The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

On 04/07/2017 at 5:29 PM, d-d-d-dAz said:

It amazes me the amount of top ranked lightweights calling to have Conor stripped of his title because he 'doesn't respect the business' or '...the UFC' or '...the belt'.

Fuck that noise, you Karate Kid cunts. They should be doing everything they can to try and get Conor and the UFC's attention to be next in line should he fight in the UFC again.

The fact Edson Barbosa thinks the right thing is for him to fight either Tony or Khabib for the title is beyond parody.

UFC fighters are goof balls.

I understand why those fighters feel the way they do. What I don't understand is how they still don't realize how the game is played. Whether you like it or not, it should be blindingly clear by now what the game is and how you play it for your own benefit. If they want to knock Conor, fine. But at least have the common sense to tie that in with a challenge to Conor, a demand to be the one who faces him when he returns to MMA.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most of them realise how the game is played, they simply don't have a clue how to play it.

The mistake a lot of fans make is in thinking that becoming an MMA fighter automatically means that you're interested in being a showman, a shill, a pro rassler. It doesn't. And it shouldn't have to.

I can't be the only person who thinks it cringeworthy when I see some former college wrestler type who can't string a sentence together and who's spent his whole life wearing tracksuits and trainers sitting at a press conference looking as uncomfortable as fuck in a badly fitting suit, sunglasses and a stupidly large watch.

I knew this would eventually happen, and it has. All these fighters believe that the only way to get ahead in the UFC is by trying to emulate certain guys, and creating fake, rubbish "feuds" to sell fights.

It's a pile of shite for the most part, and only serves to make the legit, special feuds seem like less of a big deal. Too much of a good thing and all that.

Anyone remember the days when guys looked like individuals at press conferences rather than doing their best to look like a Matalan McG?

03_UFC121_Presser.jpg

couture_nougueira.jpg

They probably figure that by moaning like fuck about McG not being stripped of the title they're "getting their name out there" or something.

That image is a fake by all accounts, the run of dates is backwards in terms of logistics, makes sense to start In London (which is the only location  that's actually been officially mentioned as having a press conference by anyone involved so far) and then move over to the East Coast and West due to jet lag etc. This does the polar opposite. Don't take it as legit. 

In some of his fights where there was bad blood Floyd would send all his roided up bodyguards/goons to walk over to the other fighter at the press conference and have them threaten and hurl insults at them and their team. At the Maidana 2 press conference they even did it on stage. Its one of Floyd's things he likes to do to wind opponents up. If he tries it with Conors team I'm expecting violence. I can see at least one of these ending in absolute chaos.

• Paid Members

One little thing I picked up on on that poster. Next to Mayweather promotions there's a McGregor sports & Entertainment logo.  I still can't believe the ufc don't have any promotional clout in this.

Archived