Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members

He was more "Aaaaargh my fucking head, you bitch" at the time. He then got carted off to hospital and I've not seen him since.

I won't be holding my breath that a jobless stoner will be offering to pay. I could make an insurance claim and then try and get a recovery through the criminal compensation board, but considering the costs involved it'll be less damaging on my wallet if I just source a new bonnet.

Absolute wank. 

• Paid Members

I got an ergonomic, stand-up mouse from Amazon today. Only a tenner. It's fucking awesome. How did I ever survive with a normal mouse up to now?

I guess when Glen Quagmire said I was part of the snobby elite, he was right!

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Cheers. I only discovered that series right around when I started doing my journalism degree and it's been a nice bit of parallel reading to my course materials!

I have a dual monitor set up a home now and found a really cool Transmet background as well:

2017-07-08.png

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Overheard some teenagers yesterday discussing Pride and tolerance in general and stuff. One of them made a slightly off-color comment and his mates immediately chastised him and pointed out how attitudes are changing and society isn't the same as way back in the distant past when people were less open and accepting.

Which was a great sentiment. It's just I felt very old because what they actually said was: "Hey, you can't say that. It's not, like, 2005."

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Overheard some teenagers yesterday discussing Pride and tolerance in general and stuff. One of them made a slightly off-color comment and his mates immediately chastised him and pointed out how attitudes are changing and society isn't the same as way back in the distant past when people were less open and accepting.

Which was a great sentiment. It's just I felt very old because what they actually said was: "Hey, you can't say that. It's not, like, 2005."

Times move quick. That would make me feel positively decrepit, though.

I was, bored, looking through an old thread on a message board a while back, from around '05/'06, and in amongst it was some casual transphobia that I'd be genuinely shocked by if I saw today, yet went largely unchallenged.

I work in education, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how with it a lot of teenagers are these days in terms of calling out stuff like that. It's good to see, and good to see things moving forward.

A colleague once complained that he thinks some kids are just claiming to be "gender-fluid" or "gender-neutral" because it's a cool new thing, and he's probably right in a lot of cases - you can say you're "gender-neutral" and that makes you quirky and interesting without actually having to live your life any differently, and when I was a teenager you'd have people claiming to be bisexual for the same reasons - but my view is that teenagers are always going to try and latch on to something that gives them a sense of identity, or that goes some way to giving an easy answer as to why they don't always feel like they fit in with the world, and if they feel confident and comfortable enough with gender equality issues to claim to be "gender-neutral" just to make them sound more interesting, then let them do it, fair play. I shudder to think what would have happened to a kid when I was that age if they so much spoke about the concept of identifying with a different gender.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, JNLister said:

Was it another Tory telling MP Anne Marie Morris that you can't say the N word these days?

Absolute "carnage" today in Weybridge as our GP/Community Hospital burnt down last night. 

Thought I heard a couple of fireworks last night which I thought was weird as it was pissing it down and past midnight.  Turns out they were explosions from the fire. 

Anyway, strange to see Weybridge trending on Twitter, and Americans saying "Stay safe London" and others wondering why there are so many high profile fires and it is a COINCIDENCE??? 

Oh and Starbucks is shut ffs 

• Paid Members

These acid attacks: I was the first person to break that story last night after speaking with a Haringey police officer late last night. It's a horrific thing but I do feel a sense of pride in being the first to report on it  (hours ahead of mainstream outlets), although it's not like anybody has actually noticed that I was the first person to report on it:(