The Mae Young Classic

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

For many it's probably going to be one giant piss break but I'm really looking forward to the Mae Young Classic. I've always enjoyed all kinds of women's wrestling and the cruiserweight tournament they did was my favourite thing in wrestling for ages. I love the format and I'm fully expecting this to be great.

These are apparently the first half of the entrants, a couple of names sound vaguely familiar but I don't really know any of them, who should I be looking out for?

Mary Kate, Evie, Lacey Evans, Julia Ho, Zhao Xia, Taynara Melo, Danielle Kamela, Demi Bennett, Kairi Hojo, Marti Belle, Bianca Blair, Kimber Lee, Thea Trinidad, Nixon Newell, Sarah Logan, Mia Yum & Victoria Gonzalez

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nixon Newell's great! She's from the valleys so I've seen her wrestle loads locally and I've watched her effectively grow up in the ring and go from a fairly green teenager to getting signed by WWE so that was a proud moment for me. Mainly seen her do intergender stuff so it'll  be interesting to see her in this tournament.

Yeah. First saw Nixon quite early on at a show that had about 70. Will be great to see her in it and nice for her to be the first full female member of my Pre-WWE Club. Especially someone I've seen improve vastly.

Also, didn't realise Marti Belle left TNA. I know Mia Yim/Jade did around the same time as the Hardyz. I think those 2 are still rumoured at the moment.

• Paid Members

A few of those are women in NXT who haven't done much yet. Lacey Evans is doing some gimmick where she dresses like she's from the 50s. Kimber Lee is good. Be good to see Sarah Logan do something and show off her talents. I'm hoping Candice LeRae is in it. She's great. She was in that battle royal recently which a few of these women were in and was over with the fans who booed when she was eliminated and she's married to Johnny Gargano so I can't see why she wouldn't be.

• Paid Members

Io Shirai will be added to that list soon. Mia Yim was always going to be a shoe-in for a WWE contract at some point, so it's good to see her there.

Are the two Chinese girls any good, have they worked for any known promotions at all? Or are they HoHo Lun equivalents?

I'm genuinely surprised KLR isn't in this (I know there are more names to announce). Hell, I'm surprised she isn't under contract already, I thought they'd have snapped her up by now.

Like others I have seen Nixon Newell a lot. Her feud with Chris Brookes in Fight Club Pro was immense and is very worth visiting if you have not already. 

I saw Kimber Lee a couple of times for Chikara and was always impressed, like Nixon she is experienced with the inter gender work which I only think is a great benefit in training. 

I too would love to see Candice LeRae in this, she is immense. With the fact she is married to Johnny Gargano this can only help matters I would think.

I have a feeling KLR will get a call up to this tournament, she is working so hard and putting on great matches everywhere, same goes to Toni Storm!

I heard a couple of months ago that Jinny was involved, but not sure if that is still the case? 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Io Shirai will be added to that list soon.

The Observer were saying that Io won't be in it as she's not finished up all of her dates with STARDOM yet - doesn't necessarily mean anything, as if the dates don't clash she could always work the Mae Young Classic and go back to finish up her remaining bookings, but it sounds like they might be preparing her for a more focused debut on her own rather than one of a crowd.

Of the people announced, Kimber Lee is superb, and I've worked with her, so I'll be rooting for her in that respect. Nixon Newell is absolutely superb, and still only a young'un, so I can see them getting invested in her as she could have a long run. Kairi Hojo is absolutely brilliant, with the best top rope elbow drop I've ever seen.

A fair few people in this will be the lower rungs of the NXT women's division, so trainees hired from outside the industry, so I'm not expecting the match quality across the board to compare with the Cruiserweight Classic, though it should provide some good insight into who they've got high hopes for.

Will be interesting to see who else is announced - I'm hoping for a WWE veteran to fill the kind of role Brian Kendrick had in the CWC, though it's hard to think of any suitable; Victoria perhaps is the most likely, but who knows? I'd also love for Manami Toyota to show up - she's retiring in November, and it would be nice to see her get a WWE match or two, lend some credibility to the tournament and put someone over strong - or for Sara Del Rey to take part; could tell some fun stories with her as the trainer of the whole division.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Will be interesting to see who else is announced - I'm hoping for a WWE veteran to fill the kind of role Brian Kendrick had in the CWC, though it's hard to think of any suitable; Victoria perhaps is the most likely, but who knows? 

Ithe should be Kelly Kelly obviously.

Who's KLR?

Mary Kate is, I believe, the former Rosie Lottalove in TNA, probably best known for sitting on Daphne with undue force and breaking her ribs or whatever it was.
Evie is pretty decent - she's from New Zealand and has worked Stardom over in Japan.

Hojo will be the one to watch. She is fantastic. IF Shirai gets in the tournament and gets matched against Hojo, and they are allowed to go all-out, then they will have an incredible match. 

Agree that Nixon is also really good so can see her doing well. Same with Mia Yim.
WWE seem high on Bianca Blair so she might do well but have no idea how she is in the ring.

Should be an interesting tournament. Keen to see who the other 16 entrants are.

4 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

I don't know any of these women but the tournament format is great to watch, as we saw with the CC and UK Tournaments. I will be tuning into this.

I prefer how they show the matches from the bracket in a different order, so next match isn't the one that sets up the next round with the winner of the previous match. It's a better structure so they can feature a stronger match for each episode's Main Event.

Archived