Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

I got properly fucked around by Easyjet yesterday.

I was in London for Pro Wrestling: EVE, flying back to Jersey Sunday evening. Really foggy and zero visibility at Jersey airport, so had to turn around and fly back to Gatwick, by which point there were no new flights. We were put up in a hotel, and told that we'd have a flight in the morning, probably around 8am, and that we'd be sent a text or an email, or the hotel would inform us, when the flight time was confirmed. Never received a text or an email, and the replacement flight was cancelled. Woman at the customer service desk the next day, when I asked her why we were told there would be a flight, and why we were told we would get a text, when neither happened, just said, "I never told you that". I know you bloody didn't, but someone working for Easyjet did, so you could maybe try and take some bloody responsibility as a company, no?

There were no Easyjet flights from Gatwick to Jersey until 7pm the following day, and her best suggestion as to what I should do was to get a flight from Southampton, which was due to leave in three hours' time. She didn't seem to grasp any of the reasons that wasn't exactly ideal. I eventually ended up having to book a £300+ BA flight, as it was the only flight from Gatwick that day, and now I'm skint and trying to claim my money back from Easyjet for the flight, for breakfast at Gatwick, for a taxi from the airport, and for Wifi at the hotel because I was awaiting an email that never came. If I'd thought about it, I'd have kept my ticket for the £3 shuttle bus from the hotel to the airport and claimed for that just to make a point.

• Moderators

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4705492/Fugitive-s-17-years-run-ends.html 

I drank with him often in the village! Like literally we just went for a pint on Thursday. Quite the shocker, is this. Just seemed a nice normal bloke. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Gary fucking Linkear and his fucking pontificating about his massive fucking salary. I think the Beeb is great and am delighted to pay the licence fee. I  don't particularly give a shit that they pay presenters high wages, because market rate and all that. I also don't give a flyer about his political views, some of which I agree with. 

But Gary pleading poverty and saying 'I could have stuffed my pockets full of even more lucre at ITV' is a load of sanctimonious shite. Woe is fucking me indeed. I imagine it's slightly easier to keep your millionaire BBC job when you're also earning a massive wedge from BT and filling your gob full of Walkers like some fucking monkey in a cage the rest of the time. I absolutely remember why I put him as top twat in HG's most recent list. 

He's now Retweeting Alan fucking Sugar banging on about how Gary could have been paid even more somewhere else. Maybe that's true? Am I meant to give a shit about his emotional turmoil over earning a million or two less than he could on Sky? Am I meant to be incredibly thankful for the amazing public service Gary provides by slumming it at the Beeb and talking about ? Cheers Gary, you're the light of my fucking life. 

Arse. Hole. 

Edited by Gus Mears

I may be wrong, but my impression on reading the tweet is that he's trying to defend the BBC, making a general point that they don't throw quite as much money at presenters as their competitors do. Which may or may not be true, I don't know, but I don't think he's trying to make anyone pity his pay packet.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Have you got annual travel insurance you can call on?  There's also flat rate EU compensation, but I can't remember if that covers weather.  Check out Martin Lewis' moneysavingexpert.com and resolver (I believe it's .co.uk).  I ended up using their advice to get £2k as compensation (600 Euro pp) through the EU scheme on top of my travel insurance pay out when our flight out of Heathrow broke down at the gate.

I don't have travel insurance, because I'm terrible at being an adult and actually arranging that sort of thing.

I'm really not sure where I'd fall in with EU compensation - I know it doesn't allow for delays caused by weather conditions, so I wouldn't be able to claim anything on the initial flight, so it would come down to whether I'd be able to claim anything for the promised replacement flight; as the flight never even seemed to exist in the first place, I'm not sure it would technically even count as "cancelled".

On top of that, my status as an EU citizen is confusing as fuck, so I'm not sure I'd be covered anyway. I have a Jersey passport, and Jersey isn't an EU member state - but I was born in England, so should still be an EU citizen and entitled to freedom of movement rights as per the Treaty of Maastricht, but it does start to get a tad confusing beyond that point.

1 minute ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I may be wrong, but my impression on reading the tweet is that he's trying to defend the BBC, making a general point that they don't throw quite as much money at presenters as their competitors do. Which may or may not be true, I don't know, but I don't think he's trying to make anyone pity his pay packet.

That's the impression I got too, but by being sarcastic about it, he's left it open to criticism.

It's the same sort of criticism you'll see CEOs of charities, or MPs, get whenever the issue of their wages comes up - just the amount of money they're earning, out of context, sounds like a huge amount and is an easy way to get people worked up. But it doesn't really tell us anything; comparing the wage they're earning to what they could be making in the private sector is more telling - and, unfortunately, charities, public services, and even the political system, need to be competitive with the private sector or else very few people will take those jobs.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

I've always wondered about the Channel Islands, ever since I found out that Matt LeTissier and Graeme LeSaux were eligible to play for both England and France. Sure, that's only in a sporting context, but it does raise the question of what sort of cultural or political traditions there are that that would even be considered in the first place.

