That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

I was put off from the start by Irish Romulan, then Australian Romulan. Is the 8th episode the one with Riker & Troi? That's a really good episode because it feels like Jonathan Frakes has been living the gimmick, although Lower Decks Riker is still better. If you like ridiculously obvious foreshadowing and deus ex machina you'll love the finale. 

• Paid Members

I finished Picard. While the big space payoff appealed to my mark side, the damage was already done by hearing a Romulan talk about fucking. The actual resolution (wary of spoiling here) was quite Star Trek, but the last two episodes convoluted something which should have stayed simple. Which is the story’s problem all over, especially routinely confusing you who you want to see succeed at any particular moment for a particular reason when 20 minutes earlier you were looking forward to their death, or vice versa.

• Paid Members

A lot of the new Trek stuff suffers from too much build and not enough time for anything but a swift, throwaway resolution. 

• Paid Members

Honestly there’s been so little character development to half the bridge crew, at one point I assumed they were just rotating extras who occasionally drew straws to see who got a line this week.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Can anyone name the whole Discovery crew without looking?

Stamets I always remember because he's named after an actual mushroom enthusiast.

Tilly, Detmer, the one that originally played Airiam but plays a different character now, Owo, that bloke, Michael, Saru, Pike, Cuthbert, Dibble & Grubb. 

EDIT: I forgot Doctor Hugh, but be careful how you pronounce it. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Looks like we get Q for Picard series 2. It could be cool, but I'm taking more of a "let's see what they do to piss this one away" attitude.

My worry with any new STAR TREK these days is it seems nobody involved seems to have actually watched STAR TREK before. Alex Kurtzman really needs to just fuck off.

I had hope for PICARD but they didn't seem to utterly understand the character at all. Hopefully with a new showrunner we will see something better (Which is weird as I like Michael Chabon's novels)

Q is always great fun so I'll watch but i can't say I'm going in with any enthusiasm.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Discovery S3 last night. Maybe after the utter shit festival that was Picard, my expectations had been lowered beyond measure because I enjoyed it pretty much all the way through. It's not really Star Trek though, it's Star Trek doing Star Wars. Some issues:

Spoiler

- The Burn was caused by a screaming child (fellow parents - AMIRITE?)
- The inside of a starship is actually some hybrid of the Death Star/a Borg cube with huge cavernous areas for turbolifts. Just, what the fuck lads.
- The sphere data becomes a helpful robot named BB8. Actually, wait
- I learned to hold my breath for 10 minutes so this oxygen deprivation thing is fine. Now, that may be true, but it's ludicrous retrocharacterization to just drop it in there like that.
- The ship shows them a film to cheer them up and they're all laughing rioutously.
- Everyone mourning the passing of Georgiou despite her being the biggest shithead and openly antagonising them for months
- Admiral Beardface's inconsistent behaviour
- Federation/Emerald chain talks actually using the word "Capitalism" like we can't see the analogy that's been draped on every wall since episode 1
- Shite camerawork, particularly in the last episode with the 180 degree rotating fade to new scene. Urgh

Despite all that though, I really did love it!

• Paid Members

I know what you mean. When it's being Star Trek it's a good show, but then it also tries to be some epic sprawling show and just gets lost up its own backside. Already in the series 4 teaser they're setting up a "big bad" type situation where what they really need a a series of "we're all here on the 31st century, the burn has been dealt with, we need to rebuild the Federation." and them exploring and discovering new civilisations, as well as trying to reach out to former allies and federation races. You want to tell a bigger story? Do a 2 parter.