The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

No matter how much money Mcgregor makes from this fight, I've got no doubt that we will see him in the octagon again. Whilst Mcgregor's intention was always to get out young, he's got too much of a competitive drive to get out this young.

The guy was born to fight, and I whilst he would be stinking rich after this, he would miss the spot light too much. The guy isn't even in his peak years yet and I don't think he would be willing to not athletically challenge himself during these years that you can never get back. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

an MMA fight would be a bigger mismatch than the current situation.

The craziest thing about all of this is how much of an even fight many people think it is. Im no standup expert and have never laced up a pair of gloves in my life but it baffles me how many people seem to think the standup in MMA and a pure boxing style are comparible. Once Conor has the bigger gloves on and is in a more traditional boxing stance, a lot of people are gonna be in for a bit of a shock.

Indeed. Kicks are an important part of McGregor's style. That kick he stabs into the middle of his opponents always creates distance.

Former GLORY champ Joseph Valtellini summed it up simply and nicely, on the Rogan podcast, when discussing how hard it is to master boxing, despite being an elite kickboxer; you go from having several weapons to just one and that limits everything.

3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Just had a look at the odds on PaddyPower and Mayweather is Evens for KO/TKO at any point which this far out from the fight is as good a price as you'll get it.

I think the Mayweather prices will get bigger closer to the fight. The McGregor hype train will be in overdrive and he will have convinced people he will be winning. Joe Public are idiots and will start betting McGregor at which point Mayweather's odds will lengthen slightly and that's the time to get involved on a Mayweather KO/TKO or Pts win. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Just had a look at the odds on PaddyPower and Mayweather is Evens for KO/TKO at any point which this far out from the fight is as good a price as you'll get it. Mayweather is 7/1on to win the fight. McGregor is 9/2 to win the fight and is 6/1 for the KO/TKO. Mayweather by decision is 6/4 while Conor is 25/1 and 33/1 for a draw.

I'm pretty sure he's 1/7, otherwise i'd be betting my house on that

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, chokeout said:

I'm pretty sure he's 1/7, otherwise i'd be betting my house on that

"7/1 on" is the same as 1/7 (as in "7/1 on" is the inverse of "7/1" because it's "odds on"), if that makes sense.  Just a different way of phrasing it, it's historical language that is no longer used by major bookmakers.

Unless I've completely missed the joke, in which case ignore me. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Indeed. Kicks are an important part of McGregor's style. That kick he stabs into the middle of his opponents always creates distance.

Former GLORY champ Joseph Valtellini summed it up simply and nicely, on the Rogan podcast, when discussing how hard it is to master boxing, despite being an elite kickboxer; you go from having several weapons to just one and that limits everything.

the type or punches McGregor throws will be different too, including how his punch power translates into bigger gloves. I think alot of people see McGregor KO'ing Floyd as soon as he touches him because they are used to seeing McGregor fight in MMA gloves.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

an MMA fight would be a bigger mismatch than the current situation.

The craziest thing about all of this is how much of an even fight many people think it is. Im no standup expert and have never laced up a pair of gloves in my life but it baffles me how many people seem to think the standup in MMA and a pure boxing style are comparible. Once Conor has the bigger gloves on and is in a more traditional boxing stance, a lot of people are gonna be in for a bit of a shock.

Yeah it's mad how many people are seeing this as even close. That's what's going to make it even more successful though. The more people who give McGregor a chance, the more people will buy the PPV. To the wider audience who don't follow everything day in day out like us sad twats, this is the best in Boxing vs the best in MMA and it's pretty much 50/50. Now we know that's insane but that's how it's going to be sold. And judging by the talk I've heard today from normal non-combat sport followers, it'll probably work. 

I would love, fucking LOVE to see McGregor knock the cunt out. Not only would it be one of the most satisfying fight results ever, it'd be absolutely hilarious to see Floyd lose his 0 to a guy who's 0-0 in boxing in a fight he thought was a gimme. I really, really hope McGregor wins. 

