WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

2 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

They're very hit and miss, the PS4 only supplies a certain amount of power to its USB ports so using a hub can cause issues with things plugged into it failing. Maybe a powered hub would work well but that's another plug socket taken up.

• Paid Members

PS3s are pretty cheap now. I'm thinking of getting a late gen one, SLIM? To use as a DVD player and for smart features. Do the later gen ones have the stupidly loud fan?

Can I use them with a SCART TV?

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, BigJag said:

PS3s are pretty cheap now. I'm thinking of getting a late gen one, SLIM? To use as a DVD player and for smart features. Do the later gen ones have the stupidly loud fan?

Can I use them with a SCART TV?

If your thinking of getting PS+, be aware that they are not including PS3 or Vita games after next March.

• Paid Members

My main reason for getting one was to use it as a DVD player, media server, and for the smart features. Largely to use on a large CRT that I can't bear to get rid of. Games are way down the list of requirements. I have a phat PS3. It suffers from the stupidly loud fan issue, however. 

What would I miss by not having PS+?

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

Cheers for that. I've done a bit of research and found that the cause of the loud fan is low quality thermal paste/adhesive on the CPU and GPU. It's a pretty extensive process to replace the thermal paste on those parts. Does anyone know if the Slim PS3s suffer the same loud fan issue? My phat PS3 really does sound like a jet engine taking off. This loud fan is largely why I want to get a slim PS3. Would the slim PS3 be HDMI out only?

5 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Only major things you would miss out on, on PS3 would be automatic console updates and being able to upload save files I think.

Can't think of anything else, off the top of my head.

As long as your PS3's connected to the Internet you shouldn't need PS+ to get automatic console updates. Many of them are to combat piracy so it's in Sony's interests to make sure as many users have the latest firmware as possible.

Fucked up on GTA. My assistant kept telling me to buy a garage like she was Roman wanting a game of pool. So to shut her up I bought one underneath my offices. Turns out that one is for your cars and not the vehicle cargo bit. 

Oh well, back to grinding out 2 mill 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

Just picked up Titanfall 2 for a fiver from the Deals with Gold on Xbox live.

Seems criminal that a) It's this cheap, and b) EA basically sent this game out to die.

Only an hour or so in but that seems like too good a bargain not to shout about!

I loved the original Titanfall but the way f they pushed it to market without any real single player campaign and then charged full price for it left a sour taste. However I loved the multiplayer and the mechanics of Titanfall so much, I still picked up the sequel on release. I really enjoyed the single player campaign. I'm not sure how well that was received, but I thought it was great. Probably partly because it wasn't overly long and meant I could finish a game for fucking once. I also really enjoyed the multiplayer, for the time I played it. I got TF2 on the Xbox One though and haven't really touched my console for months, between being busy and kinda sticking with my gaming PC. 

It's obviously not going to get another game, but I think the Titanfall 'franchise' overall was really, really good. 

• Paid Members

I had fun with it, despite the insultingly short length (well south of 3 hours for me), but never could understand all the talk of it being revolutionary and the best FPS in years/of that year. I thought DOOM and Infinite Warfare had much better campaigns in 2016, the latter even had a more likeable robot companion than BT!

Still feel for it getting that brutal release date between Battlefield and COD, though. .

Mass Effect 1 is a little clunky compared to it's sequels, but worth a go if you enjoy Bioware games/action RPGS. ME2 is almost bloody perfect, and ME3 is a good game despite the ending.

I even have a soft spot for Andromeda. Nowhere near as bad as people make out imo.

Andromeda is just a little bland and before the patches it was an ugly fucker, an ok game tho.

Halo 4 is great, gameplay is rock solid but the story gets a little too silly after 3, especially worth playing now that you can pick it up for next to nowt.