The Mae Young Classic

Bellenda Carlisle

Jinny looked quite slick in the ring, but has that anorexic look going that makes it look unlikely she could hang with some of the stronger ladies (though clearly she can in reality).

Toni Storm looks like Vince's idea of a female wrestler, so I think she might win the whole thing.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Loki said:

Toni Storm looks like Vince's idea of a female wrestler, so I think she might win the whole thing.

The first time I saw Toni in FutureShock the first thing I noticed was how attractive she was and I became quite enamoured by her smile and general likability so naturally rooted for her to get opportunities. Over the years the work in the gym really transformed her work and she became sought after here and in Japan because she was having great matches. It's no coincidence the physique helps, and I point to the Bellas as an example, how Nikki did a lot of strength work in the gym and advanced to "passable" whereas Bri is still weedy and never got beyond "shite."

It's not just strength for the sake of lifting or doing power moves ; if you're stronger you're more in control of your opponent during offensive moves and your stuff is safer and looks better. I know people get a hard on for wrestlers not having to look like wrestlers any more as long as they are "a good worker" and if it's just mass for appearance that's true, but there's a reason the stereotype of wrestler is "strong" - the good ones usually are.

Absolutely, and it's been a nice feature of the "women's revolution" that a more athletic, stronger physique has become the accepted look, rather than the model look of the Diva era.  I hadn't thought about the safety aspect but that seems absolutely true to me.  

• Paid Members

Caught up now. Still on the fence about the production, Cole pisses me off and Kayla is annoying me with her smileyness.

Deonna does a great job of selling how important this tournament is. WWE produced stuff feels really soulless when there are no stakes for the winner or loser so I'm more than happy to get behind someone who makes it seem important to win.

Kacy has a story too, it made sense for her to steal a flash pin win. Her hope spots against Rhea are going to look great until she eventually gets crushed.

Hearing Michael Cole talk about "Spanish Fly from the top rope" as though that's the variant, Kacy's somersault legdrop as a "senton" and Mercedes' inverted sunset driver as a "modified brainbuster" (not even fucking close) made me cry that I can't be that shit at my job and still get paid. I'd rather have "what a manoeuvre" back.

E3 was fucking loaded. I'm madly in love with Kaitlyn. Her match delighted me for this reason but in fairness Kavita wasn't as immobile as last time I saw her. Really looking forward to seeing Kaitlyn against an experienced opponent next time.

Jinny's video was effective at telling anyone who she is that didn't know already. Toni, of course, is a star. She's not on the main roster yet, but she's a star.

China vs Chinatown got personal almost immediately and reminded me of halcyon days of staying up late watching GAEA on TWC and getting into watching girls beating the shit out of each other without knowing who they are or why they hate each other. OK, less "halcyon" more Ovaltine and Monster Munch. Fun struggle, like Xia.

Fun seeing Yim/Kay in this setting. Surreal to hear Cole mention "Sienna the savage." Renee mentioning Gail Kim, they did everything but mention TNA by name. I have bias towards Mia as one of a very small number of pro wrestlers I've had alcoholic beverages with (in that there Tokyo) but I think its fair to say she looked great. She'll give Kaitlyn a good match.

The Japanese wrestlers stole the show this week.
Didnt think much of Rachel Evers last year but her and Hiroyo had a good match and am looking forward to seeing Hiroyo v Toni Storm in the next round.
Should be a very strong match.

Io looked great and Xia held her own. Match winning moonsault was just EVIL though! Actually went 'Holy fuck!' when she hit it.

I liked that the Io Shirai 1st round match was basically a squash and they’re putting her over as the best female wrestler in the world.

DoG7o6FU0AAj5G7?format=jpg&name=900x900

Look at that smile, they’re gonna make her a heel for the eventual Kairi Sane feud aren’t they.

I’m watching on mute from now on though, Renee Young talking over everyone and saying OH every couple of minutes is really annoying me.

• Paid Members

Michael Cole using "Meteora" for what Io did just because it involved the same number of knees as the Meteora and calling an Asai Moonsault when there was no springboard made me deeply regret that I'll never be allowed to punch him.

Also, must have dreamed that "wheelhouse" was dead. It's back.

As someone who enjoys the small details in wrestling, I'm struggling to think of many wrestlers who move around the ring better than Xia Brookside. She oozed confidence, and looked far, far, FAR more comfortable than almost every other woman in the Mae thus far. Xia and Io were a fitting main event to the first round. 

• Paid Members

Xia was the perfect first round for Io. There will be a few first rounders just picked up to do a job who will have an inkling that it's not really their showcase, that they're probably having to really go all out in the shop window to have a chance of future bookings or a contract. In truth probably some second round exits too. Xia at her age will surely have been told she's got plenty of time to make it, and to be blunt, Robbie's girl is hardly make-or-break on this stage re : getting her chances at NXT. Absolutely nothing to lose to get in with a superstar like Shirai and let the latter get all her shit in. No pressure, go out and enjoy yourself, you'll be back. Really clever booking.

• Awards Moderator

I thought Xia looked great, she was only in there for 3 or 4 minutes but made a bigger impression on me than most of the rest of this year’s competitors. I’d struggle to name half the people on this week’s episode but I’ll remember Xia for a long time. She’ll go far.

First time seeing Shirai, also really impressed by her - didn’t see much of the Mysterio influence mentioned in her pre-match video but I already like her. I’ve gone off Kairi since last year’s tournament but I don’t think that’ll happen with Shirai.  

Toni Storm - Hiroyo Matsumoto was great. Honestly thought Matsumoto might take it on a couple of occasions. Really good match.
Rhea - Kacy was a good big v little match and Kacy really has the plucky under dog role down. Considering her level of inexperience she is also really good in the ring.
I like Taynara Conti's crazy eyes/shouting/crying thing. She seems to have some personality about her. Still needs more experience though. Glad her match with Lacey was quick.

Meiko - Mercedes was a great main event which should have been expected.

Am loving this tournament as there has been more good/very good than bad so far.

Archived