WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

They are releasing Sega Mega Drive Classics on the PS4 on May 29th, around 50 games included and involves online play! 

And Xbox apparently. Steam will also be getting an update to their current line up. It will be later released on disk with a double sided Golden Axe/Streets of Rage poster.

Anyway, 53 games, much better line up than I thought. Not too much filler. It will be really interesting to see what the ‘online’ features are... just think we might get a Phantasy Star online, maybe some kind of multiplayer Streets of Rage. I have to say though, I’m most giddy about Kid Chameleon (maybe my favourite ever game) and also Alien Storm. Both are in my top 5 mega drive games.

I don’t know why it’s missing a Road Rash title, that’s a real shame. I can only assume it’s licensing issues. Also, a Jungle/Urban/Dessert Strike would have been a good shout. 

I would also have loved a couple of other maybe not so obvious games, such as Skitchin and California Games. We don’t need 2 versions of Columns.

Anyway, here’s the list:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Alien Soldier

Alien Storm

Altered Beast

Beyond Oasis

Bio-Hazard Battle

Bonanza Bros.

Columns

Columns III: Revenge of Columns

Comix Zone

Crack Down

Decap Attack

Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine

Dynamite Headdy

ESWAT: City Under Siege

Fatal Labyrinth

Flicky

Gain Ground

Galaxy Force II

Golden Axe

Golden Axe II

Golden Axe III

Gunstar Heroes

Kid Chameleon

Landstalker

Light Crusader

Phantasy Star II

Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium

Ristar

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

Shining Force

Shining Force II

Shining in the Darkness

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Sonic 3D Blast

Sonic Spinball

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Space Harrier II

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2

Streets of Rage 3

Super Thunder Blade

Sword of Vermilion

The Revenge of Shinobi

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

ToeJam& Earl

Vectorman

VectorMan 2

Virtua Fighter 2

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

Wonder Boy in Monster World

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

10 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Nintendo themselves officially announced they were doing it on Switch during E3. Not sure how much more confirmation you'd need.

Aye, that's the "we're working on it" that I was on about. We know it's happening, but as far as "here's the trailer, folks! It's coming!" sort of things are concerned, there's been nothing along those lines. Just a difference in the definition of "announcement", innit. They've said they're making it, but they haven't announced its official "reveal". Perhaps I should have said "there haven't been any details about the release of Pokemon Switch" instead.

I don't even like Pokemon! :laugh:

9 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Are they currently available on PS4 network/store, or the Xbox equivalent? That’s all I can assume, otherwise yeah it’s odd.

Not that I know of, yea it’s weird, I didn’t even notice when I scanned the list yesterday, I was just hoping to see the streets of rage games on there and didn’t really care to check for others.

Dynamite Headdy though! Massive favourite of mine. 

2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I don’t know why it’s missing a Road Rash title, that’s a real shame. I can only assume it’s licensing issues. Also, a Jungle/Urban/Dessert Strike would have been a good shout. 

I would also have loved a couple of other maybe not so obvious games, such as Skitchin and California Games. We don’t need 2 versions of Columns.

It looks to me like all the games included were published by Sega, whereas Road Rash for example was published by EA. So like everything else with Sega these days, it's the path of least resistance where cost and effort are concerned.

• Paid Members

It's a pretty standard list - more or less the same games that popped up on PS2 and PS3 versions of the Mega Drive collection, though I think Toejam and Earl is a new one! I'll still buy it, though, despite still actually owning a Mega Drive. Regardless of how high-tech the console I own, I'll always end up just using it to play Alex Kidd and Streets Of Rage 2 in the end.

Nothing there's really jumping out at me as, "fucking hell, I didn't think we'd get that!" or a hidden gem to push it to the next level - would have been nice if they could pull something out of the bag a la the Mini SNES having an unreleased Starfox game on it, though no idea what that would have been anyway.

Really curious what the online features are - hopefully it's some genuinely new content, rather than "you can play Streets Of Rage 2 multiplayer, though rather than it being with your brother in the same room as you, it's with some random 12 year old in America".

Some of the Mega Drive games that are on PS Now - I think they were PS3 re-releases initially - have stuff like speed runs, time attack and so on, it may just be that in terms of online content.

Apparently the physical copy comes with a double-sided Golden Axe/Streets of Rage poster. Worth the full price alone!

• Paid Members

Occasionally they'll reissue a Master System game as part of a broader collection - Alex Kidd In Miracle World has popped up on most virtual console type things, and the Sonic Gems and Sonic Mega Collection had some of the Sonic Master System and Game Gear games ported.

A lot of the best games on the Master System, though, were ports of arcade games, or had a superior Mega Drive version, so I can't think of much that would be worth celebrating purely on the strength of the Master System version.

I'd say a Master System collection, of games that were unique to or had their best version on that console would have, say...

Alex Kidd In Miracle World
Alex Kidd In Shinobi World
Phantasy Star
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic 2
Sonic Chaos
Baku Baku Animals
Kung-Fu Kid
Golden Axe Warrior
Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap

And that's kind of clutching at straws on a couple of those anyway.

Throw in Kenseiden, Psycho Fox, Asterix, Castle and Land of Illusion and one of the best versions of Ninja Gaiden and I'd buy it.

But you're right about most games being inferior ports, I'd just rather see something different than the same old Mega Drive collections again. I'd love new ports of games like Panzer Dragoon or Last Bronx, both were on last rereleased on PS2 but in Japan only. Fighters Megamix was outstanding too, it sold a bucket load but has vanished from history.

• Paid Members

A lot of the great Sega games - on any console - were third-party, so I imagine licensing would be a bit of a nightmare. Which is a shame, because as great as the games on this Mega Drive collection are, they're not really treading any new ground as far as re-releases go, and we're not getting the likes of Road Rash, Castle Of Illusion, Desert Strike, Aladdin, and so on.

It would be fun to see the Saturn and the Dreamcast given a little love too, but early 3D games age so much worse than 2D games, so short of full HD remasters it's unlikely. Saying that, I was still playing the Dreamcast up until about two years ago, and it's surprising how well some stuff has held up.

• Paid Members

The Master System is one of those consoles I just don't "get". I never had one as a kid so have no nostalgia for it, so to me it's just a console with 8-bit weaker versions of Mega Drive games. I tried going through a load of them and no games stood out as worth playing now unless you had nostalgia for them.

We did play some Vampire game on it which was apparently a Castlevania game and honestly played a lot better than the NES Castlevanias, but it didn't have that classic feel to it. Felt like a knockoff and we had to look it up because it was so much like Castlevania we thought it must have been one.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Don't forget Enduro Racer. It was one of the few Master System cartridges that cost a tenner, and whilst it was short, it was great fun and one of my most-played games.

My first ever cartridge game! I really enjoyed it, still have the music in my head.