Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, scotswizard said:

It's like Sesame Street. If you divide the TV screen into 4 squares and you put Ambrose, Rollins, Owens and Lesnar on there even a 3 year old child would point to Lesnar as being the odd one out out. It's like trying to fit the triangle into the square hole. It doesn't work. A child knows it doesn't make sense. The average TV viewer at home does not buy into it. It's the same with actors. Singers. Bands. Entertainers. The ones that do well are the ones that look the part. When you see them you know they are a somebody, even if you don't know the job they do you can just TELL by looking at them, this person is a somebody, they don't look like me, they don't dress like me, they don't CARRY themselves like me or anyone else. This person is a somebody. Wrestling is the same way.

The only way around it that I can even fathom is if you are a young woman or young man in your early 20s and this is a new faze for you. Wrestling is a new thing in your life and you don't know any better and all you have for references is friends, the millennials in which case you'll be used to that.

Right...so a three year old could tell "instinctively" what a professional wrestler should like, but someone in their early 20s who hasn't watched wrestling before wouldn't. Casual viewers instinctively know what a professional wrestler should or shouldn't look like, but someone in their early 20s watching wrestling as a "faze" (sic) apparently lack that instinct? As usual, you contradict your central argument within seconds of making it.

12 hours ago, scotswizard said:

And the problem today is that far too many of them don't have any experience, not just wrestling experience but life experience. Most of you on here will have more life experience than half that roster.

Touring the world for a decade or more, working all over the world, meeting and working with countless people from different countries and backgrounds...yeah, I'm sure the "life experience" of most wrestlers in WWE pales in comparison to the life experience of the audience, clearly.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I don't know much about football, but I assume Leicester probably won quite a lot of games before they could win their title, rather than one or two at the end after losing all season.

Otto - do you have the link to the Hindi commentary? I'd love to hear it, I bet they were delighted!

Here you go: 

• Paid Members

Has every Indian (most by way of Canada) wrestler in WWE, other than Khali, been Sikh? I find that really interesting and a bit surprising. 966m Hindus in India, 20.8m Sikhs, yet Sikh wrestlers in WWE vastly outweigh Hindu wrestlers.

For instance, Jinder, Gama Singh, Bollywood Boyz, Tiger Jeet Singh and his son Tiger Ali- all Sikh.

Khali wasn't Sikh but he was Punjabi, the ancestral land of Sikhs. Sikhism is/was a martial religion so physically many Sikhs are well suited to combat sports, and combat in general. Sikhs are a minority in India but make up a huge number of the army, and thousands fought in World War 2. Wrestling was something that was actively encouraged by the Second Sikh Guru and there are many wrestling Akarahs (training schools) all over Punjab and in many Sikh gurdwaras in the UK and Canada.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

I had a few Sikh classmates at school who had ridiculously strong grips, they used to challenge other lads at school to handshake crushing. One of them said that Sikh boys are given physical exercises to do regularly as a matter of course, which is why so many Sikh guys are bastard-strong.

IIRC when Jinder was still in NXT, Regal used to frequently mention Dalip Singh; guessing by the name he was Sikh.

Yeah, Singh is Sikh. Khali actually has a Sikh name so I'm guessing he's converted to Hinduism.

I wouldn't say Sikhs are given physical excercies to do regularly (I am one) but physical activity is heavily encouraged both in the tennents of the religion and culturally.

• Moderators

Interestingly it seems to me that it's not just cultural/religious but actually physical. Punjabis tend to have a more stocky or muscular build than other Indians. Is this a case of natural selection as influenced by the religion? Or is there also an element of the geography that plays into it?

Or maybe it's just purely anecdotal observation on my part that doesn't actually have any evidence to support it.....

No, it is in our blood so to speak. A lot of Punjab is agricultural land so I'm sure part of it is evolutionary and the rest is probably hereditary.  Tracing back geanology/DNA, most Punjabis have a different heritage to the rest of India, mainly Portuguese and Greek or so I understand.

Probably some natural selection by  the path the religion had taken too. On my trips to Punjab I've been to historic gurdwaras that hold weapons used by Sikhs in 1500/1600s and to say they were big would be any understatement,  I struggled to see how a normal sized human could use such a thing. There have been many civil wars Sikhs have been involved in so I'm assuming those who couldn't fight or were smaller were the ones whose lineage died out.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

Ah, I've been conned! In fairness, it's probably one of those playground boast things. My mate Tribhavanh did have a tendency to spout bollocks on occasion, such as the one that I'm sure everyone remembers, that if you completed Street Fighter II with all Perfects, you got to face Master Sheng Long.

The Greek heritage thing makes a lot of sense; the history of Graeco Buddhism and the legacy of Alexander the Great in India is absolutely fascinating.

I think one of the ways they are trying to get passed the 'Jobber to World title in 3 months' is by introducing the Singh Brothers. Am I correct in thinking he has not won a match without these two interfering at some stage during the match? I guess it only highlights he is not a creditable champion.