Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

The way I look at it is if I put Smackdown on tonight having never seen it before, I'd see Jinder as champ and not bat an eye. Looks like a wrestler and not someone's uncle down the pub, puts on matches no worse than most the roster, heels it up pretty well.

It's only because we know who he is that it's hard to accept it.

Most casuals I know have seen the likes of Finn Balor and Kevin Owens and thought it was ridiculous. Not many of them bothered by Jinder winning.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Knees were everywhere this weekend weren't they? They're the new "do something on the apron". Everyone seems to be hitting knees.

Well, can't have Nakamura looking special now, can we?

I joke a little, but you're right, every fucker in WWE and NXT seemingly does a running knee now. When Shawn Michaels came out of retirement, they stopped everyone else using the Superkick. If they really wanted to get behind Shinsuke, they should stop everyone and their dog using knee strikes as near-falls and protect the Kinshasa.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

The way I look at it is if I put Smackdown on tonight having never seen it before, I'd see Jinder as champ and not bat an eye. Looks like a wrestler and not someone's uncle down the pub, puts on matches no worse than most the roster, heels it up pretty well.

It's only because we know who he is that it's hard to accept it.

Most casuals I know have seen the likes of Finn Balor and Kevin Owens and thought it was ridiculous. Not many of them bothered by Jinder winning.

I've never understood the "looking like a wrestler" thing. Even before I discovered forums and workrate and all that stuff, muscles didn't impress me. I mean, obviously they impressed me from a physical standpoint, but it had no bearing on how much I liked them as a wrestler. As a kid, I thought Hulk Hogan was just a big slow muscly guy that was boring to watch, and that Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio were the shit.

As I got older and learnt more about wrestling, some of my tastes changed- things other than flips can win me over now- but the constant remains that I value ability over appearance. Couldn't give two shits if you look like Goldberg, Mick Foley, Sami Zayn or Randy Orton, just get in the ring and entertain me. Whether a casual or a smark, screw this "looking the part" stuff.

• Paid Members

Not to mention that, with UFC and MMA in general becoming so mainstream, most people recognise now that it's not necessarily the biggest, most muscular lad in a fight that's going to win.

Meltzer was Tweeting about this last night when someone said that Jinder Mahal made sense as champ because historically big muscular types draw money - basically, there's no absolutes.

You have to be a big muscular guy? Well, we could all reel off names of musclebound blokes who never made Vince a single penny, while on the other hand, Dusty Rhodes, Mick Foley, Fred Blassie, Ray Stevens, so on and so on...wrestlers who never exactly an Adonis, but were decent draws.

You have to be a good talker? Well, the Sheik was arguably the highest drawing heel ever, and never spoke a word. But at the same time, that doesn't mean anyone else can draw without talking and that talking doesn't matter.

Ultimately, if any wrestler or wrestling promoter had figured out, as an exact science, what does and doesn't draw, and what people would or wouldn't respond to, they're keeping it pretty bloody quiet.

I was thinking the other day that the annual WWE game will be due in a few months time and there have not been any major new characters since the last game. Kurt Angle is obviously one but part of me thinks they need someone like Jinder as a new champion to push new characters in the game. Obviously I can't see many people going to buy a game because of Jinder but they need to have some 'creditable' new characters I would have thought and I know that game shifts a lot of units year by year. An extremely small part to why Jinder is champ I am sure but was just a thought I had the other day about the lack of new stars in the last 12 months. AJ made the cut last year as well as Nakamura. 

• Paid Members

I doubt it, they don't really use new characters to sell the game do they? They use an old character and their respective 'modes', like the Stone Cold mode a couple of years ago. Sting and Goldberg have been key characters for selling the game in recent years, too. And Brock before he returned.

• Paid Members

First time the Hardy's have been in a WWE game for a good few years. I reckon a swift push for Jeff to the top of the card and him on the cover covered in paint might sell some copies.

• Paid Members

Not to mention that Jinder being champ would mean sod all to his inclusion in the game, they could put him in anyway - they're not exactly going to stick him on the cover, so it's literally an issue of toggling "champion" from "no" to "yes".

As for new characters for the game, as PunkStep said, they sell the game on the big gimmicked old school name; Goldberg, Austin, Sting, Lesnar, whoever.

This time round, the usual yearly roster update, plus Kurt Angle, The Hardy Boyz, whatever other "legends" they add in, and another big gimmicked star will be more than enough. It's not like they have to go to much effort to sell the thing.

• Awards Moderator

I'll admit to being completely opposed to the idea of Jinder as champion. Not in and of itself - though I can't say I've never liked him, I've never cared enough to think anything about him - but the speed at which he went from nothing at all to being Champion. Even JBL had to have a second go before he won the belt, and I detested his push to the top. Give him a few months of push before he gets to the pinnacle at least. To paraphrase Rick, now whenever I do the WWE Champions Sporcle quiz, 'Jinder Mahal' is going to be an answer. Forever. I know it's just a prop and I know it doesn't reeeeally mean much, but my fan-addled brain still considers that title the peak of what you can be in wrestling and it's been won by a virtual nobody. I just find it weird.

However, thinking of positives:-

- they can still get Jinder to a position of feeling a little less completely out of place by keeping him champion for ages. Do the JBL run again. Have him cheat and sneak his way to staying champion for ages. Keep it on him til Mania, why not. It'd be completely ridiculous if he just loses it in a month so now he's got the thing, make him title worthy retrospectively. It can be done.

- Nobody should ever be able to say they can't do something anymore. Donald Trump is the President and Jinder Mahal is WWE Champion. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING. Anything is possible! 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, textonly said:

Does it really matter that Jinder was a jobber two months ago?

Yes. I like to suspend my disbelief, and Jinder's a fucking nobody. I don't believe in the ascension of someone from lifetime loser to champion as quickly has it has happened. It's nonsense.

• Paid Members

It's ridiculous but they must also be in it for the long haul with him. WWE need to have him "credible", and possibly still champion, when they next do a tour of India. I don't know if there is one in the pipeline for the near future, but I don't think there is one currently booked is there?

As HG says, he could well be champ until 'Mania time.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Yes. I like to suspend my disbelief, and Jinder's a fucking nobody. I don't believe in the ascension of someone from lifetime loser to champion as quickly has it has happened. It's nonsense.

Could be worse.

Dachamp.jpg