it's such a style clash on paper, and Tarantino hasn't done bad jobs with his guest episodes on TV, like CSI and Alias. That said, there are plenty of other directors who'd intrigue me to the same degree, like Guillermo del Toro or David Lynch (only to see how bizarre he'd go).

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

They've already ticked off step one on the Guillermo del Toro creative process - Put Doug Jones under a load of prosthetics.

Troo dat. He's been great as Saru, though - he's good at getting the emotions through all that.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

So, just watched the oft lauded "In The Pale Moonlight" peak Sisko episode of DS9. Garak is the fucking man. 

My favourite episode ever. I'm glad you came to the same conclusion about Garak. 

GARAK: I've locked him in his quarters. I've also left him with the distinct impression that if he attempts to force the door open, it may explode.

SISKO: I hope that's just an impression.

GARAK: It's best not to dwell on such minutiae.

Edited by Carbomb

Garak is probably my favourite character in the whole Star Trek canon.   It's such a wonderfully pantomime performance in many respects, but at the same time he has one of the most complex. non-Star Trek characters.

When I watched DS9 through a few years ago, it was obvious that they were lining him up to be a gay character but then they abruptly dropped that after a couple of appearances.  Whilst I applaud the idea as brave for the time, the ambiguity it leaves in Garak for the rest of the series is really quite great.

---

I hope with the next series of Star Trek, they try and make it more... Star Trekky.  The key things I associate with Star Trek are ensemble casts of great characters, the idea of everyone pulling together that is exemplified by the Federation, and a positivity about the future of mankind.  All of these things were missing from Discovery, which left a Trek-themed sci-fi series with no real heart.  It suffered hugely by comparison with The Expanse and other contemporary series as a result.

I also think they should go back to a Monster-Of-The-Week format.  It's cool having overarching story arc, but if you don't see the crew coming together through adversity at least a few times, you don't give a shit about them.

• Paid Members

One of my friends is constantly slagging off Discovery and banging on about The Expanse in comparison. I love The Expanse, it's fucking awesome, but quite frankly I think it's stupid to be comparing those series. They're not the same, and not meant to be. The only thing they have in common is that they're space sci-fi, which is a pretty broad premise. The appeal of The Expanse is its incredible realism and attention to detail; it's also set in a much nearer future, and is about the gradual emergence of humanity into space, while coming into contact for the first-time with extra-solar elements. Star Trek is a classic adventure series with theatrical styles and exploration of the distant future of humanity, and its regular interactions with already-discovered alien civilisations. Completely different kettles of fish as far as I'm concerned.

I am a massive Trekker, and I really enjoyed Discovery. Yes, it's got some bits about it that I really don't like, that I've mentioned before, but for the most part, I think it's a great series. I also don't think it's worthwhile having yet another series centred around a crew; it's been done four times already, in different permutations, with different writing formulae. I'm not sure what another crew-based series would offer in terms of a new Trek experience.

EDIT: I do agree about the Monster-Of-The-Week thing, which they did sort of manage to do a couple of times, but it did feel like it wasn't enough. And I also agree that it could've been a little more Trekky in working in a bit more positivity about humanity's future; the resolution of the Klingon War was a bit deflating, to my mind.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

I've been watching DS9 for the first time since I was a kid. When does it get good again? I'm about halfway through season 1 and it's all Jake, Nog, and Rom episodes or Keira being a moody arse. The last ep I watched featured O' Brian accidentally summoning Rumplestiltskin after reading his child a bedroom story. Sisco, Odo and Quark are still good though.   

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, gmoney said:

I've been watching DS9 for the first time since I was a kid. When does it get good again? I'm about halfway through season 1 and it's all Jake, Nog, and Rom episodes or Keira being a moody arse. The last ep I watched featured O' Brian accidentally summoning Rumplestiltskin after reading his child a bedroom story. Sisco, Odo and Quark are still good though.   

Picks up season 2, really hammers on from season 3, and it's pretty ace all the way up to season 7 (few iffy episodes in that last season, but not many). It's worth persevering though, because they do call back to stuff in the early seasons later on.