The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

3 hours ago, mim731 said:

"7/1 on" is the same as 1/7 (as in "7/1 on" is the inverse of "7/1" because it's "odds on"), if that makes sense.  Just a different way of phrasing it, it's historical language that is no longer used by major bookmakers.

Unless I've completely missed the joke, in which case ignore me. 

No you got it Mim. Was me not being totally clear on what I was typing. What I wrote was correct, but probably could have been clearer

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

@Silky Kisser

Haha, I haven't even watched the scrum yet. Knew that one wouldn't take long though. It's been a myth that's been repeated so much over the years that I think some people just spout it now because they've heard it before without actually seeing the fights he supposedly struggled in. 

Let's face it, Floyd Mayweather, cunt that he is, is an undefeated boxer at 49-0 who hardly ever loses rounds much less fights. He's mastered the art of winning boxing matches and he's done it nearly his entire life. 

There is no chink in his armour. The only thing he really lacks is one punch KO power but he makes up for that in so many other ways that it doesn't even really matter.

All we can really hope for is that Father Time finally gives him that long overdue slap before McGregor gets in there with him. Age catches up to everyone eventually but unless something drastic has happened since he last fought, I'm not confident it's caught up to Mayweather yet. 

Great article by Elliot Worsell - http://www.fightersonlymag.com/features/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-now-officially-thing/

It's a great read throughout, but this paragraph stands out in particular. He agrees with what some on here wrote; that we should just enjoy it for what it is. 

Accept it for what it is and we’ll get through this. Try not to get too wound up. We know McGregor wouldn’t be able to beat a regional champion in a boxing ring. We know boxing and MMA are as disparate as soccer and football. We also know you’ll still watch this thing on August 26 regardless. So make friends with it. Enjoy the press conference. Wince at the trash talk. Marvel at the way Conor McGregor will verbally tie Floyd Mayweather in knots, exposing him as an ignoramus, and then, on fight night, be treated like a small child kept at arm’s length by a playful father.

• Paid Members

In my eyes, whatever way you look at this whole thing, McGregor can't really 'lose' at all here.

For most and myself included, a loss seems inevitable, but if he can even go the distance and drop a decision, then it does some what seem a moral victory for a debut against the GOAT. Plus he can always bang that drum about 'Let's do it under MMA rules' which would most certainly never happen, but he's that good at selling and talking, that most would  have already agreed on how that would end up for Mayweather. Oh yeah, and that $100 million.

It's such an insane situation that he's manufactured. 5 years ago he was on the dole and we've watched his megastar just unfold and explode in front of us. Fucking hell like.

• Paid Members

Definitely. I can't think of anything McGregor really loses from taking this fight. The absolute very worst case scenario would be he gets destroyed inside a round. But 1) Mayweather isn't exactly a 'destroyer' and 2) even if that did happen, McGregor is fighting in Mayweather's playground under Mayweather's rules. At the very worst he can say "Well I gave it a go. I played his game and he won. Anyway I'm off to cash this $100 MILLION cheque you cunts! I'm off to buy my baby a custom made tree piece suit now. Don't call me again." 

That's the worst it gets for McGregor. If he goes the distance then that's a huge moral victory in itself. Even if he loses every round it won't look great on Floyd if he doesn't put a 0-0 MMA fighter away. 

At the end of it they are different sports. Just because they both can be simplified down to 'fighting for money' that doesn't mean they're not vastly different in practice. I mean, Lewis Hamilton and Usain Bolt both win races. Lewis Hamilton would smash Usain Bolt on the F1 track. Take the cars away and have them race and it's a different story. Not the best analogy but you get my drift, right? 

There are no certainties in combat sports. Sometimes weird shit just happens. McGregor beating Mayweather in a boxing match is a stretch. A massive one. But I'm hoping against all logic for that .99999% chance. 

• Paid Members

I read a headline saying that Conor is bound by his contract to not,"go rogue," by throwing a kick or an elbow or something.

It got me thinking, do you think his money is tied up in that? Do you think he'd lose the money if he threw a kick? I only wonder because, lets say he's been absolutely embarrassed for seven rounds, it's clear he's in over his head, imagine how ridiculously satisfying it'd be if he just thought, "fuck this," and booted Floyd's head off? It'd be the most mental thing ever. Take the DQ, take the money, take the notoriety.

