That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

We're 4 episodes in now, and it's a 10 episode run. It's going so slowly. The BDSM sibling pseudo-incest is tired, nothing happens unless Picard is involved. He's comfortably the best thing about the show, but byfar the worst non "JL" thing is the way they

announce during the titles that Jeri Ryan is a "special guest star" only for her to be in  the last 5 seconds of the episode. Leave the credit out this week so it's a surprise reveal, then start crediting her from the following episode?

There was a nice blink and you missit moment where Doctor Datasdaughter does a little head tilt like what her daddy usually does. I still get a horrible feeling that the first 20 minutes of the final episode will be them recapping the previous 9 followed by approximately 25 minutes of frantic nothing, and then a 5 minute denouement, or even worse it'll build to a ridiculous cliffhanger.

It's getting panned by the critics.Well, Patrick Stewart isn't, but everything else is.

BDSM sibling pseudo-incest is tired, nothing happens unless Picard is involved.

I think they've miscast a lot of the people in it. I agree on the pseudo-incest thing, it comes across as incredibly forced. Like someone thought that was what made Game Of thrones work.

Stewart is brilliant, but, with all Kurtzman stuff, I can't help thinking that once again this is being made by people who have never really watched Star Trek.

Second season should be better as the team on board is really good.

• Paid Members

I wonder whether it'd be better if it was watched in two or three sessions rather than having to drag it out over 10 weeks? Maybe the pacing is suffering because of how long we have to wait between episodes. It's annoying that a lot of shows are made like this now. 

My main problem with it is that it's proper shite at the moment. Apart from Picard adopting a lost elf from LOTR, nothing happened in that episode, or at least nothing of any worth. Unbelievably crap dialogue, plodding story, wooden acting, 1D characters. The VFX are even annoying. 

Obviously I'll keep watching because I'm a wrestling fan.

Oh and as JG mentioned (😉) , way to telegraph the reveal at the end, lads. Horrendous. 

Edited by hallicks

• Paid Members

I may try and get through this week's then save the rest to watch in one go in about 6 weeks and see whether it improves things any. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not sure whether this needs hiding, but I thought

Jonathan Frakes is fantastic as Riker in this week's episode.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Nice to put a spoiler tag @jazzygeofferzbut you should indicate what the spoiler is. In your case I would put "spoilers for this week's Picard". 

Idon't evenknow whether it is a spoiler,to be honest.

• Paid Members

So from what I'm gathering of this episode

It looks like the big bad the Zhat Vash are trying to prevent is Control from Discovery?

This week's episode was back to more exposition and plodding. Things are falling into place for a rushed finale or cliffhanger. 

• Paid Members

So it looks like they're setting up for 2 things next week. 

One of those frenetic space battles like they had in Discovery, and Picard's consciousness being transferred into that android body.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:39 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

Not sure whether this needs hiding, but I thought

Hide contents

Jonathan Frakes is fantastic as Riker in this week's episode.

Right, I’d stalled on this but this encourages me to keep pushing on.

I will day though, after a great first episode it’s degenerated into the same problematic formula as Discovery, in that it feels like it’s a Star Trek series made by someone who’s only ever seen the reboot movies.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Loki said:

Right, I’d stalled on this but this encourages me to keep pushing on.

I will day though, after a great first episode it’s degenerated into the same problematic formula as Discovery, in that it feels like it’s a Star Trek series made by someone who’s only ever seen the reboot movies.

It's slow, then there'll be the occasional flourish  of something happening, then it'll slow down again. It's very character driven. If there's  a second series it may be a little better.