General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'm tempted to go and see BAsel at City's ground. I was in Basel about 10 years ago when they beat FK Sarajevo 6-0 in the Uefa Cup and really wished I could have gone to the game. I also wouldn't have minded having the ChF100 to buy a shirt.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
8 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

What's the attraction of watching Basel?

I went there once and had the chance to see them but missed it so I feel like I owe it to myself, even though it might mean I see them on the receiving end of a 6-0 rather than dishing it out, as they did the night I didn't go and watch them while on holiday. It's a lovely city, and they've got quite a rich footballing history, maybe not in terms of being a massively successful club in tournaments etc, but their colours are said to be the inspiration for Barcelona's colours, a theory aided when a few years ago they "traded" their shirt designs, so Basel had the red & blue stripes while Barca had the red & blue halves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/3235379/Tribute-as-Barcelona-go-back-to-their-roots-Football.html

• Paid Members

I love the fact that one of the players from the other team even goes up to him for a hug to celebrate. Outstanding.

And at least that's actually a halfway line goal- Julien Laurens was boasting about Falcao scoring from the 'halfway line' this week- he wasn't even inside the centre circle.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

John Cena has done this weeks predictions with Lawro on the BBC.

I think he may have fallen foul of the difference in what side the home team is listed on in American Sport to our Footie.

I think all the English teams have a good chance of going through.

The only question mark, for me, surrounds Chelsea and Tottenham.

I reckon Spurs will have enough to get past Juventus; I think they've gone as far as they can in their current incarnation.

Surely all teams won't go through though, in which case I choose Barca over Chelsea.

I don't think they have much strength in depth compared to what they're used to though, so a Chelsea with Hazard and Morata flying on all cylinders shouldn't be overrawed.

They've had to resort to playing Vermaelen recently. The departure of Neymar and subsequent injury of Dembele doesn't leave much room for maneuver either.

• Paid Members

Great results for Palce and West Ham today. The old guard are pulling it off. Bottom of the league is interesting. I reckon Swansea are the only sure fires to go down, and it could be any of two of the other bottom eight. 

Archived