The Mae Young Classic

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

"The first four episodes of the single-elimination tournament will be available on demand starting Monday, Aug. 28. Episodes 5-8 will be available on demand on Monday, Sept. 4. The final match will stream live from Las Vegas on Tuesday, Sept. 12, at 10 p.m. ET"

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, TheBurningRed said:

Was surprised about Serena. I hadn't even seen rumours about her being in it.

Page 2 of this thread:

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:23 AM

Apparently Serena is in negotiations to be in it.

Surprised a couple more vets aren't in it.

So, have they said what's in it for the winner? I think I know where it's going. Main roster spot and shot for the brand of their choice. They'll sign a few of the Indy standouts like with the CWC. Who's everyone betting in terms of them? I'm guessing Mia Yim among them.

• Paid Members

Maybe I'm being too cynical, I know she's been a huge fan for years, but deep down Shayna Baszler must know that a huge reason they've brought her in is on the off chance it leads to something with Ronda. 

• Paid Members

Triple H posted a photo with Rousey yesterday as she was at the tapings so presumably it already has?

Haven't read spoilers so I don't know in what capacity but she's turned up.

• Paid Members

I've not read any spoilers, but I'm not surprised Ronda is there. It seems inevitable that they'll bring her in. She's finished in the UFC, whereas an 8-woman Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen match would be perfect for a Summerslam or Wrestlemania.  

• Paid Members

In theory, it would be a no-brainer of a match in terms of business and hype. In practice, I'm not sure it would work. It's not like the Malone/Rodman tag match where each guy had a pro on their side to lead them through, you will have 4 without virtually any experience (well, 3 as Shayna has a couple of years behind her) against 4 of the best in the industry. It could be an absolute mess. They'd need a LOT of smoke and mirrors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2017 at 3:45 PM, Jon-Carr_92 said:

So, have they said what's in it for the winner? I think I know where it's going. Main roster spot and shot for the brand of their choice. They'll sign a few of the Indy standouts like with the CWC. Who's everyone betting in terms of them? I'm guessing Mia Yim among them.

With the timing being as it is (tournament starting one week after SummerSlam) I see it panning out along the lines of:

- Asuka wins her match at Takeover that weekend

- Debuts on the main roster at SummerSlam or the following week's TV.

- Vacates the NXT Women's Title that Wednesday at Full Sail in her NXT farewell.

- They then announce when the tournament begins the following Monday that the winner becomes the new NXT Women's Champion.

Every female on the NXT roster has tried and failed to beat Asuka, so throwing a new girl straight in the mix with the belt: Ember, Ruby, Nikki, Peyton, Billie, etc. all have somebody else to challenge.

• Paid Members

I don't think they'll have Asuka vacate the belt - nor do I think they should. A winning streak is worthless if someone doesn't end it and get the rub from it.

Ember's taking the belt from Asuka at Takeover, surely? She's been clearly built up as the heir to the throne, and with the best protected finisher in the company. Either Ember wins at Takeover, or Asuka wins without taking the Eclipse, to build to a rematch where the whole story is "could the result be different if Ember can hit her finisher?".

The winner of the tournament should just get a big trophy and a title shot.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

The first four episodes of this went up today and it's pretty much what I hoped it would be, I love the format of picking a favourite then watching them have a sudden death tourney match and there's a great variety of looks and styles which keeps it interesting. My wrestling fandom is currently at a low ebb and my attention span for it is shit so it's perfect. All my favourites seem to be facing each other though which is a bit of a bummer.

The commentary is pretty rough but I can't think of anyone who'd be better than a beloved wwe hall of fame diva and someone who's considered one of the best announcers ever.

Archived