That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

Finally watched episode 4. The crew stuff was nice, but felt like "what should we have the crew do while Burnham is off saving the day". Saru's journey as Captain is so interesting. They're doing more things right, but still need less Burnham. 

The stuff with the computer was interesting. I wonder whether a heel turn is coming. 

• Paid Members

Nice Easter egg in this week's episode. The titles have been changed up a little bit as well. Be interesting to see where they go from here. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Some interesting plot points on Discovery this week. A nice cameo, asked a couple more questions going forward as well. The new spore jump sequence was nice. 

• Paid Members

I don't think she is because it's "her show" , but I won't pretend I don't like the idea of her leaving to allow the show to be based more around the crew more than it currently is. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Lots of interesting Easter Eggs in this week's episode. A nod to the "Kelvin timeline". Not as much Michael either. Very interesting to see where it's going. I still don't trust the Federation though. I'm waiting for a heel turn. 

• Paid Members

You can have them as the actual villains right now in a "they've lost their way since the burn" and then the crew of Discovery (read: Michael) helps show them the error if their way and remind them of proper Federation values. Then the next series is back to exploring strange new future worlds etc. 

• Awards Moderator
46 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Not Star Trek but.. The Expanse is back tomorrow with the first three episodes of season 5. Is there a general sci-fi thread at all?

Megathreads haven't been trendy since 2010. Go make an Expanse one. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Discovery series 3 finale was as rushed and underwhelming as ever. Burnham's Die Hard shtick (bare feet and all) was entirely expected. Even those new uniforms look a bit shit. I guess they have their justification for making her the central focus of the show now. 

I'll inevitably watch the next series, get drawn into the build and disappointed by the payoff again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Watched Lower Decks on Amazon Prime and I really enjoyed it. It has the most Star Trek "feel" in tht it's a thing of the week style show, but full to the brim of references and decent gags. Some nice cameos as well. Looking forward to season 2. They knew what they wanted to do, and they did it. Possibly because Kurtzman just left the creators and showrunners to  it. Half hour episodes mean they don't outstay their welcome either. Definitely worth a look.