The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, David said:

I just think that Hatton is a prime example of what can happen if someone actually tries to pressure Floyd, and I think that Hatton clipped him the most I've ever seen him clipped. Does that mean that McG has a chance of doing that? Probably not, Hatton was an experienced, professional pressure fighter at world level back then and he ended up being made to looks silly.

Marcos Maidana gave Floyd his toughest night in the "Money" era of his career, and he did so by basically bullying Floyd around and staying right in his face. Conor has never shown any kind of signs that he's capable of fighting in that manner, its arguably his only path to victory though.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Marcos Maidana gave Floyd his toughest night in the "Money" era of his career, and he did so by basically bullying Floyd around and staying right in his face. Conor has never shown any kind of signs that he's capable of fighting in that manner, its arguably his only path to victory though.

Personally I think Hatton got more clean shots at Floyd (and is the only guy to have actually made him stumble backwards I think) than Maidana did, but it's obvious the style needed to even stand a chance.

I think McG could see some success using that Diaz-esque wide-arm suffocating style that he's used effectively in the past. What it comes down to is footwork. Can he close the distance? If he can, and he can stop Floyd landing and disappearing then he probably has a 0.05% chance of winning rather than a 0.01% chance.

Whichever way you carve it up, it's the most interesting fight in years I think.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, David said:

Whichever way you carve it up, it's the most interesting fight in years I think.

on paper it is, in practice it may be something else entirely.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I agree with this. In practice, I can't see it being an interesting fight at all. For me, it's all about the build, which should prove to be hugely entertaining.

As a fight? I'll watch it. I'm morbidly curious, but expecting a pretty dull affair. I also suspect there'll be a lot of complaining from casual fight fans, much like there was after Mayweather/Pacquiao - most people watching a combat sport without following it are going to want one of three things: A Rocky comeback story, two blokes just wailing on each other for the duration, or a flashy quick knock-out. Because those are things they can understand. This will likely be a very cautious, very deliberate fight, and not all that exciting to watch.

• Paid Members

Spot on BomberPat. I think there's going to be a lot of complaining after this one, and the usual cries of 'Boxing/MMA is dead'. The combination of the gulf in boxing skills between them, the fact Floyd doesn't often have exciting fights, the fact Floyd doesn't give a fuck if it's boring as long as he gets the win and the ridiculous build up that's going to be pretty much impossible to live up to...chances are the fight itself is going to be shite. 

It'll still be edge of the seat stuff however long it lasts, just because there'll always be that 'what if?' thing while you're waiting for McGregor's left to land. But that's probably always going to be snuffed out by the disappointment of it never really landing clean because Floyd is a slippery little prick. 

I'm just going to enjoy the build up, allow myself to be swept up in it and hope against all logic that the unthinkable happens. 

• Paid Members

This is well worth a few minutes of your time. Andre Berto (Mayweather's last opponent) describes what it's like to fight Floyd Mayweather. 

It's got to be so fucking frustrating and annoying. I honestly think I'd rather get knocked out cold by Anthony Joshua. At least it's over quick. Not the death by a thousand cuts shit Floyd puts you through. 

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

It may very well be the pro wrestling fan in me that's spilling out here, but I think it'll be interesting in practice as well. We've never really seen a top level, highest earning MMA fighter in his prime step into a boxing ring against the greatest boxer of his generation (possibly one of the all-time greats).

We've seen Floyd fight the best boxers out there, but how will he approach a guy who's footwork, movement, punching style and so on isn't moulded by traditional boxing training? It's going to be so fucking interesting to watch.

I think a lot of boxing guys are looking at this as a "boxer vs guy with no boxing record" without taking into account the fact that McG is obviously well skilled in other fighting styles, and standup fighting styles at that. This isn't an MMA guy who relies heavily on a ground game, is it?

I'm looking forward to it for sure. The build-up will be phenomenal as well, obviously.

• Paid Members

I should've known better than to listen to Brendan Schaub's opinion on Mayweather vs McGregor. Just heard him say that McGregor is faster than all these guys Floyd has fought. He then said about McGregor - "His speed is better than Canelo's. His left hand is better than Canelo's. His power is better than Canelo's." 

I don't know what he said after that because that's where I switched off. 