But Floyd will do it. I hear all the arguments about McGregor's power but people are acting like Floyd's never fought a hitter before. Power is fuck all good if you don't land something meaningful. And Floyd is a master at dodging, blocking, evading, deflecting, stifling the punches coming at him. Canelo is a big hitter, and a way better pure boxer than McGregor. Floyd schooled him for 12 rounds to a shutout. Canelo has won every other fight he's had but couldn't solve the Mayweather riddle. Then there's the fact Conor's going to be wearing bigger gloves than he's used to. He's not just going to have the same power that wiped out Aldo and Alvarez in the UFC. And as you say Ebb, the stance is going to be completely different. If Floyd was fighting Conor in the UFC it'd be even worse. Floyd wouldn't have a clue, even in the standup, what was going on. Because an MMA stance has to allow for the threat of leg kicks, takedowns etc. It's way more complicated and complex than McGregor just swaggering into a boxing match and landing punches on Floyd fucking Mayweather. 

The fight itself is probably going to be cack but in a way I love that it's happening. It's Conor McGregor all over. To make your pro boxing debut against the 49-0 greatest boxer of our generation...it's so mental. 

I expect McGregor will fight in the UFC again after this. At least a couple of times anyway. I'm assuming he's getting trounced by Mayweather and he probably won't want to end on that note, even with $100mil or whatever preposterous money he'll have got from it. So I see him returning to the UFC for a couple of fights. A lightweight title defence and maybe end on that big GSP fight or something. 

IF, and it's a massive IF, the world goes wonky and McGregor somehow beats Mayweather though...I'd retire right then and there if I was him. I'd personally be gutted the ride was over but there'd be no topping that at all, would there? How would he follow beating Floyd Mayweather with anything in the UFC at that point? Retiring then would be the most gangsta way to go out there's ever ever ever been. 

But Floyd by UD. 

:( 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah it's mad how many people are seeing this as even close. That's what's going to make it even more successful though. The more people who give McGregor a chance, the more people will buy the PPV. To the wider audience who don't follow everything day in day out like us sad twats, this is the best in Boxing vs the best in MMA and it's pretty much 50/50. Now we know that's insane but that's how it's going to be sold. And judging by the talk I've heard today from normal non-combat sport followers, it'll probably work. 

Pretty much this. Similarly, a few folk at work started talking about it and were confident about McGregor's chances against the best boxer of his generation. It's mad.

• Paid Members

I keep hearing that Mayweather struggles against southpaws from people fancying McGregor's chances. I kept hearing that in the build up to Mayweather vs Pacquiao as well. I didn't see it then and I don't see it now. When you look back at the fights where Mayweather was tested most and looked most human you're talking Jose Luis Castillo, Oscar De La Hoya and Marcos Maidana are the names that spring to mind. All right handed. The only lefty's I recall giving him any bother were Zab Judah and Demarcus Corley. You have to go back so long for those examples I don't think it holds much weight now. And ultimately he still adjusted to their styles and beat them. 

Here's the official poster...

image.jpg

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I keep hearing that Mayweather struggles against southpaws from people fancying McGregor's chances. 

Dana at the scrum :

"Well, we know Mayweather struggles with Southpaws.. Err, I mean, he's undefeated in 49 fights,  but that's the chink in his armour" 

I think you're gonna be hearing an awful lot more of that, Wand. 

Really only see McGregor's chances of winning in;

- Floyd perhaps being a tad rusty, he'll be 40 and won't have fought in just under two years when the fight comes round. 
- With the previous point in mind, Conor has power, there's a slim chance he catches him. 
- Conor has very little to lose, the pressure is pretty much entirely on Floyd. It's his sport, his legacy to defend, his record to maintain/break. 
- With that and as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, Conor's lack of boxing experience might mean his movement is naturally awkward for Floyd to deal with. 

Do I think he'll win? Nope. Will I watch though? - Fuck yes. Far to many people getting butt hurt over this, it's gonna be a crazy ride in the build-up, the whole world will be watching and realistically anything can happen. Shit like this doesn't happen often, both guys are gonna make a ton of cash, let's just roll with it.

Archived