General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I hope not. For all the abuse Jose is getting for that performance, it's worth remembering how rubbish United have been post-Fergie and how Mourinho has improved things. Not many better than Jose.

Anyway, I expected what we saw. United without Pogba just aren't very fluid and the team always seems to struggle to create chances without him linking play. Lukaku was rubbish, but hopefully the fans don't act like tits; people seem to be trying their hardest to push the narrative that he's not very good and an expensive flop, thus far.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jose's already plotting his PSG stint as we speak. Seems obvious with how he was talking a few months ago he already knows where he'll be in the next 6 or 18 months. He's still living in a hotel away from his wife and kids isnt he? It's always short term with Mourinho anyway. West Ham's manager is looking canny. Should give him a go.

I know this sounds like "ladz banta" but Lukaku looked so much like early 2000s Heskey under Sven it was frightening. Just some big lump fucking getting bossed around by people who should get stuck in his teeth.

I think Jose does his three years as expected and moves on and I think it will suit both parties. That will only change if they win one of the big two either this season or next. Jose is being Jose to a degree with his tactics but as others have said, its a process from being absolutely awful and being beaten 3-0 at home by the big sides under Moyes, to stifling teams under LVG and finally now being 2nd of a very, very good top 6. Now, thats fine for now, but hopefully that process can continue to where we are limiting ourselves in big games and can have the confidence to take games to those teams. That will be the hardest part of the process.

• Paid Members

They need to improve on what they achieved last season, even if it was the community shield, league cup and the Europa League. He needs to build on that. Yes, at the moment City are running away with the league, but that 11 point  gap is still smaller than the gap between City & United in 2011-12, which City clawed back and the 18 point gap between United & Newcastle at Christmas 1995. I know the league had more clubs in it then, but these things can still be turned around. I'm no United fan, I'm hoping something happens because if City do have the league stitched up in time for celebratory pancakes it could make the rest of the Premiership season a tad dull. I'm wondering whether Mourinho makes it to the end of his contract or leaves under a cloud halfway through with United underachieving down the bottom half of the table, only for them to have to draft in Ryan Giggs again (assuming he's not got the Wales job by then) in order to get them back somewhere near where they're meant to be. It's a headscratcher to me how he managed to do that with that Chelsea team.

• Paid Members

But they can't achieve more if Jose is swanning off to Paris for a bigger paycheck in the summer, or even at the end of a 3 or 5 year contract. Unfortunately due to football being more of a business than a sport there's doesn't seem to be time for a manager to truly build something great at a club anymore. Although Wenger's making a decent enough living by satisfying the Arsenal accountants.

• Paid Members

I think the owners full well knew when they appointed him that he wasn't going to be proper long-term, but that he'd sort out the right mess that Moyes and LVG made (which, to be fair, was partly Fergie and Edwards' doing- the squad had big problems masked by Fergie's incredible management).

Bring Jose in for a few years, get them back on the straight and narrow and they'd be in a much better position going forward. It was either that or continue with this conveyer belt of trial and error with an endless stream of managers that aren't in the league of somebody like Jose that can sort a ship out.

Edit: Gill, not Edwards

• Paid Members

I know it's not in-keeping with Jose's career path to date, but the club needs to do everything in its power to try to convince him to treat this United job as a long term thing. He's doing a great job and we'll be back to square one if he goes. There isn't anyone else out there that I could see in the job.

• Paid Members

Van Gaal is such an odd case. The football was terrible, but his attitude to promoting youth and investing in young players for whatever the fee (that Martial deal was laughed at for the price) was wonderful to see in the modern game. I have no idea what Rashford would be doing now if he never played him. No other manager would have thought "give this 17 year old his first ever senior appearance" when Martial and Wilson got injured. Anyone else would have just stuck Memphis up on his own. Marcus Rashford, Axel Tuanzebe, Timothy Fosu Mensah. These players were getting starts against proper opposition. Wasnt all shit football either. There was a period where they hammered Spurs 3-0, beat Liverpool at Anfield and then hammered City 4-2 at home in the space of a fortnight. Shame he tended to revert back to type.

Sacking him the night he won the FA Cup was a cunts move, which made me want to fucking vomit. Still does. It was just pure slimeball football executive shit. They couldnt have waited a month? No. About 5 minutes after he won the first trophy since Ferguson retired.

I'm not even sure why PSG would want to have Mourinho when they are playing good football. Jose might be a winner but PSG are looking frightening good going forward and Jose would take something away from that, as already said if PSG win the champions league this season there is no reason for Jose to go there anyway. 

From Jose's point of view he either sticks it out at United (remember Pep also doesn't last long at clubs) or he will take the PSG job for a few years and then manage Portugal. Not sure there is anywhere else for him to go? 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Yes, at the moment City are running away with the league, but that 11 point  gap is still smaller than the gap between City & United in 2011-12, which City clawed back and the 18 point gap between United & Newcastle at Christmas 1995. I know the league had more clubs in it then, but these things can still be turned around.

Sorry to let facts get in the way again, but the 1995-96 season definitely had a 20-team Premiership with 38 matchdays. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Jose might be a winner but PSG are looking frightening good going forward and Jose would take something away from that

Why? He didn't take anything away from a Real side that boasted an attack that included any of Ronaldo, Di Maria, Benzema, Higuain, Kaka and Ozil. They scored for fun and were highly entertaining- those attacking players were allowed so much freedom. Apart from the odd defensive outlook against big teams, he's made United FAR more watchable than they have been for years.

Archived