The Mae Young Classic

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I laughed my head off when they said that Kavita Devi had been trained by Khali. It showed!

"I learnt everything from The Great Khali" has got to be one of the worst boasts I've heard in a while. 

Can anyone recommend any good matches from Abbey Laith as whoever she was before this? Gotta agree with Punkstep that there's something really appealing about her.

Did they mention when the next stage of the tourney is happening or being aired?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Call me Bellend said:

Did they mention when the next stage of the tourney is happening or being aired?

I believe the 2nd Round, Quarterfinals and Semifinals are being shown on 4th September.

The Final is live on 12th September (after Smackdown).

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Call me Bellend said:

Can anyone recommend any good matches from Abbey Laith as whoever she was before this? Gotta agree with Punkstep that there's something really appealing about her.

She was Kimber Lee/Princess Kimber Lee before she came to NXT - pretty much any of her matches with Heidi Lovelace (Ruby Riot) is worth checking out.

Vs. Heidi

Vs. Mickie James

Vs. Kassius Ohno;

And just for a cheap plug, a match I refereed for CIWW between her and Ophidian;

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Call me Bellend said:

It's a shame she probably won't make the main roster. Vince is going to go apeshit when he sees her midriff.

And just for a cheap plug, a match I refereed for CIWW between her and Ophidian

KILL HER PATRICK, KILL HER :laugh:

I've only watched the first episode, those matches weren't too bad, worst being that one with Bayzler. Do you only have to have four people in a group to get an instant comparison to The Horsemen? Four Horsewomen of NXT, I can't even name the  Four Horsewomen of MMA. There Ronda Rousey, Bayzler here, Roderick Strong's misses and the other one.

Was a real suprise to see Brigette Nielson go out in the first round  though. I watched the bracketology to try and gage who might do well as the usually give a lot more screentime to the ones who they want to push.

I can't believe how poor JR is now. And he bust out his "only the winners advance" line twice. I mean, it's a good thing he mentions it so we can differentiate this from all those other tournaments were the losers progress.

Having said that, I will be watching more as it is nice to see something out of the realm of the main roster and NXT with some fresh faces

2 hours ago, Call me Bellend said:

"I learnt everything from The Great Khali" has got to be one of the worst boasts I've heard in a while. 

Yep, the only thing he has going for him is that he's 7 feet tall, and you can't teach that.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Yep, the only thing he has going for him is that he's 7 feet tall, and you can't teach that.

Brilliant.

Just finished the first round. Some good ones there and a few surprising first round exits. Liking Bianca Belair, Dakota Kai and Kairi Sane myself. Great to see Piper Niven in it and interesting to hear JR mention the World Of Sport special from last year. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

• Paid Members

Caught up with this myself last night - a lot of surprising first round exits, as Jon says above. It seemed to me that the average quality of competitor was higher here that in the Cruiserweight Classic, which given the comparatively short period of time where women's wrestling has been treated 'seriously' across the business was a surprise to me. I might be misremembering the CWC, but I don't seem to recall competitors of the quality (and with the notoriety) of Jazzy Gabert, Marti Belle, Sage Beckett, Santana Garrett Kay Lee Ray, Sarah Logan & Tessa Blanchard all crashing out early.

That said - I particularly enjoyed how the guy in the front row with the KLR t-shirt seemed to have the life sucked out of him by her early exit. After that, all he could muster was half-hearted applause/tapping on the barrier for anything.

Surprised to see the love for Bianca Belair. Thought she was one of the weaker competitors, but each to their own.

Anyone know why they've gone for the 'binge watch' approach to releasing this tournament? Was the final always set for 12th September? 

Edit: whoops, didn't think regarding a potential spoiler. Comment removed entirely. Cheers @HarmonicGenerator. Sorry anyone else.

Really enjoyed round one. Like some others was surprised by some of the first round exits. Abby Laith probably my stand out. Always enjoyed her stuffnas Kimber Lee.

Whats not to love about Kairi Sane? That elbow drop is ridiculously good.

I don't think you can just give the NXT women's title to the winner of this but they defo should be in a match at takeover for it. Maybe have them face the winner of a Battle Royal (or some sort of qualifier) for the title. A potential Kairi Sane vs Ember Moon match would be a lot of fun. 

Also finally got caught up last night. KLR/Sugehita, Jazzy/Abbey, Logan/Yim, Kairi/Tessa were all fantastic matches, but I have to say my favourite match was actually Viper/Garrett. Viper is a stunning woman, obvs.

The only weaker matches in my mind were Evers/Belle (apparently according to the Observer they changed this result on the fly because Belle was so bad? but in my mind she was definitely not the weaker aspect of that match, so that's confusing if true) and Savoy/Gonzalez which just didn't have a chance to stand out warming up for Kairi

In terms of someone I knew zilch about who impressed me, Rhea Ripley. Good look, athleticism, charisma and just 20 years old. I'm also a bit in love with Dakota Kai and sad those two meet each other in the next round.

Commentary was far from great but didn't let it bother me too much. I did like JR's line about how Mia Yim was trained by "the handsome Tajiri", though that's about it. Should've replaced with Mauro when they had the opportunity, who I'm not the biggest fan of or anything but they're leagues apart in terms of passion today.

Also caught this screenshot of Johnny Gargano watching Candice's match. Think he might fancy her or some shit..

DI2MD2BXoAA_Sbs.jpg:large

• Paid Members

Only just got around to finishing the fourth episode last night, but Kairi Sane vs. Tessa Blanchard was a fine match to end on. Kairi just has something about her that’s so endearing, and was impressed by Tessa seeing her in a competitive match rather than a 5-minute squash on NXT.

• Paid Members

If you weren't impressed with Bianca Belair during her first round match, you will be for her second round match. For somebody with such little experience she did a very good job controlling the match with Kairi and showcased herself well. Those hair whips were viscous! She's got a tonne of potential.

Archived