The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Well, this isn't going away anytime soon, it appears. The latest:

Floyd Mayweather Jr. went onto ESPN’s “First Take” to discuss a great many things Wednesday, many of them surrounding him and his long rumored/talked about/dreaded potential superfight match up with UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor. Mayweather said that he wasn’t interested in coming out of retirement for anyone other than McGregor and even offered him a $15 million dollar purse plus a split of the pay-per-view buys but that the bout still never happened.

After his sitdown with “First Take,” Mayweather continued discussing McGregor and MMA during Facebook Live interview with Brian Campbell where he claimed he isn’t just the biggest star in boxing, but the biggest star in MMA too.

“I’m not just the face of boxing, I’m the face of mixed martial arts also. And I’m not an MMA fighter but I do support all contact sports. I haven’t seen an MMA fight in a while but anytime I see an MMA fighter that wants to take a picture with me, I’m gonna take a picture with them because they go through a lot. Fighters go through a lot to get to a certain level and MMA fighters go through a lot just like boxers go through a lot.”

Mayweather was certainly an active presence in the MMA community in 2016, populating the leads of nearly every major outlet covering the sport. His rumored fight with McGregor captured the imagination of mainstream outlets like ESPN and made him impossible to ignore in the MMA community. But despite all the hullabaloo, and some outlets even reporting that a deal was done, no fight with McGregor has ever been even close to materializing. Mayweather blames McGregor and reminds “everybody” that McGregor lost recently.

“I want to tell everybody this, right now. Conor McGregor, do he want to fight? Absolutely not. I’m trying to see if he really want to fight but we can’t make the fight happen because he’s not his own boss. And I want the world to know this: just a fight, two fights ago, he was [knocks table twice] tapping out. He was just [knocks table twice] quitting.

“A lot of fighters - legendary fighters, fighters of today, MMA fighters - everybody says, ‘Floyd Mayweather do us wrong.’ Call me what you want to call me but I’m not a quitter. I don’t quit.”

McGregor was submitted by Nate Diaz early in the year but rematched Diaz at UFC 202, winning a decision. However, the fact that McGregor came back to avenge that loss later in the year makes no difference to Mayweather, who believes McGregor lost the rematch. Mayweather, who says he is friendly with Diaz, isn’t too upset by it though nor is he upset by McGregor “stealing the Floyd Mayweather blueprint.” He maintains that copying him is good business for everybody, except himself. Good business for him is the biggest money for the least work.

“I’m an old dude. We believe in working smarter not harder, and the best business move for me is Conor McGregor.”

Of course, it still seems fantasy talk, but who knows. There is so much money to be made with these two.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think the only way this fight ever happens is once McGregor is out of his UFC contract. And that's probably a long, long way away.

While McGregor is a UFC fighter, I can't see the UFC green lighting it. Ever. And why would they? Conor McGregor is probably the biggest star the UFC have ever had. He's certainly the biggest star they've got now. Ronda Rousey's most likely done. Jon Jones is a complete fuck up who they can't rely on. GSP might never come back. Anderson Silva's finishing up. Brock Lesnar is under WWE contract and even if they let him fight again when his USADA suspension is up, he only shows up once in a blue moon anyway. And he's pushing 40 now. How many Lesnar comebacks can be left. The UFC need McGregor more than ever now. Them OKing McGregor to go over to boxing to get shown up by a cunt like Mayweather would boggle my mind. Because that's what would happen. Mayweather would spank him. I really don't want to see that. And Mayweather's the type of prick who'd forever rub the UFC's nose in it as well, bragging endlessly that he clowned the UFC's biggest star ever.

Also, Mayweather would insist on 100% control of everything. From the promotion of the fight to the venue to the broadcasting rights to the money split to the size of the ring to the gloves to the price of the hotdogs at the fucking concession stand! Mayweather controls everything. I don't see any scenario in which the UFC not only sacrifice their biggest star, but they also hand over the reigns as well and let Mayweather control the whole thing.

People might say the UFC would do it for the money it would rake in. That's the only reason they'd even consider it. But that would be incredibly short sighted. It would do monster business and make a ton of money in the short term, but at what price? McGregor losing badly to Mayweather in a boxing match wouldn't be any shame for McGregor but it does nothing good for the UFC. And from the UFC's own greedy POV McGregor would make so much money fighting Floyd that he mightn't even want to come back to the UFC after. He'd make more money on that one fight than probably his whole UFC career combined. And it's not like the UFC would get all the profits themselves. They'd have to share it with Mayweather. The single most money hungry and shrewd businessman combat sports has ever seen.

The UFC agreeing to a boxing match between McGregor and Mayweather would basically be them taking their cash cow and slaughtering it. I just can't see any way the fight happens while McGregor is under UFC lock and key. I can't see how all the egos will come to an agreement. And Floyd isn't getting any younger. By the time McGregor is available the wifebeater will probably be 75.

