The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

12 hours ago, Supremo said:

As far as the fight itself goes, I think everyone knows Conor has about a 0.01% chance of winning. That's what's so fascinating though; Conor seems to exist in that 0.01%. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The thing is though, and I love the optimism, Conor's never faced odds like this before. Not even close. He's done great things but he's never been this big an underdog in his life. You look at the Aldo fight, a load of people were still picking Conor to win. Nobody saw a 13 second KO coming but by the time the fight rolled around everyone was pretty close to 50/50. What else has Conor really done that's massively overcome the odds? The two titles thing was huge but there are probably a few other fighters who could've achieved that given the opportunity. 

This is something entirely different and I'm not sure the majority of people are grasping just how big an uphill challenge this is for McGregor. He's got little to lose by taking on the challenge but it's still an absolute mammoth task he's on here. McGregor taking a pro boxing match at all would be a test. To do it against Floyd Mayweather is crazy. Imagine making your debut, at anything, and you're up against the very best in that field. And McGregor's never been the best at avoiding punches. Chad Mendes was landing on him a fair bit. Nate Diaz lit him up in both fights. Holloway landed shit on him. Fuck, even Aldo got him with a shot as he was just about to slip into unconsciousness himself. McGregor is great but he's always been hittable. And that's against MMA guys. Now he's going into a boxing ring with a prick who's been boxing since he was in nappies. Then you factor in McGregor going from fighting in a cage to a ring, against one of the best ring generals ever. You then factor in that McGregor has shown tendencies to blow himself out fairly early by going for the kill, then struggles cardio wise. If there's ANY of that here Floyd will exploit the fuck out of it. Adjusting from 5 to 3 minute rounds might mean Conor doesn't tire as easily but Floyd is a master at winning those 3 minute rounds. He can kill those 3 minutes off doing the bare minimum and you've done nothing to him at the end. 

I'm surprised how many people I speak to who are fancying McGregor to win this. I guess I shouldn't be but I don't think people realise just how damn near impossible a task this is for McGregor. I don't think I've ever wanted to be wrong more but...McGregor beating Mayweather in a boxing match...sorry, it's just not happening. 

• Paid Members

Admittedly I haven't been a boxing follower for well over a decade and I wouldn't know McGregor if I bumped into him in Morrisons, but even as a lapsed boxing fan it makes me incredibly sad that people are labelling this the biggest boxing match in history. Think of all the truly great fights and fighters down the decades that have rightly carved themselves into sporting legend. I don't need to name them, we all know who and what they are.

Now compare that to a fight where a man who has never taken part in a professional boxing match in his life takes on one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters of all time.

• Paid Members

@Devon Malcolm

Yeah, I guess it depends what you measure the term 'biggest' by. In money and PPV buys and all that good stuff, I'd say it going to be pretty hard to argue against this being the biggest. It's going to be a monster. The current biggest was Mayweather vs Pacquiao but this is almost certainly going to surpass that in PPV, gate, hype, mainstream coverage or whatever other way you measure it. 

But in terms of legitimate relevance and importance as an actual fight, it's not the biggest. It's going to be a massive spectacle and a great event to see unfold. But the fight itself just isn't going to be competitive. It's a pure business fight. Which is fine and I understand it. But it's in its own separate category for me. 

As much as it doesn't deserve it, and I can see why people would think it doesn't and I kind of agree, by every available metric, this will be either the first or second biggest fight in boxing history. I understand why the boxing purist would hate that, and I would probably have a similar feeling if the situation was reversed and it was a Floyd entering the UFC, but as much as people will hate it being the case, this will be one of if not the biggest fights in boxing history.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I remember seeing that at the time. 

The fight is the only thing that's going to suck about this for McGregor. He's going to be in his element in the build up. The media stuff, the press conferences, the Countdown stuff, the weigh in. It's all going to be great. The fight is going to be a boxing lesson for however long Floyd feels like it should last. Then McGregor gets to live the rest of his life like a king. It's not a bad deal at all, is it? 

Have they said how many rounds it's going to be yet? 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

Yeah, that video has been out there for ages. I think it's poor form CVH releasing his cut of it, though. Again, reeks of some bitter fool, even if it is accurate.

Yeah, very poor form.

Still though - shows the vast, vast difference in skill levels.

• Paid Members

Apparently, Mauro Ranallo will be on commentary duties for this. 

Not Mauro's biggest fan but I like this choice. He's obviously experienced in calling both Boxing and MMA so he can give new casual fight viewers (of which there's probably going to be a ton) the background and stuff. He won't be out there shitting all over MMA like some Boxing guys might either. 

Wonder who will be on colour. I think Paulie Malignaggi would be a great choice. He'd be my pick anyway. I think a Ranallo/Malignaggi team is the way to go. 

image.jpg

Archived