Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

Sorry, I can't offer any advice but I hope you get it sorted promptly. I was in the same position about a year ago owing £700 in rent arrears, luckily I'm a council tenant and they told me to pay it back at £20 a month. It seems that housing etc is a right pain in the arse down south. 

Yeah, he is really incompetent. When the electrician fitted the shower last week he said that because there isn't enough water pressure to reach the third floor, the shower will burn out soon.  He said the piping needs doing and the landlord knows this but he won't put his hand in his pocket.

its only because we had to escalate things to have the work carried out he is seeing his arse.  It looks like he hasn't secured our deposits as per legal requirements either so we have that to fall back on if he starts talking eviction.

9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Keith's Post

Keith, do you have your tenancy agreement on hand? If so, write a list down of all the things you are having landlord/property problems with and have number 1 as your biggest problem/worry and work from there. Look through the agreement and see if anything matches up and if there is any possible solution to them. Note down the page/section it relates to as you can then use that to help you down the line. If there is anything that you don't understand fully or make heads or tail of, get yourself to your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau and they should be to help or put you in contact with departments that may be able to.

Next time you are in contact/speak to your landlord, note everything down - time, date, length of conversation, key/notable points. If you have previous evidence of contact, list that too, e-mail/etc. If your landlord asks you to do or agrees to do anything for you,  ask for it in writing or at least submitted in an e-mail with signature and phone number for evidence as they can then be held accountable for their own actions and show a true picture of their character should it go any further.

Look for their certified/registered landlord number/evidence accreditation from Manchester City Council, I don't think they have to notify you of it as a whole but I believe that they have to be registered with MCC, I had to back in 2009/10 but things may have changed since then. There's no harm in enquiring that line if needs be.

Given your landlords unwillingness to spend monies on repairs, I can't see them taking you to court/evicting you anytime soon but it's best to check your tenancy agreement and see the length of your contract, a shorthold is there only way of feasible removing you from a property quickly.

I hope that your problems are sorted sooner than later and best of luck with everything. 

That's really helpful, thank you for that.  I do have Shelter helping me so I'll make a note of everything you suggest and keep it to hand.  Funnily enough, my girlfriend emailed him before Shelter got involved and it bounced back as an invalid address.

• Paid Members

Keith, bit of a long shot(and you have probably looked into it anyway), but have you had a word with the council to see if they can house you on illness grounds?

I'm just asking because I had a very similar issue. I had to give up work due to a physical disability, and the changes in lifestyle had a massive effect on my mental health. I was forced to leave my family home(which I owned) and a local landlord agreed I could live in one of his houses without credit checks etc. Unfortunately he was a complete scam artist who saw I was mentally ill and took advantage. He moved me into a slum(no other word for it), and put the rent up every month until I couldn't afford it any more and got into £1000's of debt with him(my mental state meant that I just put up with it). He used to come around and take me to a bank to draw out any benefits I had and took it all as well as let himself in to take my belongings to sell. He even used to give me a kick in if I had spent more that £5 worth of food for the week(he said it was because I owned him so much). When I looked at the tenancy agreement, it was just a fake document that I hadn't noticed in my mental state, and so didn't want to tell anyone as I thought it was my fault I hadn't noticed.

Anyway, after my fourth attempted suicide a friend decided he was going to stay with me(I wouldn't tell anyone about the issues I was having) and witnessed what was going on first hand and got me out of the property to safety, and went to the council. They agreed I was at risk and after 3 weeks of living on a couch was offered a council home. It's been the best thing to ever happen to me, as I didn't have to worry about rent or council tax while I got myself sorted, and they made sure the living conditions were up to scratch.

Not sure how the social housing situation is where you are, but it might be worth a bash?

• Paid Members

On the BBC pay gap: I completely agree that, say, the two people presenting BBC Breakfast should be paid the same. But should individual presenters not be paid according to ratings? Or does that not really come into it because it's a public service broadcaster and thus, in theory, shouldn't be concerned with ratings?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Or does that not really come into it because it's a public service broadcaster and thus, in theory, shouldn't be concerned with ratings?

I don't think ratings it should come into it with the BBC. If this were ITV, then higher ratings would have a direct impact with the amount of revenue they can secure from advertising- so it would/should then reflect on those that are having an impact on the ratings. However I can't see how that can apply with BBC seeing as ratings makes no difference to their revenue.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

On the BBC pay gap: I completely agree that, say, the two people presenting BBC Breakfast should be paid the same. But should individual presenters not be paid according to ratings? Or does that not really come into it because it's a public service broadcaster and thus, in theory, shouldn't be concerned with ratings?

They are basically paid the same. Dan Walker gets paid more overall because he does shit loads in addition like Football Focus, a point conveniently overlooked by the Sun.

I also don't want the Beeb to pay solely based on ratings, because it is worth more than that. BBC 4 documentaries on Constantinople with Simon Scharma are not pulling in 8 million people, but they offer a vital public service in terms of information that are simply not replicated by other broadcasters with the same quality.  A central part of their mandate is that informative and public service aspect and it's a constant battle to marry that with the pure entertainment stuff (things that get ratings). 

I still hate Gary Linekar though, sorry. 

Edited by Gus Mears

Does anybody watch MOTD for Gary fucking Lineker or do they tune in solely for English Premier League highlights? Point being is they could get any cunt to his job at tenth of his salary and it wouldn't effect the ratings in any shape or form. 

Saying that , ratings shouldn't even come into it, the BBC have a gauranteed income with the licence fee whereas every other network has to worry about advertising revenue. It's seriously unbelievable.

• Paid Members

Ratings probably do need to factor into it somehow, though - if you're appearing on the highest rated BBC show, and earning a fraction of what you could earn from a similarly rated show for ITV or Sky, where's the impetus to stay with the BBC? They still need to be competitive.

• Paid Members

The whole issue of what BBC presenters are paid, and the idea that they're being paid too much, I think is bollocks. I was just trying to look at ways in which, in some cases, a pay gap between a man and a woman for doing essentially the same job, albeit on a different show, might be justified. Still can't work any decent reasons out tbh. 

• Paid Members

Well, yeah, I do agree with that. I think it's hard for the BBC because, as far as I can see, they are working very hard to promote diversity on their TV channels and they've been getting pelters online over the pay gap and also the lack of BAME on their rich list.

In other news, I just got an e-mail from HMRC telling me there's been a change to my tax code and I should login online and have a look. Turns out they owe me £300. Fucking excellent. That'll pay for my week in Barcelona in September.

• Paid Members

What they need to do is save money by flushing out the expensive dross like Chris Evans and Graham Norton and get in some real celebrity names who will come in for the cost of a bag of chips and 20 Benson and Hedges. 'The Radio 2 Breakfast Show' with Keith Chegwin for my morning ablutions and 'Late night with John Virgo' before tucking myself in to bed for the evening. They could spend the money saved on contracts on bringing back Howard's Way.

EDIT: While looking at Keith Chegwin on Wikipedia after posting this, clicked on the, page for his ex-wife Maggie Philbin, which contained this absolutely superb picture. 

Blackburn_Philbin_Radio_1_Roadshow_early

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I think the problem with so many of the high-earners being white blokes is surely a historical thing? They're largely blokes who have worked for the BBC forever, so will have worked their way up to that kind of salary through contract negotiations, incremental wage increases, and all the rest, since way before the focus started to be on diversity.