As to Jersey's EU status - I was under the impression that all the Crown Protectorates and Bailiwicks fell under the UK's banner of membership. Just as the EU represents its members to the world in terms of trade, the UK would represent its members (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Isle of Man) to the EU, no?

• Moderators

They could have played for any home nation. Wales turned Le Tiss down, honest.

Le Tiss also claims he couldn't play for France.

Having been born in Guernsey, you could have played for any of the home nations, or even France. Did you ever consider shunning England – especially for Les Bleus?!
Danny Decarlo, via email
Firstly, the France thing was a load of rubbish. I wasn't qualified to play for France, even though my dad received some phonecalls from Gerard Houllier in the early '90s. The French FA thought I might be able to play for them and Houllier was ringing my dad to ask him to try and persuade me, but I didn't have any French relatives so it was a non-starter. All I wanted to do growing up was to play for England, so no other country ever crossed my mind.
Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/matt-le-tissier-one-one#tMgfO3jyTq4eMdxC.99

Perhaps you should have played for France. Is it true that Michel Platini had earlier tried to convince you to declare for them? Yes, he sent his assistant, Gérard Houllier, to inquire but the only country I had ever dreamed of representing was England. Besides, they obviously hadn't done their homework very well because there have been no French relations in our family for ages so I wouldn't have qualified for them anyway.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I do remember Scotland making LeTissier an offer to play for them; the newspaper reporting it said they were able to on the basis that England had turned him down so often.

Honestly didn't know that about the French thing; I was told this by several people who sounded really confident in that, and it never occurred to me to check that out. Thanks for that, Butch.

Either way, I don't think Tiss was given a fair opportunity by England. Worst culprit was Hoddle at France '98.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I've always wondered about the Channel Islands, ever since I found out that Matt LeTissier and Graeme LeSaux were eligible to play for both England and France. Sure, that's only in a sporting context, but it does raise the question of what sort of cultural or political traditions there are that that would even be considered in the first place.

As to Jersey's EU status - I was under the impression that all the Crown Protectorates and Bailiwicks fell under the UK's banner of membership. Just as the EU represents its members to the world in terms of trade, the UK would represent its members (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Isle of Man) to the EU, no?

It's complicated.

Jersey is a crown dependency, which in simple terms means that it's aligned to the crown, not to parliament, and has the right to self-governance and judicial independence from the UK. We have our own government, and our own laws outside of the UK.

Officially we represent ourselves in international law and international agreements but, informally, and in practice, the UK represents us internationally after consulting with Jersey's government. The only time I'm aware of Jersey being apart from the UK in matters of international law was that the States of Jersey voted in opposition to the Iraq War. But, ultimately, we're a member of the British Isles, but not of the United Kingdom, so the UK government are in no way obligated to represent us as a "member" in the sense you mentioned.

When it comes to the EU, we're not a member state, but effectively are allowed to act as one for the purpose of free trade in goods. Any EU legislation used in Jersey or Guernsey is voluntary, there's no obligation for us to use it.

If I were born in Jersey, I wouldn't be entitled to freedom of movement or work in the EU, as it's not considered a member state.

It starts to get even more confusing when Brexit is concerned as, because we're not part of the UK, nor are we part of the EU, we didn't get a vote in the referendum, but will be hugely impacted by it.

Fuck sake.  As some may know, I got ill recently and got signed off.  I told my landlord all about it and said how I need him to confirm I live here and what the rent is etc, as my tenancy agreement was from over a year ago and Housing won't pay out until it's confirmed.

Long story short, I had to get in touch with Shelter as he hadn't sent it and as a result I haven't been able to pay rent for a few months.  Well since shelter got in touch, he has actually got his arse in gear for repairs.  My girlfriend lives in the flat above and she had to wait three months for a shower to be installed as the old one had no hot water running to it.  This wasn't so bad as she had baths at mine but my boiler blew six weeks ago and is only being sorted out today.

he phoned me up having a right go about the lack of rent, saying I owe him months and he reckons he only found out last week that's he needed to confirm the details.  I've been on to him for months, but it was phone conversations and not texts.  He has only got his arse in gear because Shelter contacted him.

my anxiety is through the roof thinking I'm going to get evicted.  I'm not ready to return to world after trying to top myself last month but I feel I've no choice.  I know he is only being the arse because he is a shit landlord and we got someone involved to call him on it, but I feel fucked.