The Mae Young Classic

Bellenda Carlisle

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Just now, Supremo said:

I've only watched Episode 1 so far. Is Shayna actually good, then? Do people think she'd have made the finals if she wasn't pals with Rousey? 

She's green but I enjoyed her more than Kairi Sane, who you'll find throughout is good at getting beat up and doing an elbow.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Do people think she'd have made the finals if she wasn't pals with Rousey? 

Absolutely not. Her reaching the finals is certainly a set-up for bigger things involving Rousey and her posse.

As mentioned after I watched her first match, she's pretty shit in the ring and fumbles around awkwardly, but she definitely has that something that makes you forget how pony her ringwork is. She looks like a nasty little prick and carries herself accordingly. I like her, she makes me look forward to her matches. 

I thought last nights finals show was fantastic. It was kept short and sweet but the presentation was great and even though the match itself wasn't necessarily the best match of the tourny workrate wise it had that big time feel to it which made it seem special. Kairi winning was the right move long term I think as she can now be slotted right into the NXT women's title picture. Baszler still needs a bit of polish but she looks and acts like a star so hopefully we'll see some big things from her in the future.

Overall the tournament was a massive success for me. It didn't have the workrate or movez of the Cruiserweight Classic but it had an incredible depth of characters and personalities on show that I felt was missing in the CC. Almost all of the women had something to offer and I hope they sign the vast majority of them ASAP.

After all the hype about Shayna I checked out that match with her "mentor".  She is suuuuper green and really not ready for television at all.  She's got a bit of attitude though and hopefully will get good via the Performance Centre.

The little face-off between the WWE Horsewoman and the MMA Horsewomen was cringingly bad though.  None of them have the acting skills to pull off an impromptu moment like that.  Compare it to Undertaker eyeballing Lesnar after his UFC fight for how it's done.

It's a great Wrestlemania type angle/match but they need to apply some pro wrestling magic to the whole thing and not promote this as "legit" or shoot otherwise it will fall flat on its face.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Loki said:

The little face-off between the WWE Horsewoman and the MMA Horsewomen was cringingly bad though.  None of them have the acting skills to pull off an impromptu moment like that.  Compare it to Undertaker eyeballing Lesnar after his UFC fight for how it's done.

Was that the backstage/outside skit? If so, then definitely agree.

I think the best thing by a mile was when Baszler started to walk up the ramp, stopped and then slowly turned to the WWE women to her left. The crowd OOOOHHH'd in unison. I thought that part was good, Baszler played her part well and looked boss.

horsewomen.jpg

I think Shayna was excellent all tournament. It's no surprise to me that someone with her background carries herself with such confidence, swagger and legitimacy. She's blended her MMA with pro wrestling really well, not only with her big moves but little touches like shooting double-legs after teasing lockups. I think her facials are excellent, telling a great story for the cameras, even if her mannerisms maybe aren't "big" enough for bigger live crowds to appreciate. The change in her expression when Kairi started unloading chops was brilliant - from "you silly little bint" to "oh shit what have I done!". She had a good nose for knowing when to throw lazy but accurate strikes then lay it in. And at the end of the day, helpful booking and road agents aside, she held her own and carried her end in a competitive high profile main event against an opponent for whom English is a second language.

Overall, I thought the Classic was another great success. All the girls were presented as stars, acquitted themselves at least adequately, and got over with me. I loved the spotlight during matches. There was a lot of filler talent, but I think the standouts were Gabert, Martinez, Storm, Laith and, obviously, Sane.

I don't really care for an MMA vs WWE Horsewomen angle, but it could be good to have Shayna carry the name from Ronda to set up her own team of heels, like Gabert, Martinez and Blanchard, with Ronda free to do an angle with Steph  or something. There's a good multi woman match there, plus spinoffs feuds for Charlotte vs Blanchard (true Horsewomen), Gabert vs Bayley (classic heel/face), Martinez vs Sasha (boss vs boss), and Shayna vs Becky (choke vs armbar).

I think this makes more sense than the winner getting the vacant championship that was rumoured as it would seem a little odd to crown a new person to WWE with an established championship unlike the CWC where it became to crown the inugural champion of the new Crusierweight Title since they were bringing the division back. There's lots they can do for the match. Can easily make it a 4 way elimination for one. Can see the next set of NXT tapings to focus on the qualifiers for the other spot(s)

Terrific final. I've enjoyed the whole tournament. Particularly as I hadn't been on my Network as of late besides staying up to watch SummerSlam as I've found the weekly NXT show a bit of a drag from time to time recently, but I'm sure to get going on it again before long.

Archived