The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Does Conor even attempt to go for the 12 round survival victory? His got a good chin but he can still get put down with it. I imagine Floyd would light him up with body shots and make his already questionable cardio suffer more damage. 

I hope Conor goes for a 3/4 rounds balls out, all guns blazing affair. Sure it puts him in way more jeopardy off him getting caught with him probably being sloppy as fuck but i think that his best bet of getting credit from neutrals and slim chance off getting a shot on Floyd very small head.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wand - yes the pressure is on Floyd, I agree. It has to be, because I don't think Conor really knows pressure.  He came through Diaz II, just, and for me everything was riding on that for Conor. 

It'll be interesting to see if anything about his sparring record is leaked out of his camp. 'The Evolution of Punk' programme that UFC did basically dug CM Punk's own grave. He lost something like 15/16 spars in the lead up to his debut against Mickey Gall.  He had not even the slightest element of mystery about him, which could have planted the seed of doubt in Gall's mind to make the fight even mildly competitive. 

I think McGregor will give the fans one or two early combinations to get the fans excited, but that's it.  

As for Conor going for it with a whirlwind three or four rounds, I just don't see it. Have you seen any of his fights? He's like the Zidane of MMA, he dictates the pace but it is pedestrian. 

Pedestrian?

What do you mean by that?

That he's slow? Because his ability to close the distance, and the speed of his left cross, is unprecedented in MMA. Most of his success is predicated on his ability to surprise fighters by getting to them, and landing, before they know what's happening.

Or do you mean he has a non-flashy, workmanlike style? Because that's insane. I've said before on here, but striking is a rhythm, and in MMA most strikers are like a good pop song. Conor, in comparison, is an acid jazz jam. His timing and approach is unorthodox, and hard to gameplan against.

The thing that'll hurt him is that a large part of his game is goading his opponent into attacking (often with low hands) and then waiting for an opportunity/gap to open up. Best of luck doing that with Floyd.

• Paid Members

i think i know what OzExile was getting at, pedestrian was a poor choice of word though. I think what he's getting at is that many think McGregor's only chance to be if he makes this thing ugly and blitzes Floyd, that's not McGregor's style though, he fights on the outside, picks his shots carefully and usually uses his opponents aggression against them. It's so hard to predict how the fight will play out because Floyd won't go lunging in like a Jose Aldo, it could become one big stalemate.

This fight sort of highlights the risk/reward of trying to pressure and blitz Mayweather. He got caught a few times by Hatton, but Ricky ended up getting done and put away.

Does McG have anywhere near the boxing ability to even come close to accomplishing this kind of gameplan? I don't think so, although if he can get under Floyd's skin and make him uncomfortable anything can happen I guess.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, David said:

This fight sort of highlights the risk/reward of trying to pressure and blitz Mayweather. He got caught a few times by Hatton, but Ricky ended up getting done and put away.

Does McG have anywhere near the boxing ability to even come close to accomplishing this kind of gameplan? I don't think so, although if he can get under Floyd's skin and make him uncomfortable anything can happen I guess.

You're without question right, but retort to this will always be the same. That was 10 years ago. 10 years is an awful long time on the body where reflexes diminish and the body starts to breakdown.

I think as long as there's a few questions that linger, the fight will remain interesting, at least until the bell rings. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, lambyUK said:

You're without question right, but retort to this will always be the same. That was 10 years ago. 10 years is an awful long time on the body where reflexes diminish and the body starts to breakdown.

Judging by Mayweather's performances since though his reflexes hardly slowed, the guy's not a usual 40 year old, Floyd's always remained in great shape and he's taken very little damage in that time.

I think there's a bit of a misconception going into this that Floyd Mayweather is frail and Conor has the power to knock him out if he lands...which he may do, but everyone seems to forget that Floyd has fought some massive punchers and none have really put a dent in him, everyone points at the Mosely right hand which wobbled Floyd, but Mayweather recovered quickly and cruised after that. Floyd's got a chin on him.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Judging by Mayweather's performances since though his reflexes hardly slowed, the guy's not a usual 40 year old, Floyd's always remained in great shape and he's taken very little damage in that time.

I think there's a bit of a misconception going into this that Floyd Mayweather is frail and Conor has the power to knock him out if he lands...which he may do, but everyone seems to forget that Floyd has fought some massive punchers and none have really put a dent in him, everyone points at the Mosely right hand which wobbled Floyd, but Mayweather recovered quickly and cruised after that. Floyd's got a chin on him.

Without question. This isn't really the case of me saying the potential answers to those questions are wrong, but those questions exist none the less and rightfully can be asked. 

The fact is we don't know how a 40 year old Mayweather who hasn't fought in 2 years could now look, and for all we know all this work with Mayweather promotions could have slowed him down? Again, I'm not saying I personally believe this, but all these questions and doubts could be sold to the general public and some may start thinking "what if?"

On a side note, I can't recall Dana White ever being on Sky Sports News. He's certainly doing his part.

• Paid Members

On Dana, if one person is coming out of this with a boosted reputation, it's Dana. Almost everything I've read/heard from major sports pundits, about this fight, have bigged him up as some once-in-a-lifetime super promoter.

He's also doing a brilliant job hyping this thing.

• Paid Members

I've really missed the lack of Dana around the UFC hype in the last year or so, for most it's probably a relief for some but i miss the video blogs and Dana's pre-post fight scrums. Not everybody's cup of tea but he's great at what he does.

5 hours ago, lambyUK said:

I think as long as there's a few questions that linger, the fight will remain interesting, at least until the bell rings. 

The fight, by its very nature, is going to be interesting. 

I personally don't think Floyd has slowed down much (if at all) going by his last few fights. He's a guy who stays in great shape, and despite the stuff he puts out there online he's never out of the gym from what I've read, working with his own fighters.

I just think that Hatton is a prime example of what can happen if someone actually tries to pressure Floyd, and I think that Hatton clipped him the most I've ever seen him clipped. Does that mean that McG has a chance of doing that? Probably not, Hatton was an experienced, professional pressure fighter at world level back then and he ended up being made to looks silly.

It just suggests to me that measured pressure is the best option for Conor, as guys who've tried to play Mayweathers game have failed miserably for the most part.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I've really missed the lack of Dana around the UFC hype in the last year or so, for most it's probably a relief for some but i miss the video blogs and Dana's pre-post fight scrums. Not everybody's cup of tea but he's great at what he does.

Definitely. I don't agree with everything Dana does, but there is no denying he's an engaging talker and knows exactly how to sell a big fight.

He was dynamite on that conference call and him giving it "look, we know Floyd is a great boxer, but what if Conor lands that left hand of his?" was brilliant, because I've noticed a few pick up on it.

Archived