The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

The thing is, can Khabib even be relied on to make the weight anymore? 

Certainly not in Italy

I don't see Conor not fighting again in the UFC. He'd have had to come to some sort of agreement with Dana to allow him to take the Mayweather fight. No way would the UFC agree to their cash cow retiring before he's had a chance to make some money for them with his newly-acquired global reach to the casuals.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I don't see Conor not fighting again in the UFC. He'd have had to come to some sort of agreement with Dana to allow him to take the Mayweather fight. No way would the UFC agree to their cash cow retiring before he's had a chance to make some money for them with his newly-acquired global reach to the casuals.

If Conor decides to retire there's pretty much nothing the UFC can do about it, except slap a ban on him competing in MMA anywhere else.

How come it's Khabib's name being thrown around as his next UFC fight? Surely Ferguson gets the shot purely on the basis of being able to make weight, no?

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

How come it's Khabib's name being thrown around as his next UFC fight? Surely Ferguson gets the shot purely on the basis of being able to make weight, no?

You'd think so but as Chunk posted on the last page, Dana was talking about Conor wanting to fight Khabib in Russia after this Floyd fight is in the books. 

Whether that's true or just Dana being Dana and playing with the media is anyone's guess though. 

• Paid Members

That's going to be some Rocky IV shit if it happens. McGregor going into Russia to fight Khabib would be an amazing situation to watch unfold. But if that happens they better get McGregor the best security money can buy because you know he's going to mouth off over there and them Russians don't play. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

The thing is, can Khabib even be relied on to make the weight anymore? 

I reckon whenever McGregor decides to retire he might want to do one last fight in Ireland. No-one in MMA is more proud of where they're from than McGregor and I can see him wanting to give Ireland one last fight before he hangs the gloves up. 

Arguably the only thing he hasn't really ticked off his list is that Dublin stadium show. 

• Paid Members

I highly, highly, doubt Conor is fighting Kabib. And definitely not in Russia.

Firstly, he likely (and secretly) doesn't want to - it's a really tough fight. So why risk it when he could fight someone else for a much bigger buyrate & gate?

Secondly, Kabib may not make weight. Conor dismissed Kabib as a joke when he failed to make weight for his last fight - and he has a point. Would he even turn up? Kabib has a big mouth; but got carted away after fainting last time & he also doesn't fight around Ramadan - we never see the cunt.

Thirdly, it won't draw as well as Nate or GSP. Conor is following the money, as are UFC, especially with that debt. And Kabib is not it.

Fourthly - will Conor have been stripped of the LW belt between now & then when UFC get desperate to promote another title fight? So would the Kabib fight even be for a belt? And if Conor is still the LW champ, is Kabib even the #1 contender? He got brought to hospital before his last fight, and in 3 years he has beaten 1 name: Michael Johnson - a guy who is 1-3 is in hs last 4 fights. Ferguson deserves it more than Kabib IMO. 

And fifthly, no matter what Conor has said to Dana, he can't be forced to fight again in UFC if he's retired. Which I don't think he'll do, but he's under no obligation to fight again if he doesn't want to.

• Paid Members

Conor's just planting seeds. It's what Chael did after Bellator last week...we are way off anything happening but all the smart marketers keep planting them seeds to generate talk.

For me, the smart fight would be Conor vs GSP, either in Ireland or Canada.

GSP is small for welterweight these days, and could probably make lightweight if he wanted to. That's the money fight right there.

• Paid Members

I agree that GSP is the money fight to go for, for all concerned. Dunno if it'd make a difference to have it in Ireland or Canada, as they'd sell out the arena either way, but it definitely has to be in one of those arenas, not in Las Vegas.

That said, I think there's also a chance the UFC may want him to fight Ferguson, for the very simple reason that they know Conor will probably be riding off into the sunset after this, and will want him to make a new star before he goes. The promos between the two should be compelling, and with all the new eyeballs Conor will bring to the UFC, management will want to maximise that kind of impact.

• Paid Members

Maia to beat Woodley, GSP against Maia in MSG, with the hope of GSP winning (Maia being a better opponent for Georges than Woodley).

If GSP wins you can do a fight with Conor for either the 170 or 155 titles. If GSP loses you have Conor defend against Ferguson or Khabib in December.

Pending the outcome of that fight, GSP vs Conor could still happen anyway, just as a non title fight, in Canada, as it still suits the PPV business in North America. That's my thinking on what way the UFC want this to play out anyway. 

Archived