Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

I don't get the "looking the part" thing either. Not everyone wants to look like Lex Luger in nuthuggers. It wouldn't make wrestling a bigger deal if it looked like the World Bodybuilding Federation either. And then when you get a guy like Strowman or that new Dylan Miley guy in developmental, it actually makes an impact the more they stand out.

The complete lack of any attempt to pre-book Jinder up the card, makes this much worse than Owens' reign, or even Snoreton. Credible booking? Get real bro! India = $$$. I guess that Tian Bing guy should dethrone him then. Who cares about talent or storytelling when we have ~lucrative markets~ instead? 

That and the shitty Hassan-esque "you hate me cos im different" gimmick ensures this stinks from all angles. 

Still hilarious though. If you fully ignore World Heavyweight Champions and just look at the WWE titles lineage, he stands out like fuck. Him and Vince basically at the bottom of the pile. 

So how do we see the Smackdown/WWE title picture playing out of the next few months? Jinder/Orton matches for a couple of months then Jinder/Mojo for the title at Summerslam? Jinder/Zayn for the title?

• Awards Moderator

That's going to be one of the many struggles for him. JBL had Undertaker to work with after his title win, and while later on he got involved with Angle, Big Show and Booker T he was also having title matches with Hardcore Holly. The main event scene wasn't swimming with guys on SmackDown at that point, but they were stacked compared to now. If Jinder had a stream of main event standard opponents he could sneak wins past to retain the belt it's one thing, but Mojo, Zayn or, to be honest, anyone bar Cena and Styles just isn't going to make him feel more than he is.

its not even the 'appeal to the Indian market' thing. I get that - that's a sensible thing. Going all the way back, Sammartino was champion because he appealed to the Italian audiences in the New York territory. The 'Real American' was champion during national expansion. If you want to make waves in India, have an Indian champion. Logical. It's just the lack of anything preceding it taking place and the sheer rapidity with no effort to justify the end result that rankles with me. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

sj it's real simple and of course Russo said it best.

It's like Sesame Street. If you divide the TV screen into 4 squares and you put Ambrose, Rollins, Owens and Lesnar on there even a 3 year old child would point to Lesnar as being the odd one out out. It's like trying to fit the triangle into the square hole. It doesn't work. A child knows it doesn't make sense. The average TV viewer at home does not buy into it. It's the same with actors. Singers. Bands. Entertainers. The ones that do well are the ones that look the part. When you see them you know they are a somebody, even if you don't know the job they do you can just TELL by looking at them, this person is a somebody, they don't look like me, they don't dress like me, they don't CARRY themselves like me or anyone else. This person is a somebody. Wrestling is the same way.

And the problem today is that far too many of them don't have any experience, not just wrestling experience but life experience. Most of you on here will have more life experience than half that roster. Relationships, friendships, mortgages or rent, education, most of you on here will have more experience of those aspects of life than half that roster and it comes across. Finn Balor comes across like a young boy. Most of them look like young boys. They don't look like men. No one shouts or swears. Real people raise their voice when they are angry, real people swear and if you are an adult with any kind of life experience under your belt you know that. You can see that. You can tell me otherwise because you don't like me but you know it's true. I know exactly what most of your families or friends would think and say OUT LOUD if they seen the New Day on your TV or Kevin Owens or any of these other ones that are on there. You know that and I know that. That's how obvious it is. You don't even need to be a wrestling fan or even know ANYTHING about wrestling to look at the screen and say....shite. A load of shite. Most of the country would take a look and after 5 seconds say shite, cause it is shite just like the 3 year old could point to Brock Lesnar, the 3 year old knows the rest are shite. It's just a natural born instinct we all have to call bullshit and that's what most people have done with wrestling for years now and that's why the numbers are so low.