Jesus wept. I don't think Schaub has ever watched Canelo. Or if he has, he's only watched the Mayweather fight and is basing his opinion on Canelo off that fight where Floyd made him look like shit. Nobody knows who has more speed or power out of McGregor and Canelo, you can't know. Canelo is a fucking savage, end of. He's been fucking guys up for years and in boxing gloves. He'd be even more devastating with the little MMA gloves on. Schaub's always seemed to have had a man crush on McGregor, so it doesn't surprise me really that he's going on like this. But it makes the MMA side of this look like clueless fanboys when you hear him clutching at straws like that. It's one thing saying he thinks McGregor could catch Floyd, Floyd's been inactive, Floyd's getting older etc etc. Whatever. But just making shit up and saying he's faster or more powerful than this or that boxer is comical. 

I think I'm going to give both the Schaub and Rogan podcasts a miss until this thing is in the rear view. 

I think Schaub might have a point with that one particular movement McGregor does, the way he cuts the cage/ring in half and snakes in on people. He closes distance like no one else, and possibly better than most boxers at that one particular skill.

In terms of hand speed, head speed or power, there's no way to know but I think it's ridiculous to think McGregor matches up to Canelo, overall, as a boxer.

I just think about the final knockdown of Alvarez. It was a thing of pure beauty. He slid back, off the right hand, and then wallop, he's closed the distance and threw 2 or 3 bombs before Eddie knew to say 'oh tits'.

I'm defending McGregor here, as a great example of an MMA striker. I still think Floyd finishes him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

It may very well be the pro wrestling fan in me that's spilling out here, but I think it'll be interesting in practice as well. We've never really seen a top level, highest earning MMA fighter in his prime step into a boxing ring against the greatest boxer of his generation (possibly one of the all-time greats).

We've seen Floyd fight the best boxers out there, but how will he approach a guy who's footwork, movement, punching style and so on isn't moulded by traditional boxing training? It's going to be so fucking interesting to watch.

I think a lot of boxing guys are looking at this as a "boxer vs guy with no boxing record" without taking into account the fact that McG is obviously well skilled in other fighting styles, and standup fighting styles at that. This isn't an MMA guy who relies heavily on a ground game, is it?

I'm looking forward to it for sure. The build-up will be phenomenal as well, obviously.

It very much is the ultimate style vs. style fight. It's the sort of the fight the UFC was created for, quite ironic that it ends up being in a boxing ring.

I hear what you're saying though Dave and im very much on board with it, i just know that ever since seeing Mayweather fight Hatton (the first Mayweather fight i saw) ive got super excited for every fight of his, only to find myself slumped in my chair with my hands on my head after 2-3 rounds thinking 'Floy's got this', Mayweather fights very quickly fall into a rhythm where you know he's cruising to victory (first Maidana fight being the exception), it's always very ant-climatic. I hope im wrong, but i won't be at all surprised if im slumped in my chair after 2-3 rounds again feeling like ive been done up like a kipper.

40 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

It very much is the ultimate style vs. style fight. It's the sort of the fight the UFC was created for, quite ironic that it ends up being in a boxing ring.

I hear what you're saying though Dave and im very much on board with it, i just know that ever since seeing Mayweather fight Hatton (the first Mayweather fight i saw) ive got super excited for every fight of his, only to find myself slumped in my chair with my hands on my head after 2-3 rounds thinking 'Floy's got this', Mayweather fights very quickly fall into a rhythm where you know he's cruising to victory (first Maidana fight being the exception), it's always very ant-climatic. I hope im wrong, but i won't be at all surprised if im slumped in my chair after 2-3 rounds again feeling like ive been done up like a kipper.

Yeah, once it hits that 3 round mark it's only matter of when, not if. I think if McG has any chance it happens early before Floyd gets settled and works out his rhythm.

Hoping for an MMA win though, just to see fools like Teddy Atlas crying.

• Paid Members

It was revealed on the MMA Hour that Conor isn't tied to Reebok for this fight and is a, "free agent," in terms of what he's wearing to the ring against Mayweather. So, essentially, you can probably add some more millions to that rumours 100 million figure. 

Hiw much for a UKFF logo on his trunks, do you reckon? Since we were there from the start, not like those goons who doubted him from the beginning!

• Moderators
9 hours ago, David said:

Or alternatively it's an absolute fucking joke. I've had the gamut of opinions ran at me in work this weekend from "Every cagefighter is a failed boxer", to "Aww, that McGregor right. DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK! He'll fucking slam the ref if he's losing"

Archived