General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Had to chuckle at a bit of commentary during the Palace game where it was suggested that Palace had quietened down "the normally vociferous Kings Power crowd". Volume must be bust on my telly.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, stumobir said:

Great results for Palce and West Ham today. The old guard are pulling it off. Bottom of the league is interesting. I reckon Swansea are the only sure fires to go down, and it could be any of two of the other bottom eight. 

Its the usual changing managers trick working for some of the sides down there that has lifted them out of the drop zone. Swansea haven't convinced me in the slightest but then I'm sure this was said last year and they strung some results together. You would think that both Swansea & Stoke will be changing managers very shortly if this form continues. Hughes to Swansea? 

Man City again looking sublime yesterday, could have been a cricket score. Ederson has been a good buy for them

10 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It's crazy how Pep has singlehandedly turned them in to the best side in the league. How he unearths these gems and shines them up job after job is incredible. Now we have the best team in the world playing in the best league in the world.

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but fuck it, I'll bite.

City are a really excellent team playing fantastically well, and Pep is doing a remarkable job. Seriously, they are doing some tremendous things. But these things are made just a smidge easier with a bank balance of several hundred million and a team to suit it. Pep's fantastic at doing what he does, but he's hardly building his teams from scratch. Whilst last season there was a seemingly huge rush to downplay his achievements as being simply handed down from others, there's no reason to go the complete other way and laud him as if he's crafting a dynasty.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It's crazy how Pep has singlehandedly turned them in to the best side in the league. How he unearths these gems and shines them up job after job is incredible. Now we have the best team in the world playing in the best league in the world.

He's doing a grand job, no doubt, but he spent £220M in the summer. Hardly "crazy" at all. Man City invested heavily and given Guardiola every possible chance to succeed and he's yet to fail them this season.

If you're taking the piss, you bugger. My bitterness got the better of me.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

giphy.gif

To be fair though, Pep has done well to hide how poor of a defence he has at his hands. Delph, Stones & Otamendi (has improved this season) are hardly world beaters. Whether this costs them in the Champions League remains to be seen. 

Sky must be pleased with themselves for showing the Celtic game ahead of Super Sunday (why the later kick offs?). Hearts played exceptionally well. 

How do you spend that much on full backs and still end up playing Delph there? 

I can't deny he's done a really good job and he's made De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling etc even better. Its to be lauded. However the love in is going on a bit much now. He's an exceptional manager with an exceptional net spend to paper over any flaws he might have. 

Mostly though I'm just bitter plus I couldn't stand them cheating bunch of pricks he had at Barce.

Put it this way, there is absolutely no point in questioning his abilities, as when people say "Yeah, but could he manage Wigan to the Premier League title?" (no offence Wigan fans), it's irrelevant as he's never going to manage Wigan is he?

You can undoubtedly see how he has improved players this season. Aforementioned Delph has been a bit of a revelation, as has been the previously dodgy looking Fernandinho, but you only have to see Sterling this year to see how much he has come on (despite missing some sitters yesterday). He looks sharp and focused, more confident and more like the young player that burst onto the scene.

Guardiola is an exceptional coach, coaching exceptional players in an exceptional team. People call him a fraud, but this obviously doesn't happen by accident does it? Yes he has a massive cheque book, yes he has the biggest wage bill in the league, yes he is an absolute freak for the way he spoke to Nathan Redmond, but he is a wonderful, gifted coach.

Regarding the game yesterday, City were very good and brutal in the end but Spurs were incredibly poor. They were slow, ponderous and negative and went back to Lloris far too much. I love Hugo, but when I see him play the ball to Vertonghen in the LB position (and often a poor ball) when you have someone like Sterling haring down on you, and not just once but a good 10 times, I feel like abandoning all my footballing principles and praying he'd hoof it down the pitch.

Spurs miss Wanyama badly as him and Winks would be a solid partnering. I love Dembele a lot, and think he is often the best footballer on the pitch, but he is far, far too slow, again ponders on the ball too much, is injury prone and also gives away stupid fucking fouls. Time to move on I think.

Alli has been too often woeful this season, and although I do think this is just a dip in form and he is still a terrific player, it's time for Poch to drop him I think. He might just need a rest. Both him and Kane were very very lucky to escape reds yesterday.

Anyway, City will have it all wrapped up by March I reckon, which will leave the also rans to 'compete' for 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Whoop de doo Basil, whoop de doo

Archived