The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yarp. I made the mistake of spending most of my night watching all the Mayweather/McGregor analysis and break downs I could find, by folk that are good at what they do; I'm gutted we've got a couple of months (and some change) to go.

The machine is behind it, because they can't not be.

• Paid Members

The Sun got a few pages dedicated to this, including a page on the Inoki/Ali fight. 

Insane that depsite this fight happening, the paper still has to have a little 'who is Conor McGregor?' part of the article. It's a sign of the times that such a massive sports star only means anything to a certain portion/age demographic of fans.

11 hours ago, herbie747 said:

Conor as been boxing since he was 13. He knows the "right way".

The counter to that would be that by training for and competing in MMA for more than ten years, Conor’s instincts, the way he moves around, the way he throws punches, etc, are not boxing instincts. They’re MMA instincts. And as much as that puts Conor at a disadvantage, because he’ll have to suppress those instincts when fighting Floyd, by the same token, if Conor doesn’t, that could very well put Floyd at a disadvantage because he won’t be used to them. The strange mishmash of MMA and Boxing instincts will be something new for Floyd. How will he handle dealing with something new, after all these years of facing the familiar and expected patterns of fellow, pure boxers? Facing the unfamiliar takes away the feeling of control over a situation, and Floyd always wants to be in control. How will Floyd react in a fight when he doesn’t feel like he’s in control, because he is facing something unfamiliar?

There is a lot more to this fight than the technical, boxing side of things. There’s the psychological side as well, and that may be the most fascinating aspect of this whole situation.

6 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

It'd be hilarious if McGregor went in there and tornado kicks Mayweather's head off, but with all the negotiations and back and forth, that'd be one of the first things I'd cover if I was Floyd's team.

I'm thinking like you when it comes to Conor fighting in the UFC again, but then again I can't see Dana White being on board with this fight if he's not got McGregor contractually locked in for at least one more fight. Unless Dana/UFC are getting a ridiculous amount of cash for Mayweather Promotions to use one of their fighters.

I mean, screw the contractual side of things and his money. If he just went in there and tornado kicked him in the head he's almost definitely be facing criminal charges ;)

I actually think this is going to go very 'pro wrestling'. Floyd will box around him for 6 or 7 rounds. Then Conor will 'go rogue' and take him down to the mat and get DQ'd. Most of which being agreed by the fighters beforehand. It's a glorified exhibition. Anyone thinking this is going to be a proper boxing match is deluding themselves.

1 hour ago, Wrasslin said:

Anyone thinking this is going to be a proper boxing match is deluding themselves.

One could say the same about people automatically assuming it'll be anything other than real and then coming up with elaborate backstories to explain their cockeyed theories.

• Paid Members

It's not in Mayweather's interests at all to throw the fight, or work a DQ, or whatever. All he gets out of this is a presumably massive payday, and there's no chance he's losing, so why would he go in on any kind of deal that gives him a worse result than that? He turns up, picks up a cheque for a few million, wins an easy fight, goes home. Why risk tarnishing his reputation when he's just going to walk it anyway?

If this were being promoted as party of some dodgy Antonio Inoki supercard, fine, wonder about how legit it could be - but it's not. There's nothing to suggest it'll be anything less than a straight boxing match - a one-sided, freak show boxing match, but a boxing match all the same.

I don't agree that the psychology of the fight will favour McGregor - talking about McGregor's instincts, and Mayweather having to work with someone who doesn't have the same instincts and patterns as most boxers, it all sounds very good on paper, but in practice, it doesn't add up. "Someone who doesn't have the same instincts" as boxers, in reality, translates to "someone who won't be as good at boxing, fighting the greatest boxer in the world".

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It's not in Mayweather's interests at all to throw the fight, or work a DQ, or whatever. All he gets out of this is a presumably massive payday, and there's no chance he's losing, so why would he go in on any kind of deal that gives him a worse result than that? He turns up, picks up a cheque for a few million, wins an easy fight, goes home. Why risk tarnishing his reputation when he's just going to walk it anyway?

If this were being promoted as party of some dodgy Antonio Inoki supercard, fine, wonder about how legit it could be - but it's not. There's nothing to suggest it'll be anything less than a straight boxing match - a one-sided, freak show boxing match, but a boxing match all the same.

I don't agree that the psychology of the fight will favour McGregor - talking about McGregor's instincts, and Mayweather having to work with someone who doesn't have the same instincts and patterns as most boxers, it all sounds very good on paper, but in practice, it doesn't add up. "Someone who doesn't have the same instincts" as boxers, in reality, translates to "someone who won't be as good at boxing, fighting the greatest boxer in the world".

It's not right to say that Mcgregor has zero chance of winning.

I could get off the sofa right now to fight Mayweather and I'd still have better than zero chance of winning.

• Paid Members

See, McGregor throwing a heel kick won't ruin his reputation - just going by the amount of people I've talked to who think it would be amazing to see. Financially and legally it might hurt him, however. He is 'Notorious' after all.

He'd be foolish to do it, though.

• Paid Members

I thought the MMA Beat special covered everything brilliantly. Ariel really put it into perspective. This was a guy on Facebook prelims four years ago, and now he's orchestrated a scenario where he's fighting Floyd Mayweather and earning 100 million dollars in one night. It's incredible.

I'm more excited for the build up than I am the fight itself. Can you imagine if they do some 24/7 specials? That level of production, combined with Conor's ability to sell a fight, it'll be some of the best hype of all time. 

As far as the fight itself goes, I think everyone knows Conor has about a 0.01% chance of winning. That's what's so fascinating though; Conor seems to exist in that 0.01%. The very reason he's made it to this point in his career is the crazy way in which he seems to have some type of extraordinary, alien ability to do and say things precisely when he needs to, as if fate has already determined his path in life. Anyone else, you wouldn't even have to watch the fight because you'd know what'd happen. Floyd wins in a boring, shit fight. But it's Conor McGregor though. It's like he was always destined to end his career knocking out the greatest boxer of all time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he somehow pulls it off. Imagine the promo afterwards. And the backlash from boxing fans. It'd be the greatest thing ever.

12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Imagine the promo afterwards. And the backlash from boxing fans. It'd be the greatest thing ever.

Conor winning may actually start a riot. It would be so unbelievable that people would assume it simply had to be fixed. And at those prices, people are not going to want to think they were conned into seeing a sham. But you are right. The reaction from all corners would make Conor winning the greatest thing ever.

Archived