I've always felt like Mayweather isn't even serious about this either. I think he knows McGregor is the big thing in combat sports right now and he knows that if he talks up a fantasy fight between them it'll keep his name current.

• Paid Members

I mentioned this on-topic, the only way I ever see it happening is if Vinny Mac plays a blinder and gets them both at Wrestlemania. There are far too many moving parts for them to ever have a legitimate contest.

However, should the fight ever happen legitimately, even though I know for certain how the fight would play out, this is Conor McGregor. At this point, I wouldn't even be that surprised if Conor boxed with Floyd and somehow, against all the odds, knocked him out.

I've always felt like Mayweather isn't even serious about this either. I think he knows McGregor is the big thing in combat sports right now and he knows that if he talks up a fantasy fight between them it'll keep his name current.

This is what it is. Mayweather's ego thinking why aren't they talking about me anymore. He knows talking Conor gets him talked about on First Take and mainstream sports media worldwide. If he came out and said I want to fight Terence Crawford boxing fans would be over the moon but mainstream sports media would be like "who?" and not care.

He just likes being the centre of attention and can't give up the spotlight. TBH most boxing fans wish he would finally just fuck off for good.

• Paid Members

However, should the fight ever happen legitimately, even though I know for certain how the fight would play out, this is Conor McGregor. At this point, I wouldn't even be that surprised if Conor boxed with Floyd and somehow, against all the odds, knocked him out.

As much as I'd be over the moon if that happened, his punchers chance of catching Mayweather is so small it's ridiculous. Way better boxers than McGregor have tried and failed to knock Mayweather out. It's one thing schooling Eddie Alvarez or countering an over aggressive Jose Aldo in an MMA fight, and they were spectacular performances. But playing Floyd Mayweather at his own game is a different beast entirely. Mayweather wouldn't think twice about making it boring either, if that's the easiest path to victory. He'd happily make it the standup equivalent of a Jake Shields fight if need be. You look at Floyd's fight with Canelo Alvarez, who is a big puncher, much younger, was unbeaten going in and a way better boxer than McGregor, and he completely shut Canelo down and picked him apart in a lopsided fight. I can't see McGregor being the 1 when 49 others failed. Especially when those 'others' include the likes of Pacquiao, Canelo, Cotto, Hatton, De La Hoya, Marquez etc.

I'd love to see the pigeon chested paddy get schooled. But the fight will never happen. However i will point out Mayweather is generally humble in victory. He has sent a few nice tweets apparently in the direction of Rhonda Rousy despite her previos publicity seeking barrage of abuse his way.

• Paid Members

I'd love to see the pigeon chested paddy get schooled. But the fight will never happen. However i will point out Mayweather is generally humble in victory. He has sent a few nice tweets apparently in the direction of Rhonda Rousy despite her previos publicity seeking barrage of abuse his way.

He's a wifebeating piece of shit. Take a bit more than some tweets and some humble words to make me side with him against McGregor.

Is it just me or does anyone feel that $15 million is a low-ball offer to McGregor anyway? Mayweather is making it sound like a crazy sum of money and in some respects it is, however Floyd needs McGregor. McGregor doesn't need Floyd to keep generating huge PPV interest. Floyd's last PPV alone only did around 500k buys. 

Yeh the thing about the fight is, Mcgref

He's a wifebeating piece of shit. Take a bit more than some tweets and some humble words to make me side with him against McGregor.

I somehow find it in me to just look at them as charachters rather than the real people. I like the Money Mayweather charachter and not like the Mcgregor character. I prefere boxing to UFC as well. In real life Mcgregor probably is a more decent chap. Much like i can cheer for Stone Cold despite his dubious history with woman.

As for the Paddy comment above, i meant no offence with that, my immediate roots stem from Ireland. It's a word which is commonly used in my circle of friends.

• Paid Members

I have to say that I have very little interest in this fight. I'm much more excited about the prospect of McGregor facing the winner of Khabib and Ferguson. 

Absolutely this. I'd watch it but most people seem to think it'd be good because the parties involved would make money. A bizarre justification for enjoying something imo.

• Paid Members

Yeah it'd be shit. Of course I'd watch and I'd get sucked into the hype. But I'd be under no illusions that a) McGregor would lose and b) the fight would be crap. What would most likely happen is Mayweather would bamboozle, nullify, shut down, tie up and pepper McGregor for the duration of a very frustrating fight. He'd win a shut out decision and then everyone would moan that it was shit and that both Boxing and MMA are dead.

• Paid Members

If there was a proposal for a cross-code thing, i.e. they fight both an MMA match and a boxing match, I'd be semi-interested. I'd know what the results would be going in, but at least there'd be the opportunity to see Mayweather get stoved in.

Hell, I'd be happy with just an MMA match in that case. Don't need to see Conor lose to that fucker.

Either that, or have an MMA match, a boxing match, and then a rubber match on Strictly Come Dancing to see who takes the crown of King Of Combat Sports Entertainment.

Archived