That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
On 10/7/2019 at 12:19 PM, hallicks said:

Another Picard trailer released:

I know this is inevitably going to be disappointing, but I'm still excited about it. I guess the problem for long term fans is, what you really want is for it to be the same as it was before, and it can never be that. As long as it doesn't have too much Abramsy-stink, it'll be alright.

The trailers look good. I was almost excited until I remembered that this probably has a lot of the same writers etc as Discovery. Speaking of which, there was a trailer for season 3 of that shown at San Diego Comic Con this past weekend, and that one hasn't appeared anywhere online yet that I can find. Plenty of people talking about it, but not the actual trailer. 

• Paid Members

Ah, there it is. For some reason it doesn't work on my phone. I'll have a look when I get home. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I have to say that trailer made me pretty excited. Although a surprise if he did appear on camera would have been nice, to see Riker again did get a big grin out of me. Looks like some Borg cube thing going on and that supe'd up Romulan Bird of Prey looks pretty special. I'm hoping that's what it is and not just some Federation ship that looks the same. 

• Paid Members

If Leonard Nimoy was alive you know Spock would have turned up in this. I wonder whether they've got an appearance from Denise Crosby as Sela lined up, given the involvement of the Romulans. 

It looks great to me, and we're finally getting a NEW Trek series rather than one set earlier in the timeline, with the inevitable dissonance that causes.

If they're smart, they'll use this series to introduce a couple of good new, young characters who can go on to be the next proper crew for a subsequent series.

• Paid Members

There's quite a bit less Burnham in the Discovery season 3 trailer. That doesn't necessarily mean there's less Burnham in the series, but something as simple as a narrative shift to cover the crew will be good enough for me. 

20 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

If Leonard Nimoy was alive you know Spock would have turned up in this. I wonder whether they've got an appearance from Denise Crosby as Sela lined up, given the involvement of the Romulans. 

He's be turning up 900 years in the future for Discovery too, somehow back to the original timeline.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, simonworden said:

He's be turning up 900 years in the future for Discovery too, somehow back to the original timeline.

Control would have had information on him, or Pike would have seen him in his vision.

• 3 months later...

You won't be lost. It's not that deeply connected that you have to have seen all seasons of Trek and the movies etc. It does work better on some levels if you have, and obviously there are some pleasant surprises for the fans, but it's a perfectly watchable show by itself. They've done a great job of making something different.