The Mae Young Classic

Bellenda Carlisle

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rene, “oooooh-ing” not withstanding, seems to have been taking tips from Nigel McGuiness. Regarding Zatara, “over 10 years experience and over 180 matches”. Let’s hope it’s well over 180, otherwise she’s only had 1 match every 3 weeks.

Not seen the majority of these women before, so these shows are all I’ve got to go on:

* Tegan Nox was OK, Zatara moved so slow it was like she was wrestling under water

* MJ Jenkins showed more personality in her intro video than Ember Moon has in 2 years. And I’ve said it before but i’ll Say it again, Rhea Ripley :love:. Really enjoyed this match

* Lacey Lane buggering up that springboard arm drag- people botch moves, it happens. What’s worse is Vanessa Kraven still taking the bump because that’s what the spot was is far worse. And she’s been wrestling for 14 years supposedly. Lane looks like she could do well though and certainly got the crowd on her side

* “it’s always great to hear from Natalya”, speak for yourself Cole. “It’s Meiko time!”, Vince isn’t in your ear, you don’t have to do that shit tonight

* Meiko was great as always, reckon she’ll go to the semis as I don’t see her sticking around, similar to when Kota Ibushi was in the Cruiserweight Classic.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

* Meiko was great as always, reckon she’ll go to the semis as I don’t see her sticking around, similar to when Kota Ibushi was in the Cruiserweight Classic.

Difference being they had hope/expected to sign Ibushi beforehand. Meiko is only here for this, she IS Sendai Girls.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Lane looks like she could do well though and certainly got the crowd on her side.

She had the benefit of being announced from the place where the taping took place, to be fair.

I like pretty much everything about Killer Kelly except her ring name. Awful, awful ring name.

The music they’ve given Meiko Satamura is brilliant.

• Paid Members

I'd never heard of Killer Kelly but I was completely sold on her after a very short time. I'm also really glad to see Rhea Ripley back, she's great.

I guess it's OK to say spoilers from the shows that have been on TV but don't post anything that hasn't aired yet unless you warn and put it in spoiler tags please.

• Paid Members

Agree on Killer Kelly, she looks like she could do well in the future. Meiko is, unsurprisingly, ace.

Not sold on Lacey Lane. Rhea Ripley is really Good, but her new gimmick feels a bit forced. Hopefully that's just on first look, and she grows into it.

Pretty good first show all in all. Looking forward to next week.

• Paid Members

Finally watched it. Enjoyed the matches, 50/50 on the presentation, which is par for the course when I try and watch anything put on by "the Universe" these days. Michael "to advance!" Cole being the token at the comm desk nearly made me watch it on mute. Backstage interview with the always irrelevant Nattie, bonus "why??" points. They've really carved a niche out for her over the last 18 months as portrayed as a legend despite having achieved nothing more spectacular than longevity, haven't they?

First match was bittersweet. I've been in love with Nixon/Tegan for years so knowing she's crocked again made it a tough watch. Cole blew my mind by saying Zatara was the most physical woman in the tournament when she's not even the most physical in this episode. As well as the 180 matches gaffe, Renee dropped words to the effect of "I talked to Tegan about if the ACL would affect her.... it doesnt look like it will!" You talked to her? Welllllll.... what did she say??? Baffling.

2 hours ago, mim731 said:

Rhea Ripley is really Good, but her new gimmick feels a bit forced. 

I didn't get that at all, but what I really could have done without is the halfwits at the desk trying to force feed a Charlotte comparison that I in no way would have made on my own power. Really not required in the slightest.

Kraven vs Lane impressed me more as a match than what came before because there was a story told and I could get immediately who each character was without (in spite of?) what the comms team told me. Having said that Renee actually surprised me with the little story about Ruby Riott's match with Kraven which impressed me more than every identikit soundbyte about "wrestled all over the world" and "tough upbringing" combined. In addition she made another brilliant point about the friends and family getting to see how "big" a deal it is ; it's not always apparent to non fans what being a wrestler is all about unless you've made it to the top and I thought that was quite thought-provoking. It's possible at this rate Young will find her feet and show that she's got insights to go with her obvious likeability if she can hold the nerves at bay and avoid dribble like "180 matches" again. Lane looked alright and the Florida native factor will stand her in good stead for a run in proper NXT, she's got a real chance of making it if she develops well.

Lastly, Meiko did her thing and I was delighted with how authentic a Meiko match we got in their environment. She gave Kelly lots and I appreciate the latter more and "get" who she is far more than after previous matches under their banner, on tv and in person. Admittedly as a fan of both Japanese wrestling and women's wrestling hearing Cole and Renee discuss "Joshi Strong Style" made me feel a bit ill. Satomura did what the best do - let the other person get their shit in, look a threat, look worth beating before you beat them. She'll have a great match with either Mercedes or Ashley based on their respective talent and experience, I expect a hard fought win (maybe requiring a Scorpion Rising) before she puts over one of the ones they're signing in the quarters to give them the big rub.

Enjoyable start so far but I honestly won't buzz big time until Io shows up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I didn't get that at all, but what I really could have done without is the halfwits at the desk trying to force feed a Charlotte comparison that I in no way would have made on my own power. Really not required in the slightest.

That was fucking nonsense, didn't get it at all. I don't think Rhea's gimmick feels forced, I think I like her even more than I did last year.

Have just caught up with the first two weeks.

Impressed with MJ Jenkins, Lacey Lane [despite the botch] and Aerial Monroe, none of whom I had seen before.
Kacey Catanzaro looks like she could be great and the visual of her v Gonzalez was quite something. Kacey's unique entrance into the ring and her handstands on the ropes really made her stand out and she could be the Bianca Belair of this tournament in my opinion. Very impressed.

Massively disappointed in Zeuxis. She seemed sloppy and lost [although the match winning Spanish Fly was very impressive].
Hopefully her next match v Io/Xia [I'm guessing Io] is better. 

Not fully sold on Rhea Ripley yet but we shall see. 

Meiko v Mercedes in the next round should be very good indeed. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Massively disappointed in Zeuxis. She seemed sloppy and lost [although the match winning Spanish Fly was very impressive].
Hopefully her next match v Io/Xia [I'm guessing Io] is better.

This has got to be one of the safest guesses in recent memory. If Io v Kairi doesn't happen in NXT within the next 12 months I will cry/commit seppuku.

• Paid Members

The lass who looked like Paige was really off putting with her one facial expression that she seemed to pull the whole way through the match. 

Didn’t watch the first MYC, but, I put this one on as a bit of background noise before work while getting ready and must admit, I’ve really enjoyed it so far. 

Killer Kelly (name aside) has some real upside and seems to actually ‘get’ her gimmick rather than just generic wrestler who acts angry. I was impressed with her at the U.K. Championship Tourney, also.

• Paid Members

Catanzaro v Reina Gonzales was great, I remember liking Gonzales as the giant in chaps and an eyepatch from last year but didn't realise she was back til her intro. I loved the size difference and clash of styles, super fun match, everything I want from wrestling really. 

Who was Aerial Monroe? She was cool.

Archived