The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

5 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

I've said it before, but I don't think GSP can make 155lbs. I just think it's beyond him. If a Conor/GSP fight happens, I expect to be at a catchweight, most likely 162/163lbs.

Yeah, you could be right. He's a bit older now as well. A catchweight fight would probably be about right, especially if we wanted both fighters coming in as the best version of themselves they could be.

53 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Maia to beat Woodley, GSP against Maia in MSG, with the hope of GSP winning (Maia being a better opponent for Georges than Woodley).

If GSP wins you can do a fight with Conor for either the 170 or 155 titles. If GSP loses you have Conor defend against Ferguson or Khabib in December.

Pending the outcome of that fight, GSP vs Conor could still happen anyway, just as a non title fight, in Canada, as it still suits the PPV business in North America. That's my thinking on what way the UFC want this to play out anyway. 

Honestly, does anyone actually see GSP beating Maia or Woodley? I really don't.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i could see GSP beating Maia handily, if he comes back and resembles close to the fighter he once was i'd see him jabbing the face of Maia all night...Woodley i'd not be so confident about.

• Paid Members

I'm with Egg on this, I think he matches up well with Maia. I'd favour Woodley against him though, but it's all based on GSP being what he used to be, which is a bit of an ask I suppose. 

• Paid Members
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, Egg Shen said:

Conor's just planting seeds. It's what Chael did after Bellator last week...we are way off anything happening but all the smart marketers keep planting them seeds to generate talk.

Exactly this. It's what Conor figured out better than any UFC fighter - you can keep your name in the headlines even when you're not fighting, and column inches equal money.

In fairness, I assumed that's all the Mayweather fight was ever going to be - McGregor making headlines - so I'm in Never Say Never mode around him now.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

John Kavanagh, Conor's coach, noted on Twitter that Apollo Creed was 49-0 before he faced a southpaw that no-one thought had a chance. I love it!

Great comparison. Assuming McGregor can squeeze in 65 pro fights between now and August.

It amazes me the amount of top ranked lightweights calling to have Conor stripped of his title because he 'doesn't respect the business' or '...the UFC' or '...the belt'.

Fuck that noise, you Karate Kid cunts. They should be doing everything they can to try and get Conor and the UFC's attention to be next in line should he fight in the UFC again.

The fact Edson Barbosa thinks the right thing is for him to fight either Tony or Khabib for the title is beyond parody.

UFC fighters are goof balls.

He won the title eight months ago, so there's fuck all need to strip him of anything. If he's still not booked to fight anyone by November of this year then they may have a point, but not before that point.

• Paid Members

They really should have hard and fast rules on interim/stripping titles rather than faff about arguing in every situation (and having interim titles made every week). I'd say that unless you retire or otherwise choose to vacate the title, the rules should be:

* If you get to a year without defending it or having a defense scheduled and signed, there's an interim championship created.

* If you get to two years without defending it, you're stripped and the interim champion is upgraded. (That can happen right away if and when a doctor confirms you won't be able to defend by the deadline.)

I'd suggest some sort of waiver for if the promotion are messing about and deliberately not setting up a title defense, but it's their title anyway, so that wouldn't work.

• Paid Members

nah, you don't wanna go down that route...a Silver Champion in Boxing (i believe only the WBC has a Silver Champion) was originally brought in as a secondary title to the main belt, a Silver Champion doesn't get upgraded to full champ if the proper Champion is stripped though so it really serves no purpose other than being a bit of a bargaining chip.

I never really understand the issue with the Interim Champions in the UFC or the fuss it causes it's a pretty straight forward situation (unlike boxing). The UFC have an Interim Title in the works for Lightweight (Khabib/Ferguson), whoever wins is basically the acting Champion until the real Champion returns, if the real Champion doesn't return in a specific time frame (this needs to be defined) then the real Champion is stripped and the Interim Champion is made 'full' Champion...and if the real Champion returns after a hiatus but before the time frame for being stripped they fight the Interim Champion and the belts are unified, what the problem?

People are crying now that Conor should be stripped, but why? There's a title belt in place that the division is fighting over. If Conor doesn't return within the required time frame the division has a justified Champion in place.

Archived