Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Primark sell them along with Black Sabbath, Motorhead and a few others. I think the Hell Awaits logo was used by some big fashion brand too, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if they don't know the band but some people get so offended.

Matalan has a load of metal/rock/grunge shirts as well.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

You should get one of these blinding shirts, or something from that store, or just send the designer money for a laugh

https://www.redbubble.com/people/attractivedecoy/works/26731339-absolut-boy?grid_pos=1&p=t-shirt&rbs=127fbce7-3c5f-44b4-b2f2-04b2014c3e14&ref=products_grid&style=mens

Every time I see someone wearing something from my Redbubble store, I demand they tell me their top 5 Ian Beale episodes.

If they don't pick the one where it's shot in real-time with him begging for money and ends with him on his knees in the gutter in front of Phil, I strip it from their body and burn it.

2 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

Headline:  Teenage Pregnancies Halve In A Decade

Bloody media. One minute teenage pregnancies are a bad thing, the next it's become the most efficient time to get pregnant.

• Paid Members
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, Astro Hollywood said:

I used to think that was irritating, but then I saw noted arse Martin Freeman being an arse about it to some TV host ("what are your three favourite Ramones albums?") and suddenly didn't have a problem with it.

I was chatting about this with a female friend last week - if another bloke sees me at a gig in a band T-shirt they like, chances are the only response it'll get, if any, is "alright, nice shirt mate". Whereas if she were wearing one, you can pretty much guarantee that a bloke will stop her and quiz her on what she knows about that band, as if she has to prove that she's a "proper" fan and not just, you know, a girl.

She wears Black Sabbath shirts a lot, and this happens to her all the time, and it's bloody irritating. She's a massive Sabbath fan, but that shouldn't matter. She could have only heard Paranoid, and really liked it, and that would be enough to her to justify buying and wearing the shirt. She could have never even heard of Black Sabbath, and it would still be none of the bloke's business what she chooses to wear.

Likewise, it used to annoy me, but I don't give a shit now. Band shirts are just about the brand anyway, people just wearing the brand is the logical conclusion of that anyway. And, yeah, people can wear whatever they like, it's their business, and has no bearing on my life whatsoever. People being arses about it are more irritating than people who choose to wear a T-shirt because it looks cool.

• Paid Members

I had a bit of an argument about a month ago after a random bloke started quizing my other half about the Metallica shirt she had on. Now, we have both listened to Metallica since we were kids, so she could answer most of the questions this sad act was asking, but it really rubbed me up the wrong way. It was the usual bullshit, like who was her fave bass player and which of their early albums were her faves, basically anything to make himself feel more of a man...

Ended up with him walking off down the isles of Morrisons shouting about how he hates it when "new fans"(his words) latch on to the mighty "'tallica"(also his word) and he listened to them before they were signed. Since he was about 21, I really doubted that...What a nob!

I used to go out with a girl whose step dad was a massive Sisters of Mercy fan. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, no disrespect to anyone that is. I know 'This Corrosion' and 'Temple of Love' and that's where my knowledge of them ends.

Whenever I was round their house, he often just ask questions like "whose the best guitarist of all time?" or "what's the best album from the 80s?". After firstly pointing out that questions like that are completely subjective and openly completely to personal opinion etc. I'd say what my picks were and put forth my reasoning for it. The follow up? "NO! You're wrong! It's so & so from Sisters of Mercy" (I can't remember the guitarists name) or "NO! such & such is the greatest album". So basically if you have any answer other than Sisters of Mercy, you were wrong.

You come across it a lot in the rock & metal scene. I can be a massive fan of a particular band and that's fine , but I don't need to try and prove myself as the biggest fan if I ever meet someone  who shares the interest. Last year at Bloodstock, a Mecca for elitist Metsl fans, a guy noticed my Opeth tattoo. I was just sat st one of the benches at one of the bars and he just starts quizzing me about Opeth and as I've been a fan of Opeth since I was about 15 I could answer all of his questions because they're one of my favourite bands, but this guy was getting increasingly annoyed about it. You could see it in his face. If a question was to be asked that I didn't know, I'd have said "I don't know" and it wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest because I don't need to prove my fandom to anyone and I know that no matter how big a fan I am of something there's always going to be someone whose an even bigger fan, and that's fine. But you'll always come across people who feel they need to prove themselves