The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

What actually are the specifics of the UFC contracts? Am I right in thinking fighters are allowed to fight in grappling events without UFC permission, would a boxing match not be the same, or is boxing specifically singled out as part of the contract?

I'd guess they still have to get permission from the UFC before they take part in grappling tournaments. But I suppose the way the UFC look at it, is there's generally less trauma in a grappling competition that could potentially put them out of action. You'll always have risks of injury but it's basically the same as the grappling training these guys do all the time anyway, just in front of an audience. Letting guys fight in pro boxing or kickboxing matches would carry a lot more risk. I'm guessing the UFC have it in their contracts that you can't compete in any other full contact combat sport while under their contract. And the grappling ones probably have to be authorised case by case.

The two biggest examples I can think of UFC fighters being denied permission to box are probably when Andrei Arlovski wanted to box in 2008 and when Anderson Silva and Roy Jones Jr wanted to box each other. Neither happened obviously.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Floyd being Floyd...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=g2gG-xLEZlM

He's chatting shit obviously about McGregor being scared. It's just grandstanding and cock waving. But it's clear that this fight isn't happening anytime soon, and probably ever. It's what I've said all along, of the many reasons why this thing is unlikely the two big ones are 1) McGregor's UFC contract and 2) Mayweather's ego and wanting to control everything. Floyd touches on both in the video above talking about McGregor being "owned by the UFC" and him being the A-side if the fight happens.

It's never happening.

• Paid Members

Conor announced on stage at one his shows that he was coming out of retirement and the fight would happen...now considering it was a live show, i'd pretty much guarantee Floyd was doing it to pop the crowd and continue to fuel the press. Literally everybody in work were on about today, they all think the fight is a done deal. What a soap opera.

• Paid Members

Yeah Floyd's going with the 'Just sign the papers. Let's get the fight on for June' bollocks in the media. It's utterly meaningless though because Conor CAN'T sign to fight him in June legally and Floyd knows that full well. This is just Floyd trying to make it look like Conor's ducking him. The whole thing is a joke. I can't believe how many people are still buying it and believing it's a 'done deal' despite it supposedly being a 'done deal' a bunch of times previously and nothing ever happens.

For the UFC to agree to this, they'll have to bend over and let Floyd - as Ol' Dirty said - give it to them raw. Floyd keeps saying he's the A-side here and that's his way of saying he's calling all the shots. No way the UFC just sign off on that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This is interesting. Dana White on Conan OBrien saying that he thinks the Mayweather / Mcgregor fight will happen:

And Mcgregor at the Micheal Conlan fight saying the fight is close to signed:

Feels like a subtle shift in the way it's being talked about. Less just general speculative ambiguous chat and more specifically about it being a done deal. I'm probably reading too much into it but I don't understand that answer from Dana unless there's some truth to it.

• Paid Members

I actually think it may happen now. I definitely think they are negotiationg. They're speaking about it too much for them not to be in my opinion. It feels like if either guy fight anyond else now there'll be some kind of backlash.

• 2 months later...

It's confirmed for August 26th. 

I really hoped this wouldn't happen. I see McGregor battling bravely for a few rounds, before the fight is stopped in the 4th or 5th. Floyd is not known for his power, but the gulf between their boxing skills is just too much. 

Fucking hellfire, I never ever saw this one ever coming into fruition and yet here we are.

Mixed feelings in all honesty. The build is going to be immense, and you know Conor is going to ham it up like never before yet on the other hand he's most likely going to lose and with the windfall of cash he's going to be getting he'll never have to fight for the UFC again. Whether he does or not is a different story, but he'll have every reason after Floyd to pack it all in. Potentially in the minority here but fights with Ferguson/Khabib/Holloway are far more appealing to me.

EDIT: TMZ reporting Conor is set to make around $100 million for this fight alone. Compare that to an estimated $3 million for his 205 pay off. It's also taking place at 154lbs, per Dana on SportsCenter.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I think Conor will make Floyd look a complete dickhead in the build up. It'll be amazing.

I think Floyd will make Conor look like a complete dickhead in the fight. It'll be boring and shit.

Exactly. But fuck it - I'm going to pretend I think McGregor will definitely win, because it'll be more fun for the build up. I'll deal with the bitter disappointment on the night.

Archived