Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

One of my four cats has been unwell for the past few days. Not eating or drinking, vomiting bile, lethargic. So, I took him to an emergency vet this evening.Ā 

The vet said that he is dehydrated, has a sore stomach and possibly an inflamed bladder. Here's the kicker: we don't have insurance. We did look at insuring all four cats but because one of them is a pedigree and has a damaged eye already, it would have cost Ā£200 a month. So, we didn't do it.Ā 

The vet said she wanted to admit the cat, do blood tests, give him fluids and try andĀ determine what was up with him. This would have cost Ā Ā£1,300. I absolutely would pay that. I love all my cats but this particular one, Nico, is my favourite. He is very attached to me. But I just don't have Ā£1300 spare. So in the end we settled for getting some blood tests to rule anything out there (which it did) and getting him injected with some fluids and something to help with the vomiting.Ā 

I'm hoping that this now might pass but it is possible he has some kind of GI blockage. My mum is on benefits so she's going to take him to the animal hospital she uses as it's several orders of magnitude cheaper. He needs an xray and we go from there.Ā 

Anyway, moral of the story is: get pet insurance. You might think it won't happen to you, but it might!Ā 

Also, is private veterinary practice a racket or what?

Also also, thank God we have the NHS. If it costs that much to treat a cat, I can't imagine what human medicine would cost us.Ā 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

When I was 18, I had a cat (Pip), who I absolutely adored.

Anyhoo, one day he came in with his tail all floppy and in a lot of pain. Took him to the vet who said he likely got clipped by a car and basically broke his tail. Had it amputated so he had this tiny sad stump. Like you, I had no insurance so it was about Ā£600 for the op. But the kicker was that they spayed the little bugger whilst he was under and didn't even ask, and chucked another Ā£100 on top. CHEEKY FUCKERS

It was weird, when you stroked him his little stump would raise up and he obviously missed it. Bless himĀ 

• Paid Members

Today I've sorted a collection of 4 generation's of my familys vinyl records. It had everything from bros andĀ milli vanilla to early original beatles LPs.Ā 

The most obscure is Max Bygraves singing about pit safety for the NBC and a recording of some distant family in Australia sent for my dad's grandmothers 63rd birthday. I'll have to listen to it at some point but I know it's going to be creepy as fuck.Ā 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Tommy! said:

The most obscure is Max Bygraves singing about pit safety for the NBC

Bloody hell, I have to hear that.

When I was 18/19 I worked in a record shop, and used to go mad for all the weird novelty, obscurity and educational records we got in.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Tommy! said:

The most obscure is Max Bygraves singing about pit safety for the NBC and a recording of some distant family in Australia sent for my dad's grandmothers 63rd birthday. I'll have to listen to it at some point but I know it's going to be creepy as fuck.Ā 

Tommy, I have to know more about this. Was there a particular reason why a relative thought your pension-age Grandmother needed to know about pit safety? Was she planning a late career change into tin mining? Did she own mining memorabilia of some kind? I must know.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Tommy, I have to know more about this. Was there a particular reason why a relative thought your pension-age Grandmother needed to know about pit safety? Was she planning a late career change into tin mining? Did she own mining memorabilia of some kind? I must know.

My bad writing I'm afraid, and not as interesting as they are different records for and from different people. The pit safety song, of which there are two copies, were my from my mother's side, her dad and brother. The NCB gave them to everyone to promote healthy and safety.

My dad's side were all metal workers, gun smiths or in the army. My moms side were all down the pit or in the army.

I've found another box full today. I only pulled out one but it was a Mrs. Miller compilation, so you know there's going to be something interesting in there.Ā 

Edited by Tommy!