That Star Trek thread somebody was talking about

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
On 11/17/2021 at 10:24 AM, Loki said:

Let's be honest though, Discovery has been shit, so it's no big loss.  I've been rewatching the odd TNG episode in anticipation of it being removed soon anyway.  The new era series are nothing like the TNG/DS9 era in terms of quality or rewatchability.   Bring back episodical sci fi series please!

I think it's Paramount naively thinking people will be able to avoid spoilers for what could be 6 months then sign up for their service, and not just pirate the new episodes. 

@69MeDonthe episodes used to arrive on Paramount+ in the US on Thursday and then Netflix elsewhere on the Friday, meaning it was easier to avoid spoilers. 

I have questions. First up, if there has been no Starfleet Academy for the last 100+ years, where did all officers prior to the episode come from? Who trained them?

Second, the President of the Federation gets to decide on who captains a ship? Not the head of Starfleet?

Why does Booker get to go on away missions? Why does he get to turn up on the bridge and tell people what to do? He's not in Starfleet.

How many [CENA]fine speeches[/CENA] do we need in a single episode?

Why was everyone so very rocked by the death of station guy? They met him like an hour previous. They were acting like their dad died or something, not the guy who pulled and pointed a weapon at Tilly moments ago.

I did enjoy the Enterprise music when they revealed Archer Spacedock.

Edited by 69MeDon

20 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Star Trek: Discovery Season Four Lands on Paramount+ & Pluto TV Internationally

I think it's good that they realise it's a massively dropped bollock, but what a comedown.  Their prestige series is now premiering internationally on their absolute bottom feeder PlutoTV platform as it's at least available in a lot of places.

Also available to buy on major digital platforms from Friday.

For free on PlutoTV?

I'm piriating it either way tbh.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I can't be arsed. If it'd still been on Netflix I would have been watching it, but since CBS did the bollocks they did I can't be bothered chasing stuff down on some free streaming thing at a specific time on a particular day and don't have the resources to download it from anywhere. 

• Paid Members

When it's being a Star Trek show it's good, but all too often it's busy trying to be this huge sci-fi overarching plot thing about Michael Burnham, and it can get a bit tiresome. I did enjoy some of the Die Hard nods in the episode where she had to retake the ship, so it's not all Burnham. She's a good character, but aside from the series Picard star Trek has never just been about a single character. It just always turns into the same circular argument. I hope they've fixed it for season 4 as every year it feels like they're getting closer to it being a proper Star Trek show, but I'm not going to be finding out for a while because of what CBS did. I just hope they don't do the same thing for Strange New Worlds and series 3 of Lower Decks. Mind you they probably wouldn't want to try and pull that with Amazon. 

• Paid Members

I've been fairly up to date with it and now the story is less Discovery-centric and more 'Fed-centric;' it's certainly an easier watch. That said, I think the initial arguments around Burnham were 'why is she the focus' but that was the point perhaps, that it wasn't about her being in the chair. That's changed now obviously but it's still an enjoyable show. Lower Decks is still the best Trek to come out since DS9 mind.

On 12/24/2021 at 9:19 AM, Merzbow said:

I was wondering if someone was going to finally post about Discovery, is no-one watching it either? I sacked it off really early on this season, it's just not for me anymore.

I watched episode one of the new season and then half of the second episode and kind of checked out. It just seemed like every scene included people giving speeches or constantly talking in really grandiose terms about stuff. I plan to watch the rest of the season, though. Will probably catch up tomorrow.

• 3 months later...
39 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Not even that could get me to watch that pile of shit.

Enjoyed the first series, however the 2nd thus far is utterly shite. It's the Heroes thing again (great first seties, shocking second) and should have stayed as a one shot. 

On 4/5/2022 at 8:32 PM, johnnyboy said:

Set fire to your internet level spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

TNG crew back for Picard season 3.  On the Paramount Plus Twitter and some of the actors have already posted.  Announced before leaked?

The Simpsons GIF