Saying that though, I don't think he's fighting in the UFC again. I think this is it. He's won already. It doesn't matter how the fight goes. Get in. Get rich. Get out. He's said that's his plan for years and this is where I think he cashes out. 100 million for this, and then he's going to go back to the UFC for 5 million a fight? I just don't see it. 

What a story this has been though. If you've followed him from the beginning, on the dole, to this? Unbelievable. They should teach his career at those conventions they have where the entire UFC roster flies in.

• Paid Members

Yeah he definitely wouldn't need to fight again but if he gets just totally schooled to a shutout or gets dominated then stopped, I think his pride won't let him go out like that. I could definitely see him wanting to leave a better final impression than that. Even it it's just one final fight in the UFC. He's in his physical prime and he's not even 30 yet. So it wouldn't be like it'd be a case like where you see an ageing fighter chasing that last moment of glory. He's done everything else in his career his way. I just can't see him wanting to finish up on a one sided loss. Even if it does bank him a monstrous payday and it's against the best boxer in a generation. Ego is a funny thing and I think, even with all the money, it'd eat away at him to leave end his fighting career like that. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

One possible advantage Conor may have that I've seen postulated is that because he is so inexperienced at boxing, his movements and everything will be completely against the grain, because he won't know the 'right way', and Floyd won't be used to that.

Conor as been boxing since he was 13. He knows the "right way".

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Saying that though, I don't think he's fighting in the UFC again. I think this is it. He's won already. It doesn't matter how the fight goes. Get in. Get rich. Get out. He's said that's his plan for years and this is where I think he cashes out. 100 million for this, and then he's going to go back to the UFC for 5 million a fight? I just don't see it. 

I think he's definitely fighting in the UFC again. I just can't understand how Dana ever agrees to the fight with Mayweather without baking into the deal that Conor shows up for the UFC again. He'd be insane not to use his leverage to work it that way.

• Paid Members

I get the impression that it's something Conor knew he'd have to agree to to get the fight anyway. He knows the business, he knows the UFC, and he knows Dana, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one to make the case for the fight with that point.

• Paid Members

Surprised there's very little mention in the hype that, as this counts as a legit boxing match, it'll be the one where Floyd Mayweather beats Marciano's record and gets the nice round 50-0. Of course, detractors will argue that it being McGregor somewhat takes the edge off the achievement.

I think Mac does at least one more UFC bout, maybe two.  As said by others above - surely written into this deal that he return to fight in the UFC within 12 months health permitting.  And if health permits even further, back to the UFC for the New Year's Eve card for a title defence. 

TBH - its hard to see Conor's stock not rising after this fight. Maybe if he gets Jose Aldo'd in 12 seconds, or if he tries to a takedown when he's getting clobbered, but even then, not much. 

And then that builds to Conor-Diaz III - 2m PPV buys and a truck load of cash - not Mayweather cash - but still a large sum in any fight sports terms. 

7 hours ago, Supremo said:

I read a headline saying that Conor is bound by his contract to not,"go rogue," by throwing a kick or an elbow or something.

It got me thinking, do you think his money is tied up in that? Do you think he'd lose the money if he threw a kick? I only wonder because, lets say he's been absolutely embarrassed for seven rounds, it's clear he's in over his head, imagine how ridiculously satisfying it'd be if he just thought, "fuck this," and booted Floyd's head off? It'd be the most mental thing ever. Take the DQ, take the money, take the notoriety.

It'd be hilarious if McGregor went in there and tornado kicks Mayweather's head off, but with all the negotiations and back and forth, that'd be one of the first things I'd cover if I was Floyd's team.

I'm thinking like you when it comes to Conor fighting in the UFC again, but then again I can't see Dana White being on board with this fight if he's not got McGregor contractually locked in for at least one more fight. Unless Dana/UFC are getting a ridiculous amount of cash for Mayweather Promotions to use one of their fighters.

I reckon the only way Conor fights again is if he hits the Hail Mary hook, wins and starts having fun calling out Manny Pacquiao, Canelo and Amir Khan.

The only way he fights in the UFC again, I think, is if they dig deep and break all their financial records for Conor/GSP.

Archived