Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I had a bit of an argument about a month ago after a random bloke started quizing my other half about the Metallica shirt she had on.

I used to useĀ an old John Lennon (one with his face right on the front) T-shirt to go to the local shops and always gotĀ quizzed like I was onĀ "Mastermind" when everybody passed. Ā "He Was Fucking Yoko Ono, eh?"......(me) "Yip".

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I bought a new skateboard deck last week. which looks like this.

KDHE16969.jpg

I didn't realise that the eyes glow in the dark, so I got freaked out when I woke up in the middle of the night.Ā Ā I had it propped up against my wardrobe and saw a load of eyes staring at me whilst I was in a stupor.

• Paid Members

Bizarre thing happened this morning. Ā Found out i'd been left some money in the will of a woman i've never met. Ā 

My mum went into foster care as a child, and reconnected with her mum when my nan passed - no inverted commas, that's who she was - so I never knew this woman at all.

Feel like IĀ should be delighted with the unexpected windfall, but struggling to process it really and instead, feel ungrateful for not jumping for joyĀ - Mums happy, so I suppose i've no reason not to be, just the complexity of the past makes it hard to understand and celebrate - like if my old man turned up out of the blue tomorrow, at best, i'd muster a shrug of the shoulders, you know?

On an entirely separate note, fuck me am I seeing some terrible, TERRIBLE wrestling posters on Twitter the past few weeks. Ā Now I know I have a vested interest here, but christ... when you consider I and many others don't charge the cost of a family ticket to have something properly put together, there's absolutely no excuse for some of the showers i've come across lately.

Exhibit A:

14680776_1182084915171795_6489680467036157904_n.jpg

Not to mention two candidates for #FFSBRITWRES - 'Brutality' Wrestling present 'Family Slam' and another company promoting an EXTREME RULES MATCH the kids will love.

I try and bite my tongue on this stuff, don't want to shit on my own doorstep and alienate potential customers, but I guess in the same way wrestlers themselves must frown upon so called 'Shitarses' stinking up shows, i feel the same way about what I do - going to go back through the 'Design a shit wrestling poster thread now' to cheer myself up. Ā Honestly, whenever I hear the words "Ah, don't worry about that, i've got Photoshop mate, i'll sort it" sends shivers down my fucking spine.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members

"Crusierweight".

I was having a chat about this the other day with the guy who does all our design work - it's staggering how many people, not just in wrestling but all over the place, don't see the worth in good marketing. Wrestling seems to attract some of the worst of it, though.

That one above isn't particularly eye-catching, and far too much text, but it's far from the worst I've seen. It at least gets one thing right - the first things you see are the word "WRESTLING", followed by the place and the date. I've seen posters for gigs that don't tell you the location, plenty where that sort of information is buried in small print, and I've got a couple of wrestling posters at home that don't feature the word wrestling at all, or ifĀ they do, it's only in something like a web address.

In wrestling, and in promoting gigs/DJs etc., which was my previous foray into the big wide world of promoting, you see so many people who put too much stock in their brand. There's a place for that, but when the biggest words on your poster are the clever name you came up with for your event, at the expense of what your event actually is, you're doing it wrong.

I'm a firm believer that "WRESTLING" should always be the biggest word on a wrestling poster. Fuck your brand, fuck your promotion's name, fuck the witty title you came up with for the show, the average punter in the street doesn't know or care about any of that, they're just going to see THE WRESTLING.

I'm clearly preaching to the choir here, but a good poster is exactly the same as a good wrestling promo: it helps to be creative, but if the key pointsĀ people take away from itĀ aren't What's Happening, When, and Where, it's a wasted effort.

Ā 

Honestly, whenever I hear the words "Ah, don't worry about that, i've got Photoshop mate, i'll sort it" sends shivers down my fucking spine.

Ha! This was about to my very next point. That, or any variation of "I've got a mate who does Media" or whatever, it's a huge alarm bell for me. Because to too many people, "that'll do" is good enough, or else they're clueless enough to think that whatever they've cobbled together actually is good enough.

One of our wrestlers did a photoshoot a while back, because their mate was "a really good photographer". They were shit. All shot outdoors, only using natural light - and doing that badly - nothing that remotely fit the character, poorly framed, and with the most obvious "I just learned how to use Photoshop" effects, like one that's all in black and white apart from the eyes in colour or some bullshit.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm a firm believer that "WRESTLING" should always be the biggest word on a wrestling poster. Fuck your brand, fuck your promotion's name, fuck the witty title you came up with for the show, the average punter in the street doesn't know or care about any of that, they're just going to see THE WRESTLING.

I'm clearly preaching to the choir here, but a good poster is exactly the same as a good wrestling promo: it helps to be creative, but if the key pointsĀ people take away from itĀ aren't What's Happening, When, and Where, it's a wasted effort.

From a marketing perspective, I agree on the whole 'lead with WRESTLING' bit, but when i'm actually producing artwork, I love it when a promoter doesn't feel thats required, so much more real estate to play with, like in this case for example - i use this particular example, because my other pet hate is the part i've bolded, whereby the poster needs to convey every single combination of price point and booking option, so you're writing in an 8pt font by the end of it.

Ā 

DBzhW9DXkAABk5v.jpg

Ā 

• Paid Members

We've no aircon in the office, so all of the windows are wide open and consequently, it sounds as though everything happening outside is taking place at my desk.

We're based in a fairlyĀ eventfulĀ part of town too, directly opposite four pubs and in close proximity to about half a dozen kebab/chicken shops. Ā You can picture the scene i'm sure.

It's a bit of a haven for reprobates and winosĀ and it's not uncommon to hear "FUCCCKINN' BASSSTAAD" or other such pleasantries yelled at full volume. Ā The kicker though, someone has just yelled "LISSSSEN YA CUNT, PAKI SHOP GOT A QUID AAF SPECIAL BREW". Ā 

Struggling here lads i'll be honest with you. Ā 

Ā 

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members

I follow mumsnet_madness on Twitter for the sheer lunacy you get on their forum, especially their 'AIBU' (am I being unreasonable) section, where 90% of the time the straight answer is 'yes, yes you are being unreasonable'.

The account posted a thread today that has been going on for a few days now. If you've got time, have a read of this: https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/nanny_shares/2957919-Overpaying-unqualified-live-in-nannies-housekeepers

Summary: I want an unqualified and unregulated Nanny (preferably from south east Asia) to work up to 50 hours a week and live with my family, but am only willing to pay them Ā£250 a week. Otherwise, I will have to pull my kids out of private school.

My fucking word.

• Paid Members
On 16/06/2017 at 7:05 PM, Tommy! said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L37-3v7DyYs

I need to know what Ukff toilet and fecal expertsĀ @Steve Justice& @Scott Malbranquemake of this.Ā 

In the case of the former, you can't be an expert on toilet matters if you can't even use it properly.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Hadn't read the whole of that thread before, surely MummyZu is just a troll?

If so, that's a lot of effort just to troll. We're talking scotswizard proportions.

But I don't think it is a troll, just an over-entitled mother out of touch with reality. The thread continues up to today, and she's softening on other suggestions now.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

In the case of the former, you can't be an expert on toilet matters if you can't even use it properly.

He's thinking outside the box. He is the Copernicus or Clive Sinclair of the UKFF Poo Posseā„¢

I stupidly commented on someone on Twitter regarding that prick Tommy Robinson and fuck me, my mentions. My poor phone went into meltdown, I even got a "You're getting a lot of mentions, do you want to set up filters?" Message. How on earth do popular people actually deal with this level of response. It's insanity. Still, they were a cunt that needed tellingĀ