The only way around it that I can even fathom is if you are a young woman or young man in your early 20s and this is a new faze for you. Wrestling is a new thing in your life and you don't know any better and all you have for references is friends, the millennials in which case you'll be used to that. You'll be used to little 5'7 boys with beards and women at 5 foot nothing, that's your life anyway so when you sit down for 5 hours of WWE a week that to you will be exactly what you want to see, a clone of your real life but for the rest of us, for people like myself anyway and I think I absolutely speak for casual fans and casual TV viewers for that matter, when we watch wrestling, it takes a lot for us to settle into it. You need people that look believable, that act believable and look the part and that just doesn't exist anymore outside of Cena, Orton and Reigns. But if you're young enough or new to it enough that stuff wont matter and of course I'll be the enemy and I'm this and I'm that and I don't know what I'm talking about and the numbers say everything anyway. Less people than ever are watching. If the numbers were going the other way then absolutely I'm an idiot and every other name I get called on here but they're not and that's that.

28 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

its not even the 'appeal to the Indian market' thing. I get that - that's a sensible thing. Going all the way back, Sammartino was champion because he appealed to the Italian audiences in the New York territory. The 'Real American' was champion during national expansion. If you want to make waves in India, have an Indian champion. Logical. It's just the lack of anything preceding it taking place and the sheer rapidity with no effort to justify the end result that rankles with me. 

Couldn't agree more. As much as I don't like Jinder, I can't help but feel it'd all be a lot more understandable if it wasn't just so lazy and sudden. It's like that old idea of giving someone the Intercontinental title to put them over, but on a grander scale - it doesn't mean anything if there's nothing to support it.

2 hours ago, sj5522 said:

Still hilarious though. If you fully ignore World Heavyweight Champions and just look at the WWE titles lineage, he stands out like fuck. Him and Vince basically at the bottom of the pile. 

At least Vince was always over as fuck!

Edited by Daaaaaad!

9 hours ago, scotswizard said:

And the problem today is that far too many of them don't have any experience, not just wrestling experience but life experience. Most of you on here will have more life experience than half that roster. Relationships, friendships, mortgages or rent, education, most of you on here will have more experience of those aspects of life than half that roster and it comes across. Finn Balor comes across like a young boy. Most of them look like young boys. They don't look like men. No one shouts or swears. Real people raise their voice when they are angry, real people swear and if you are an adult with any kind of life experience under your belt you know that. You can see that. You can tell me otherwise because you don't like me but you know it's true. I know exactly what most of your families or friends would think and say OUT LOUD if they seen the New Day on your TV or Kevin Owens or any of these other ones that are on there. You know that and I know that. That's how obvious it is. You don't even need to be a wrestling fan or even know ANYTHING about wrestling to look at the screen and say....shite. A load of shite. Most of the country would take a look and after 5 seconds say shite, cause it is shite just like the 3 year old could point to Brock Lesnar, the 3 year old knows the rest are shite. It's just a natural born instinct we all have to call bullshit and that's what most people have done with wrestling for years now and that's why the numbers are so low.

I'm sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read :laugh:

15 hours ago, air_raid said:

Yes. I like to suspend my disbelief, and Jinder's a fucking nobody. I don't believe in the ascension of someone from lifetime loser to champion as quickly has it has happened. It's nonsense.

Leicester won the title after scraping survival the previous season. Though I suppose you might say Jinder's in a different division.

Worst bit about this Jinder title win is the anti-smark "I'm smarter than the smart fans" lot pretending they're delighted with it and that he isn't the shits. By no means to I think Jack Evans should be headlining Wrestlemania but you probably want a champion who is safe in the ring, can cut a promo and has some sort of credibility with your fanbase. 

Could we end up seeing Drew vs Jinder for the belt at Wrestlemania down the line somewhere? 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

Leicester won the title after scraping survival the previous season. Though I suppose you might say Jinder's in a different division.

Leicester also won the title by putting together a string of wins and building up momentum over the course of nine months.

• Awards Moderator
29 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

I don't know much about football, but I assume Leicester probably won quite a lot of games before they could win their title, rather than one or two at the end after losing all season.

Otto - do you have the link to the Hindi commentary? I'd love to hear it, I bet they were delighted!