That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

Surely next week will be about working out how to time travel through the network. There is no Canon if the federation has been erased. Hopefully far enough back that they can stop doctors boyf from copping it.

Mirror Georgiou is probably the key to sorting it out. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm wondering whether Mirror Discovery will turn up, or or proper Lorca.

Don't think we will see Jason Isaacs again. I'm sure I remember reading way back before the series started airing that he was only ever in it for one season. 

• Paid Members

They go back to the battle of the binary stars, Mirror Georgiou whips the Klingon's asses, prevents the war but dies in the process?

• Paid Members
On 30/01/2018 at 10:21 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

They go back to the battle of the binary stars, Mirror Georgiou whips the Klingon's asses, prevents the war but dies in the process?

I suppose it's a nice way to undo the whole mutiny thing, and I do see the end goal of the season being Burnham rising to the rank of captain, and that gets around it nicely if they go that way. You also have the opportunity for them to scrap the spore drive due to the dangers of time travel/causality etc, which moves nicely into canon then I guess.

Do we think the whole Ash Tyler/Voq thing was a diversion to distract away from the Lorca reveal then?I guess if they go back to the BotBS then they can save Tyler before he gets made into a Klingon. 

• Paid Members

Hopefully it is a time travel thing and not some untold part of Starfleet history where the Federation was brought to its knees by Klingons then managed to claw it back thanks to a single ship that had been mysteriously missing for 9 months. I get the feeling whatever happens some people won't be happy.

Tyler/Voq was far too obvious at times, which is why it seemed like a great smokescreen for the Mirror Lorca reveal. I'm sure watching back the clues are all there. Well, they practically spelled it all out right before they did the reveal.

• Paid Members

Every new Trek series is to some degree a reboot of whatever's come before it due to advancements in both TV production and real world technology. If we're sitting here while Microsoft and other tech companies are working things like HoloLens, but they're still at a 1960s sci-fi level of communications technology in a TV show set 200-odd years in the future because "continuity" then it's going to annoy more than a few people. I wouldn't be surprised if the hologram communications stuff and "mirror off" stuff going on in Discovery becomes a reality in a decade or so.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/hololens

• Paid Members
On 02/02/2018 at 5:49 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

Every new Trek series is to some degree a reboot of whatever's come before it due to advancements in both TV production and real world technology. If we're sitting here while Microsoft and other tech companies are working things like HoloLens, but they're still at a 1960s sci-fi level of communications technology in a TV show set 200-odd years in the future because "continuity" then it's going to annoy more than a few people. I wouldn't be surprised if the hologram communications stuff and "mirror off" stuff going on in Discovery becomes a reality in a decade or so.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/hololens

Yeah. Great. Except it would have been really easy to produce pre-Kirk era stuff that looks really slick and 21st Century without massive slaps in the face with stuff so blatantly FAR advanced of anything Picard, Sisko or Janeway got to play with, fuck "1960s" anything. The Pine/Quinto films never made me think "that's bullshit" in terms of the tech available compared to the established universe of the timeframe, Discovery seems to do it every week. Which is why, as a man very happy with multiverses, I don't bother trying to tie it to the Kirk future we already know.

That was a very meh episode. I just didn't buy the massive drama between Tyler and Burnham. They had a thing, but was it ever much more than that? And they're all crying about it like they were in love for years and where did it all go wrong. Nah, sorry lads.

Also if mateyboy can "overshoot by 9 months" why the fuck can't he go and undershoot them back before the war is almost lost? Maybe that's what they'll do, but it seems too obvious to me to ignore it and then go "a ha!" next week, like it wasn't obvious from second 1 that that's what they should be doing. And if not, well fucking hell, the writings been so solid up to this point, I can't believe they'd write themselves into a corner like that. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, hallicks said:

That was a very meh episode. I just didn't buy the massive drama between Tyler and Burnham. They had a thing, but was it ever much more than that? And they're all crying about it like they were in love for years and where did it all go wrong. Nah, sorry lads.

Also if mateyboy can "overshoot by 9 months" why the fuck can't he go and undershoot them back before the war is almost lost? Maybe that's what they'll do, but it seems too obvious to me to ignore it and then go "a ha!" next week, like it wasn't obvious from second 1 that that's what they should be doing. And if not, well fucking hell, the writings been so solid up to this point, I can't believe they'd write themselves into a corner like that. 

Tyler went from being sorry to OMG ONE LITTLE ATTEMPT TO KILL YOU AND YOU GIVE UP ON US? real fast. That was hilarious.