The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Or alternatively it's an absolute fucking joke. I've had the gamut of opinions ran at me in work this weekend from "Every cagefighter is a failed boxer", to "Aww, that McGregor right. DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK! He'll fucking slam the ref if he's losing"

It's a classic "what if" discussion down the pub, brought to real life though, isn't it? That's what makes it interesting.

It's like the New England Patriots going up against the All-Blacks in an NFL rules game. 

• Paid Members

I can't believe that they've announced the fight for August 26th at the T-Mobile arena when the arena is currently still booked for some event linked to Ice Cube.

He's now come out saying he's willing to move his event, but at the right price. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, that is fantastic bollocks.

Here's Conor's striking coach Owen Roddy on the MMA Hour yesterday talking about the fight. He truly believes Mcgregor will win, and he doesn't even sound like he's simply selling a fight. 

It's fucking gutting letting the thought of Mcgregor KO'ing Mayweather run through your head to only realise the harsh reality more than likely will be a complete shut out. However, I'm going to happily chuck a £20 bet on a Mcgregor KO. 

• Paid Members

Similar to lamby and Helwani, I got goosebumps thinking, for a moment, he can do it. It's well played by everyone involved from Conor's side, they're doing a great job with the hype.

Anyway, his team played a blinder with his Reebok sponsorship expiring before this fight.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Noah Southworth said:

If Conor somehow pulls it off, where do we think it should rank in the list of all time biggest sporting upsets? It would obviously be one of the biggest of all time, but would it be the biggest?

It's hard to find the analogy because normally you wouldn't have one of the greatest of their era against somebody who'd never done something competitively. I guess the closest thing would be if Mo Farah beat Usain Bolt in a 100 metres race.

• Paid Members

Personally, I just can't see how you could call it the biggest upset of all time. When it comes down to it, it's punching someone in the face. The term 'punchers chance' doesn't exist for nothing. 

It wouldn't come anywhere near to say Greece winning the Euros or Leicester winning the premier league for example. 

The fight is a one off event where anything could happen.

• Paid Members

In a combat sports context, though, it could be the biggest upset ever. Sure, it's punching someone in the face, but these are sports developed over time based on the intrigue of seeing two people try to punch each other in the face who have trained most of their lives to punch someone in the face while avoiding being punched in the face.

Punch in the face.

• Paid Members

It would be without doubt the biggest upset of all time in combat sports, and definitely a humongous upset in general. Just wouldn't be bigger than say the two I've mentioned above. 

I guess you would have to sit down and truly think of huge upsets over the years, and whilst it could be up there, it certainly won't be the biggest. 

• Paid Members

Trying to think of something comparable in combat sports terms, but nothing really comes to mind. After all, boxing commissions' rules about competitiveness have probably prevented that from happening for some time. All the upsets I can think of have been at least within reason; Buster Douglas beating Tyson, JDS beating Werdum, quite a lot of the MMA stuff that's happened over the past two/three years, but I can't think of anything as extreme as a McG win over Floyd.

You're right that it probably doesn't compare to the Greece and Leicester triumphs though.

Archived