The Mae Young Classic

Bellenda Carlisle

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Commentary didn't put me off too much, but obviously they could have put together a far superior team than these two.

I watched the whole of the first round of matches last night and found them to be very hit and miss in quality, but I do love a tournament and I enjoyed watching talent I'd never seen before.

I think JR is only as good as his colour guy these days. Enjoyed him with Nigel to a degree and thought he was decent as a second to Mauro. But fuck me whoever thought a two man booth with him and Lita was a good idea wants taking to the woodshed.

Largely enjoyed the matches so far. Typical 5 min tv match format for 3/4 of the first round with some nice showcase matches.

Been pleasantly surprised by a couple of the ladies I didn't know. Had never seen Renee Michelle before but aside from looking a bit lazy running the ropes on a couple of spots, thought she had the makings of someone they could get behind. Pleasantly surprised by Miranda Salinas and Taynara Conti for different reasons. Conti looked useful for someone of limited experience and Salinas had her heel schtick down.

Thought Marti Belle and Nicole Savoy struggled to carry their opponents. Rachel Evers looked awkward as hell.

Of the lasses I'd seen bits and bobs of Dakota Kai did a good job of making Kavita Devi look like more than just a lump of muscle. I thought she sold really well and what little offence she had looked really crisp.

With the exception of Savoy and Belle the girls you thought would deliver, did. I've liked Tessa Blanchard for a bit, but she looked excellent in there with Kairi Sane.

1 hour ago, The Dart said:

Only watched one episode so far, but I think Vanessa Borne has future WWE women's champ written right on her forehead.

She's got a look and size they'd like for sure. This is the first time I've been impressed by her, but yeah I thought she worked really well with Serena.

• Paid Members

To say she's from a wrestling family and was trained by Lance Storm, Rachel Evers (Ellering) is absolutely rotten. Awful physique and look too.

Bianca Belair was a favourite of mine- think she's got a great name, great look, great gimmick with the hair and an amazing athletic physique.

For those that may be wondering about Kairi's ring attire, she's a yachtsperson, she yachtsman, she likes boating

Yes, Jim Ross really did say "she yachtsman". Obviously it wouldn't have taken much research to find out that yachtswoman is indeed a word. You'd think he'd be emphasizing the pirate princess gimmick that came about because of her legit yachting background, but these days he's a shadow of the announcer he was. He's that bad I'm wondering why they didn't go back and overdub lots of things. 

• Awards Moderator

Watched the first four episodes and the bracketology tonight - thought episodes 1 and 4 were the best. Some surprise results - didn't expect Kay Lee Ray or Jazzy to go out so soon - and some decent matches, with Kairi vs Blanchard probably my favourite.

MMA 4 Horsewomen vs WWE 4 Horsewomen at WrestleMania?

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

To say she's from a wrestling family and was trained by Lance Storm, Rachel Evers (Ellering) is absolutely rotten. Awful physique and look too.

Bianca Belair was a favourite of mine- think she's got a great name, great look, great gimmick with the hair and an amazing athletic physique.

I agree on Evers, which was a shame because I quite like Marti Belle and think she'd do alright in WWE.

• Paid Members

I've really got into this show now, can't wait for the rest, really enjoying the diversity of physiques, looks and styles. It's a shame Taynara Conti went out in the first round, she's lovely and I thought she was gonna go far.

Also Tessa Blanchard does a great job of being ugly and hot at the same time. 

• Paid Members

I'm two episodes deep and I can't stand JR. The length of time he took to twig on how to pronounce both Princesa and Sugehit was pathetic, and he just exudes an aura of a bloke who can't be arsed. Lazy mentions of "experience" and "personal journey" without elaboration, inane references to stuff that has nothing to do with what the wrestler is trying to portray, no particular reaction when wrestlers hit or come close to hitting what we know to be their finish... in knowing who's in there and what's going on, he gets shown up by Lita at some points. I can't imagine a pro commentator for a real sport rocking up so ill-prepared and have long believed "JR is a great commentator" to be a total myth. He's REALLY doing my nut in on this.

• Paid Members

Blitzed through the first four episodes last night (I did fast forward the odd match), so a few thoughts:

• KLR is brilliant. It doesn't surprise me, as her reputation precedes herself, but WWE need to snap her up now. I think she'll do well in NXT but I honestly think she'd slot right into the main roster, plenty of charisma and polished in the ring. Very impressed. Sugehit was ok.
  • Abbey Laith is lovely, there's just something appealing about her that makes you want her to do well. Very good in-ring.
  • Jazzy Alpha Female Gabert has a TREMENDOUS look, I think her wrestling style needs to compliment her appearance more though. She was good, but certainly room for improvement in the ring. Needs to work the crowd better and at the right moments too, the crowd were well into this and she could've raised them up to another level
  • Xia Li - given the fact she is probably the least experienced wrestler there by some distance - impressed me. She gave a good account of herself and got the crowd clapping along with her. Fair play to her, she fared much better than many of the NXT/developmental girls
  • Shayna Baszler was pretty shit in the ring, you can tell she's a relative novice as she moved about quite awkwardly. I'm definitely willing to overlook that though, because she looks and acts like a right nasty prick (although a little like a female Baron Corbin, no?). She's clearly there to tease or promote a big 4 Horsewomen battle and fluff Ronda's pillows, but that's fine.
  • Kairi Sane is adorable. Absolute sweetheart. Very good match against Tessa (who also impressed me a lot) and my god- that elbow drop is going to be everyone's favourite move of 2018 in the WWE Universe. Has she nicked it from one of the Street Fighter 3 Alpha characters? Either way it's a thing of beauty and I'm already a fan of hers.
  • Piper/Viper was excellent as expected. Bit of a contrast to her WOS appearance, which had a greater emphasis on character, but she's obviously brilliant. Delighted she was included in this as initially I feared that the WOS deal (if that even is still a thing) would prevent her from taking part
  • Kavita Devi- did they just tell her to go out there and be Khali? She was even gurning and walking like him!
  • Lacey Evans will be NXT Women's champion by the end of 2018
  • Others I liked: Sarah Logan, Mia Yim, Santana, Toni Storm. Wasn't impressed with Evers. Some of the others were clearly very green (Rhea Ripley, Miranda Salinas, Taynara Conti) but didn't disgrace themselves. Zeda and Belair looked pretty decent.

Archived