That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

This is onyl a theory, and not any spoiler or anything, but I wonder whether Stamets's mood swings are because he and his mirror universe counterpart are somehow exchanging places whenever they use the spore drive? He called Tilly "Captain" this week, unless he was hallucinating and thought he saw the captain there.

• Paid Members

So, into the mid-season break. No more new Trek until January.

I really enjoyed this episode. Discovery is hitting it out of the park pretty much every week now.

The kiss was saved until we really cared about both characters. Ash is obviously VoQ and Lorca is responsible for whatever happened to Stamets and for Discovery being lost. Maybe they're going to do a Voyager type story line for the rest of the show?

• Paid Members

That was certainly a big cliffhanger. Those Klingon titties were unexpected. I reckon they're in the mirror universe.

• Awards Moderator

Clem Fandango = Voq is about as secret a theory as L+R=J. 

What a great show. Best Star Trek anything, ever. Guessing the dudes are now Lost In Space to conveniently lose the spore technology and cloaking hack. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Clearly not in the mirror universe as there aren't enough beards or thick eyebrows.

Cracking episode.

Hide contents

Klingon knockers~! that rivalled the Duras sisters <3

Also I have a Clem Fandango theory:

Hide contents

Manchurian candidate

I mean I think they're lost in the mirror universe now, given that Jonathan Frakes apparently directs the next episode and he's the one that said there's a mirror universe episode.

Enterprise is already pretty good looking as it was shot and edited in HD from the start, luckily it needs no remastering. DS9 and Voyager were scanned directly on to tape and then edited so it'd take a lot of work to get them looking nice, it was cheaper than doing everything on 35mm apparently.

• Awards Moderator
15 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

So, I have a vague interest in Discovery.

I’m a Sci-fi fan, but just never watched any Star Trek (my entry points were Star Wars, Doctor Who and SG1)...can I just jump in at Discovery?

I think absolutely yes. Like many of these things there are "hey, remember these?" moments but everything you need for the world is present in the series.

Warning that the 2 part pilot is by consensus a bit rough. But the series improves dramatically after that.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Pilot is very much "not Star Trek", but the series becomes very "Star Trek" from episode 3 onwards. As already said plenty without canon bashing your head it may be a better watch.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

So I finally caught up a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it, am loving the new perspective, and the idea that the captain could be a villain for the first time in Trek history.

I've only really got two complaints, neither of which detract much:

1. The Klingon re-design. Not from a purist's perspective, but from the simple perspective of "this looks shit". The "Gothic Churches Floating In Space" aesthetic was shit in The Chronicles Of Riddick, and it's shit here too. Plus the whole thing reeks of a lack of imagination: "New Star Trek production? Well, the first thing we must do is change up the Klingons". 

2. The Michael Burnham character is a bit of a Mary Sue for a while, but the newer episodes flesh her out a lot better.

Other than that, I'm absolutely loving this series. Love the Discovery "alternative Enterprise" design (although not too enamoured of the rotating rings in the saucer section bit), love the ditching of convention while still retaining the Star Trek aesthetic and essence of exploration/out-of-leftfield challenges, and the acting is for the most part great. And I love that Clem Fandango's in it too.