That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Awards Moderator

The latest episode... What a cracker!

How do you do spoilers again? 

Old school plot (it is an identical setup to TNG's Cause and Effect) but quickly assumes you know the score and gets on with exploring it. Excellent turn by Rainn Wilson, and good fun all round. Lots of character development too while they get busy with the sci-fi. 

On a side note, was kinda odd watching Anthony Rapp after this morning's news. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

I thought this week's episode was really good. A nice little bottle show and it felt quite a lot lighter than some of the other episodes. Discovery's really improving and becoming more "Star Trekky" as it keeps finding its feet. 

• Paid Members

Yes, great episode. Proper Trek. 

I really, really want more time spent on the bridge. I want to find out more about that android crew member, as well. 

Rapp was on After Trek this week and seemed very relaxed and in a good mood. What Spacey allegedly did was fucked up but it seems Rapp himself isn't letting it get him down. Rumours about Spacey have abounded since forever. I remember hearing in school about him getting some male PA to give him oral in his trailer on some movie or another, and I was a 12 year old child with no connections to Hollywood whatsoever. Wouldn't be surprised to hear lots more stuff about Spacey come out and hopefully Bryan Singer gets nailed, too, given all he has supposed to have done. Anyway, sorry, off topic. 

• Paid Members

I don't like the way Spacey's tried to deflect the attention away from the harassment by coming out. I had a similar response to the claims as I did when it all came out about Stuart Hall. You don't expect it, but maybe it was just naivete. Anyway. It was a very Trek episode. Apparently we get a season break in two weeks. That means we have 4 episodes after the break until the end of season one? Bit of a strange way of doing it.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I don't like the way Spacey's tried to deflect the attention away from the harassment by coming out. I had a similar response to the claims as I did when it all came out about Stuart Hall. You don't expect it, but maybe it was just naivete. Anyway. It was a very Trek episode. Apparently we get a season break in two weeks. That means we have 4 episodes after the break until the end of season one? Bit of a strange way of doing it.

Yeah, mid-season break. It's something quite a lot of US TV shows do, but given Discovery only airs on a streaming service, it's a bit odd. I read it also has to do with how long each episode of Discovery spends in post-production (a very long time, apparently.) The up side is that you'd imagine the mid-season finale will be a big episode, perhaps a cliffhanger. 

Completely missed who Mudd was in previous episodes, started r ewatching the original series a few days ago and it clicked. Really enjoyed this weeks episode too. People are right about the design and tech mostly. A  few things still niggle me but the transporter having a physical slide I thought was a cool nod to the older ships.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure we will get a cliffhanger as they've managed to move the season break back an episode.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Yeah, mid-season break. It's something quite a lot of US TV shows do, but given Discovery only airs on a streaming service, it's a bit odd. . 

Does it not air on CBS in the States? Thought they were the ones developing it initially, but not sure if that's still the case. 

On 10/27/2017 at 10:32 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

Chief O'Brien is the absolute man anyway, so these scenarios are easy to imagine him in. He's such a fantastic everyman. A series based around him could have been brilliant, and because of how down to Earth he is nobody would have batted an eyelid at him dropping casual "F bombs" all over the place.

Not to spoil your reality but . . .

http://chiefobrienatwork.com/

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Wrasslin said:

Not to spoil your reality but . . .

http://chiefobrienatwork.com/

I love Chief O'Brien at work. You've spoiled nothing.

CBS puts Discovery out on their "All-Access" subscription service online in North America.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

This week's was an interesting episode. Quite a sizeable cliffhanger, given that this was supposed to be where the mid-season break was supposed to happen, but apparently the first "half" has been increased to 9 episodes. Hopefully it doesn't leave on a bit of an anticlimax compared to this week's ending. Another interesting episode. Moved things along nicely, still quite Star Trek as well.

• Awards Moderator

Yep, another great Star Trek episode, but for a different reason. The botched rescue at the beginning was a very interesting story to tell. Lorca is a superb character, but it's Jason Isaacs so duh. 

And then you get a bit of Stahmets development. And then you get that interesting planet-side stuff. And then you get the Klingon intrigue. And the escape. Just packed with really good chunks moving at a great pace. Fantastic show right now, has hit its stride excellently. 

Production starts on season 2 in two weeks. 

• Paid Members

Why the fuck are so many posters on that Trek forum totally behind the idea of electric shock therapy for people with mental health issues?!

L'Rell is a god damn moron, by the way. Helping the admiral to escape in the shittest way possible. Gets caught. 'Kills' the admiral. Instead of then escaping, goes back to Kol to pretend to swear allegiance. Gets captured. 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Awards Moderator
23 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Helping the admiral to escape in the shittest way possible.

It's clear that plot line is yet to be resolved. We're not sure if the Admiral did escape, or if she's hidden in 'dead n****r storage', even though Kol saw her 'killed'. The episode shows signs of severe cuts that I hope will be cleared up by next week's part.