WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Far Cry 3 is so great. Most fun I've had getting my teeth into a game since Mass Effect 3. I hope people aren't sleeping on this one because it needs to be played by everyone.

Fave moment so far: I'm planning my attack on a pirate base and notice they have a cage with a tiger in it so I shoot open the cage and the tiger goes fucking nuts and starts attacking everybody. As this happens I sneak over to the base alarms and switch them off (to stop the pirates calling in reinforcements), at some point during the pirates fight a petrol barrel explodes setting half the nearby jungle on fire. In the chaos I start picking off pirates from a distant with a sniper rifle while a tiger runs around killing the ones I'm not shooting at and the jungle around them is burning to the ground. Finally the pirates kill the tiger and I finish the remaining few pirates. I go into the base main room and set a bomb and I have 10 seconds to get away. The other side of the base is by a river so I run across to the river for safety as the pirate base explodes. I jump into the river for cover...except unbeknownst to me this river is infested with alligators. So mere moments after all that madness on land I'm being dragged under water stuck in the jaws of an alligator while frantically stabbing it in the head for survival while the water around me fills with my blood.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
How much quieter, if it is possible to explain in words, is the slim black xbox compared to the loud-as-fuck original versions? It puts me off watching DVDs on it because it's so noisy.

I don't know about the slim version, but all the newer 360s in general run MUCH quieter than the original. With the original, if I wanted to play games late at night I'd have to wear headphones, as I had to turn the tv volume way up to hear it over the console. I haven't had that problem with my more recent ones, they're pretty much silent in comparison.

Far Cry 3 is so great. Most fun I've had getting my teeth into a game since Mass Effect 3. I hope people aren't sleeping on this one because it needs to be played by everyone.

Fave moment so far: I'm planning my attack on a pirate base and notice they have a cage with a tiger in it so I shoot open the cage and the tiger goes fucking nuts and starts attacking everybody. As this happens I sneak over to the base alarms and switch them off (to stop the pirates calling in reinforcements), at some point during the pirates fight a petrol barrel explodes setting half the nearby jungle on fire. In the chaos I start picking off pirates from a distant with a sniper rifle while a tiger runs around killing the ones I'm not shooting at and the jungle around them is burning to the ground. Finally the pirates kill the tiger and I finish the remaining few pirates. I go into the base main room and set a bomb and I have 10 seconds to get away. The other side of the base is by a river so I run across to the river for safety as the pirate base explodes. I jump into the river for cover...except unbeknownst to me this river is infested with alligators. So mere moments after all that madness on land I'm being dragged under water stuck in the jaws of an alligator while frantically stabbing it in the head for survival while the water around me fills with my blood.

SOLD!

• Paid Members

I downloaded Skyrim after I got a code with my Xbox. I didn't enjoy the game so much last time I played it, but my plan this time isn't to play it like a normal RPG-ish game and do missions and gradually level up/get better loot/etc, but to just travel the wild and hunt various animals/monsters and sell their pelts/bones/meat for profit.

I'm sure I saw someone else on here say that's how they played it so I'm just wondering if it was any good?

• Paid Members

I've been giving GTA III a good going over on the Nexus 7. It looks much better than San Andreas did on my Xbox and the controls are decent on the whole, although aiming to shoot is a bit of a potch. It sometimes leaves me riddled with bullets and dead before I can get any shots off. I'm planning on getting an adapter to plug in a controller, so that should be easily sorted.

I've not long opened up the second island, so I've still got plenty left to do. I relived the horror of Bomb Da Base II yesterday. All the painful memories came flooding back, and I failed miserably a few times before stumbling upon a pill hidden round the back, which slows time down. Did it first time then.

I'm enjoying it much more this time round too, Easily the best 69p I've spent this year.

How much quieter, if it is possible to explain in words, is the slim black xbox compared to the loud-as-fuck original versions? It puts me off watching DVDs on it because it's so noisy.

I don't know about the slim version, but all the newer 360s in general run MUCH quieter than the original. With the original, if I wanted to play games late at night I'd have to wear headphones, as I had to turn the tv volume way up to hear it over the console. I haven't had that problem with my more recent ones, they're pretty much silent in comparison.

It is noticeabley far better for me since getting my slim console a couple of days ago. I had to install everything to the hard drive on my old one to get to down to even a dull roar, the new ones are so, so much better. I should've upgraded ages ago.

Night and day. It's insanely quiet considering what's going on inside. No fan wind-up on startup, or when you whack a DVD in. I've installed Far Cry and the machine hardly makes a whisper whilst I'm playing it.

Beware though that my cat is able to turn it on and off an eject the DVD, so light-touch are the controls. Honestly, its happened more than once.

I can't transfer stuff from my old one easily as it only stays on for about 2 minutes at a time. I got my Xcom save game and my profile off, and to be honest... I don't need anything else. When do we ever really go back to old games?

Far Cry 3 is bucketloads of fun. I spent a while wandering around wondering what I was meant to do next, after the introductory bits, and then I realised... whatever I want! It really is a lot like Red Dead Redemption.

My only criticisms are: not being able to take a jetski over a waterfall, the goats are tricky to hunt with an assult rifle... er..

Oh yeah, the sound. It's a bit, bland. The guns are.. ok, everything else is there. It just never seems to have any really loud moments. It's no Battlefield 3. In fact, it's best not to compare it with traditional shooters, as it doesn't do shooting anywhere near as well. But it IS hugely fun.

I might have already mentioned this but I gave up on Hitman Absolution. It was all very samey and I just stopped caring. Traded it in whilst it was still worth something (the current prices for this game would suggest that others are feeling the same way about it) and got AC3 instead. It's OK so far but I'm merely scratching the surface if what I've just read is true. 6 hours of tutorial before the game officially begins? I hope I've got the patience for it.

• Paid Members

Still playing Skyrim.

I've explored a lot doing one quest so now have a load of open quests to pick from. I've just joined the college so might go for that and the companions mission I started an age ago and never followed on.

Is there much fun to be had with the thieves guild, particularly if I'm playing as a nice guy?

I also got WWE 13 yesterday. The games fun enough but fucking hell who made the character models, most I've seen so far in attitude mode have just been shocking. Shawn and all of Foley's are a huge step backwards for people who are regular appearers in the series.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

To be honest, as there's no karma system like Fallout you can be a bastard whenever it suits you, so being part of the Guild is no problem. You have to join to complete the game anyway. It's quite fun, but the Dark Brotherhood is even better. Definitely do the college missions,I did them really early in the game.

I really need to get back into playing Skyrim. I intend to start a new character though. I've done a Nord warrior who became the leader of the Companions, I'm just deciding what I want to do now. I'm toying with starting as a witch and doing the College and maybe the Civil War quest, if I don't get bored, or starting again as a Khajit and doing the Thieves and the DB.

I still need to get further than meeting the Grey Beards in the main mission too.

Does anyone else start new characters for each play? If it the best way to go about it or is it just better to do it all with one character?