The Notorious v Money

ColinBollocks

Anthony Joshua didn't say he wanted to fight on the undercard of this solely off his back, Sky will hunt this down as much as possible I'd have thought.

Its crazy to think that Sky as good as had UFC signed up last year when the BT deal was expiring, only for the exec office to rip it up as they didn't think UFC reflected 'sky's core values'. Irish eggs all over old English faces, I think.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, lambyUK said:

Probably Paulie Malignaggi

Yeah, that's him.

I don’t mind boxing people being critical of this fight, and for the most part, what they’ve said is completely correct. My only problem is that boxing regularly has fights that are just as big jokes, but nobody says a word because the fights in question are a normal part of the boxing business.

• Paid Members

I wonder how many of the casual sporting audience who are hearing about this for the first time realise it's straight boxing.

I also suspect it's a safe bet that if by some miracle McGregor won, about 99% of people would assume it was fixed.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, lambyUK said:

I wonder who's going to show the fight over here? Sky Sports Box Office will more than likely be the destination as it was for Mayweather/Pacquiao, but there's definite questions to be asked.

Will the UFC's deal over here with BT Sports somehow give them first dibs to run it on PPV? Who knows, and then there's the commentary team. Will we just get the Showtime commentary team or will we get a team specifically for the UK broadcast? If we do, and it ends up on Sky, I sincerely hope it's someone who at least respects MMA because it will be tedious listening to a team shitting on the sport for the whole of the broadcast.

It's crazy when you think about it with these two worlds coming together. It's certainly going to be the first PPV i've purchased in about 10 years.

Dana said on the conference call that it's Mayweather's people that are in charge of the production etc, while White will be an advisor of sorts. I assumed that means the UFC's deals over here will mean nowt.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, JNLister said:

I wonder how many of the casual sporting audience who are hearing about this for the first time realise it's straight boxing.

makes you wonder because theres a poll on the BT Sports site with 13,000 votes and 67% have picked McGregor to win.

Just had a look at the odds on PaddyPower and Mayweather is Evens for KO/TKO at any point which this far out from the fight is as good a price as you'll get it. Mayweather is 7/1on to win the fight. McGregor is 9/2 to win the fight and is 6/1 for the KO/TKO. Mayweather by decision is 6/4 while Conor is 25/1 and 33/1 for a draw.

Theres a whole bunch of other markets, the pick of the bunch being 'Gone in 60 Seconds', with Mayweather to win 60 seconds at 100/1, McGregor is 66/1 to win in 60 seconds while you can get 50/1 for either to win in 60 seconds

• Paid Members

It's a shame the UFC aren't handling some of the promotion for this event as they deliver their press conferences better than any other promoter in combat sports. They just feel a lot more slick and professional. 

• Paid Members

i think people expected a boxing/mma hybrid card (not helped by that silly Haye/Manuwa talk), but its been stated that Mayweather Promotions will build the undercard. Badou Jack (a Mayweather fighter) vs. Nathan Cleverly is likely to be chief support.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

I've already experienced this a lot. People in my office talking as if it's an even fight which either man can win, many even favouring Conor. Some even saying Floyd has, "no chance."

When people with a clue explained that, ninety nine times out of a hundred, Conor would destroy Floyd in an MMA fight and Floyd would destroy Conor in a boxing match, people were genuinely stunned. Someone even asked, "well what's the point, then?" 

Millions and millions of money, mate.

I was listening to TalkSport this morning where they said that if they were to fight under MMA rules in the Octagon, it would be a much more even fight.

What?  

• Paid Members

an MMA fight would be a bigger mismatch than the current situation.

The craziest thing about all of this is how much of an even fight many people think it is. Im no standup expert and have never laced up a pair of gloves in my life but it baffles me how many people seem to think the standup in MMA and a pure boxing style are comparible. Once Conor has the bigger gloves on and is in a more traditional boxing stance, a lot of people are gonna be in for a bit of a shock.

Cheapest tickets are £3500! 

As a sporting contest I have little interest in the fight, but it's going to be mental and I will certainly buy it. McGregor has beaten the game, I just hope he doesn't earn so much that we never see him the UFC again. His absence has been felt.

Lomachenko doesn't have a fight right now does he? He'd be great for the undercard. 

Archived