That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I've been cracking back through Enterprise on Netflix. Business really picks up during series 3.I love how during the Borg episode in series 2 they never explicitly use the word "Borg" so it doesn't ruin continuity too much. It's a shame they didn't get the Romulan War arc in for series 5 due to the show getting cancelled, but imagine how much better Discovery could have been if Braga & Berman had been involved in it. Their loss is The Orville's gain, I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck yes.  My hopes weren't high at all after the terrible Discovery series but that trailer has just so much to make my winky tingly.

If they can just avoid trying to make it all Hollywood and get back to the sense of right and wrong, and cameraderie that was hallmark of the original series plural....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I made it through all of Enterprise. I really enjoyed the Xindi arc in the third series. Some of the multi-parts episodes in series 4 were good. James Avery as a Klingon was wonderful and Peter Weller in that last 2-parter was a great choice.

That last episode was really poorly executed. Troi's accent was all over the place, although you could tell Frakes was having a great time giving Riker another run out, especially as the chef. 

Shame they didn't get another series as doing more Romulan/Vulcan stuff could have been so interesting. 

I'm now probably going to try and get BoJack Horseman watched and then get cracking on DS9. 

I started watching RLM's video on the Picard trailer and fuck me are Rich and Mike insufferable pricks when it comes to Star Trek (and wars). I think I'll stick to watching Jay gush over art-house cinema like a giddy child and skip anything sci-fi related on that channel.

I really enjoyed Discovery once it found it's feet after the lukewarm first season, yeah it's different to the usual but so was DS9 and that's by far my fav series. One thing about DS9 which gets a sad little chuckle out of me is seeing pissbabies crying all these years later when someone dares to say that the show was in any way "progressive", you'd have to be thick as pigshit to not see it, the show was constantly tackling subjects that a lot of shows have only just started doing.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I started watching RLM's video on the Picard trailer and fuck me are Rich and Mike insufferable pricks when it comes to Star Wars. I think I'll stick to watching Jay gush over art-house cinema like a giddy child and skip anything sci-fi related on that channel.

I really enjoyed Discovery once it found it's feet after the lukewarm first season, yeah it's different to the usual but so was DS9 and that's by far my fav series. One thing about DS9 which gets a sad little chuckle out of me is seeing pissbabies crying all these years later when someone dares to say that the show was in any way "progressive", you'd have to be thick as pigshit to not see it, the show was constantly tackling subjects that a lot of shows have only just started doing.

Discovery series 2 starts great, but I just felt like it was getting more and more ridiculous as the series went on. I think it may have helped if it was more an ensemble crew show than all about Burnham. Pike was brilliant. There's a lot of potential for them to do interesting things in the third series, but there's also a big danger that it becomes the hunt for Burnham's mum, which could get pretty dull. 

1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Discovery series 2 starts great, but I just felt like it was getting more and more ridiculous as the series went on. I think it may have helped if it was more an ensemble crew show than all about Burnham. Pike was brilliant. There's a lot of potential for them to do interesting things in the third series, but there's also a big danger that it becomes the hunt for Burnham's mum, which could get pretty dull. 

100% this, I still think other crew members weren't given enough time to shine but it was a huge improvement over the first season. I liked the ridiculousness myself, it gave the show it's own energy that really set it apart from the others without going full on Star Wars.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

100% this, I still think other crew members weren't given enough time to shine but it was a huge improvement over the first season. I liked the ridiculousness myself, it gave the show it's own energy that really set it apart from the others without going full on Star Wars.

If it'd been more all crew based ridiculousness than Burnham family ridiculousness it could have been better. It's a testament that Jonathan Frakes managed to make you care enough about Aryam in her episode enough to feel some impact when she ended up dying, but I always wonder how much better it could have been if we'd had a season and a half to get to know her before her passing. 

On 8/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

If it'd been more all crew based ridiculousness than Burnham family ridiculousness it could have been better. It's a testament that Jonathan Frakes managed to make you care enough about Aryam in her episode enough to feel some impact when she ended up dying, but I always wonder how much better it could have been if we'd had a season and a half to get to know her before her passing. 

Compare it to the death of Tasha Yar to realise how little the crew mattered in Discovery.

Really poor series, sorry.  Gave up halfway through season 2, just got... bored.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Loki said:

Compare it to the death of Tasha Yar to realise how little the crew mattered in Discovery.

Really poor series, sorry.  Gave up halfway through season 2, just got... bored.

I wish I'd given up halfway through. The finale was ridiculous. Especially the way they tied up all the continuity. Still, there's potential that series 3 could be interesting.

• 1 month later...

Another Picard trailer released:

I know this is inevitably going to be disappointing, but I'm still excited about it. I guess the problem for long term fans is, what you really want is for it to be the same as it was before, and it can never be that. As long as it doesn't have too much Abramsy-stink, it'll be alright.