Wrestlemania 34

The Phenomenal One

• Paid Members

Not only is this my first WrestleMania, it's my first trip to the US aswell and I'm well bloody excited! Flights to New Orleans were way too expensive, so we flying to Houston and spending a weekend there before driving to NOLA. Tickets to WrestleCon, PROGRESS, WWN, Spring Break, NXT and 'Mania are all sorted so all there is to do now is scrimp and save enough cash to cover the ten days. Mighty try and grab a baseball and basketball game too. 

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard bad rumours about the Fabulous Moolah (although it could all be a load of bollocks)  and her past so am surprised they named the battle royal after her. I figured this was why Mae Young got her name on the tournament. Is it purely that there is nobody else or they don't care. Loads of stuff about Warrior has an award so the latter could be true. Then again as said rumours could be nothing. 

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure it's that they don't care.

If it were only "rumours" with no truth to them, then you would have to believe in a conspiracy of decades' worth of female wrestlers and others backing them up - while it might not all be true, there's ample reason to believe most of it is.

Even if you don't believe the allegations of sexual abuse, pimping wrestlers out to promoters and so on, she still used her power and influence to have a stranglehold on women's wrestling for decades, financially exploited women she "trained" and booked by insisting on taking home a significant cut of their wages - and given that she had more or less full control over women's wrestling in many areas at the time, the alternative was that if you weren't paying Moolah her cut, you weren't working at all - and sabotaging the pushes and careers of women that weren't connected to her (like the Glamour Girls), or that she felt were a political threat (Jumping Bomb Angels, Velvet McIntyre, Penny Banner). On top of all that, her keeping herself on top of the women's wrestling scene meant that she would actively hold back/hold down any wrestler more talented than her - that is to say, a lot of wrestlers, especially as she got older - so that she wasn't at risk of losing her spot, meaning she was as responsible as anyone for reducing women's wrestling to hairmares and catfighting, rather than being equally as athletic as the men's matches. You'd really have to struggle to find a worse person to namecheck while trying to promote a Women's "Revolution".

And the WWE know all this. A lot of it happened on their watch. But Moolah is WWE Royalty, and they know that the mainstream media isn't going to bother looking into it because she's a relatively obscure old dead wrestler, so there's no interest there, and they know that the majority of the fanbase won't know because all they know of wrestling history is what the WWE tell them, and the part of the fanbase that do know about it will likely either not care or be apathetic to it; the chances of anyone not watching Wrestlemania because they've put Moolah's name on a match are incredibly slim, so it's not going to bother them that it's (rightly) pissed a few people off.

The WrestleMania card has really started to come together, I think it looks like an absolute cracker now. Gutted I'm going to be working that night and unable to watch it live.

I agree there's not an outstanding candidate to close the show though. In an ideal world the WWE Title vs. Royal Rumble winner gets the nod but I'm not sure AJ vs. Naka has the star power. The Universal Title isn't really on that level yet and the crowd reaction could get nasty too. So probably Cena vs. Taker is the best option.

Not meaning for this to sound like an anti-HHH circa 2003 post, I honestly think they'll go with Kurt & Ronda v HHH & Steph to close the show. Steph tapping out to a Rousey armbar to send the fans home happy. Ideally, I'd like for one of the world title matches to go on last, but Ronda triumphant at the end of the night will generate much more headlines than either of the two title matches

The way they’ve gone great guns with the mixed tag makes me think that’s going on last. There’s well-made hype videos all over the TV shows and Ronda’s even been on Ellen promoting it.

Given the way this all started, I wouldn’t be surprised if Angle gets incapacitated at some point and the match ends with a Rock run-in. Rock bottom to HHH, Steph gets judo thrown on her head and Mania ends with a Rock/Ronda visual they can use all over social.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

It's surely got to be Cena/Taker on last if that happens, no? What with Reigns/Taker headlining last year.

Taker went on last because he was working Reigns, not vice versa. If they're finally pulling the trigger on Reigns taking the belt from Brock - and I think they are - then the full commitment to Roman being THE MAN has to close the show. As much as "John Cena vs The Undertaker" sounds great on paper, its still part timer vs part timer, not the focal point, not what they'll be covering at length the next night on Raw. It's going to be Reigns.

Wrestlemania 35 has been announced for New York. On my wedding anniversary. As I got married in New York, this could be a genuine opportunity.

How difficult are tickets to come by?

Do travel packages offer the best way of buying?

Don't lr

On 3/11/2018 at 2:23 AM, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I went to Mania 30 on my own and had the best time ever. Time's completely your own so you can do whatever whenever, and pretty much anyone you bump into will most likely be in town for the wrestling so you'll have something in common with anyone you might want to strike up a conversation with. If you fill in the gaps between the main shows with indy stuff or Axxess or whatever you'll probably find there isn't much spare time to get bored sat in your room. There'll always be something going on though, especially in the centre of town/French Quarter where most of the big hotels (and "entertainment") are. Just go for a wander and take in the atmosphere, it's not every day you find yourself in an entire city full of wrestling fans (which wasn't anywhere near as unpleasant as that might sound). If you do get a spare morning or afternoon, a swamp tour might be a fun way to pass a bit of time. Audubon Park is good for a walk, and you can head back towards town past all the big fancy mansions on St Charles Avenue. I think I've just made myself want to go to Mania this year.

The only thing I might suggest being wary of is heading out of town alone at night, as there were a fair few shady characters hanging around. Get a taxi to be on the safe side, and make sure they drop you off right outside the venue. Definitely don't let the driver get bored of waiting in traffic and tell you to walk the rest of the way through a run down load of shacks and alleyways when you don't know where you're going and you've only got a few percent of battery left on your phone...

Don't let them take the scenic route either..

17 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Wrestlemania 35 has been announced for New York. On my wedding anniversary. As I got married in New York, this could be a genuine opportunity.

How difficult are tickets to come by?

Do travel packages offer the best way of buying?

A ticket for Mania itself is the easiest ticket to purchase over the weekend.  The hot ticket is Raw which is always an instant sell out.

I've gone over for 4 mania's now and never done a travel package.  Never had a problem getting any of the tickets I wanted and will work out a lot cheaper sorting your own hotel.  Keep an eye on  the wrestle con website (wrestlecon.com) as they usually get the best hotels in town and will offer the best prices too.

Archived