WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
Went all the way back to The Getaway on the PS2 last night. Cracking stuff.

I enjoyed both The Getaway and it's sequel at the time, I'd have imagined that gameplay (which was patchy even at the time) would have dated terribly in the decade since.

It has, and so have the graphics, but I dig on the overall vibe of the game and especially love it's score. Nice to go back every once in a while to the old classics. I still play Creatures and Creatures 2 on the Commodore, and No Mercy on the N64 on occasion.

I was a Spectrum kid, and I do the same from time to time. Split Personalities and the Dizzy games do it for me. I keep meaning to dig into the Atari ST emulation but never get round to it, far easier to fire up Snes or MAME emulators instead.

• Paid Members
I was a Spectrum kid, and I do the same from time to time. Split Personalities and the Dizzy games do it for me. I keep meaning to dig into the Atari ST emulation but never get round to it, far easier to fire up Snes or MAME emulators instead.

Dizzy was odd on the C64. Loved the games, but it seemed to be a literal transfer from Spectrum to C64. The Last Ninja's were another belter! And CJs Elephant Antics. The cheat code for infy lives, I'll never forget - HAIRYARSEHOLES on the high score screen. Brilliant typing that in as a 12 year old.

• Paid Members
Went all the way back to The Getaway on the PS2 last night. Cracking stuff.

I enjoyed both The Getaway and it's sequel at the time, I'd have imagined that gameplay (which was patchy even at the time) would have dated terribly in the decade since.

I loved The Getaway, I might try and dig it out over the weekend and see how its aged. Great story and characters with quite unique feel to it playing it at the time.

The driving was painful though, and dull as fuck. The sequal was the shits and I gave up on some really shitty mission about 1/3 of the way in playing as that dozy slag.

The first was just golden though.

During Steams "Buy games that you'll never play" Xmas sale i picked up Recettear, i thought i'd give it a try and damn it's a little bit addictive, you play the part of the RPG shop owner and for the most part just buy and sell goods to pay of some debt your old dad left you but you can also hire adventurers to go down into dungeons, fight enemies and collect loot to sell on in the store. It's really charming in that "lolinternet" sort of way.

I'm taking over the "Retro Bytes" column in Starburst Magazine from next month and thought I'd ask seeing as this thread sort of combines videogames and wrestling which are two of my favourite things - what are everyone's favourite retro games? I think we're defining "retro" as anything before the current generation of consoles, even though I realise there could be hours of debate about whether or not that's an accurate definition. Just wondering what games people have got fond memories of, purely as a bit of "market research"!

• Moderators

Megadrive was my childhood console, so those for me. Streets of Rage (contrary to popular opinion though, the second one was pretty shit), Ghouls and Ghosts, Alex Kidd, Sonics 1, 2 and 3, Kid Chameleon, Golden Axe, X-Men, Aladdin.

X-Men was amazing actually - I would totally play that right now. It's the only one of the above titles I never completed because I borrowed it off a friend.

Super Monaco GP was when I first learned that I find racing games boring, and I haven't looked back since.

I was an Amiga kid, i had my own Master System but the families Amiga just had far superior games. While everyone else was all over Mario or Street Fighter i was trying to beat Dune 2 and The Settlers even if i was pretty awful at them. A few other greats were Shufflepuck Cafe, Brutal Sports Football, Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight, Monkey Island, Zac McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders, Lotus 3: the Ultimate Challenge and Heimdall.

Most of which cost less than a quid as we were the scum who bought pirated games every Sunday at the carboot.

Not exactly on topic but I thought it worth putting in here as it may apply to Xbox also in the future.

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

What are peoples thoughts on this? I can understand from a developers point of view that they are losing money on second games, but, and this is purely speculation, they would be losing more money by pricing the end user out of purchasing the games.

Personally speaking I cannot afford to pay for brand new games. I rely on trade in to be able to buy the games that I want. As it stands it certainly looks like I won't be getting the new consoles when they arrive purely for this reason. People are going to be left with a shit ton of games they will never play. It seems a ridiculous idea.

• Paid Members
Streets of Rage (contrary to popular opinion though, the second one was pretty shit)

:omg:

Shut your whore mouth!

I can see the argument for the first one being more fun but the third one was certainly a step backwards, sadly. That said, I've been meaning to play through Bare Knuckle 3 for years as apparently it's a much better version.

Did anyone ever play much of the Bomber Games remake before Sega killed it? It was such a labour of love from the sporadic times I bothered reading their blog that I'm sure the final product must have been pretty awesome. Not much of a PC gamer so I never really bothered with it at the time :(

On the upside, you've reminded me how awesome the X-Men game (and it's sequel) was. Really need to get some sort of emulator system sorted where I'm not trying to play stuff on my MacBook. Although this has been perfectly adequate for my recent play through of Harvest Moon, I can't help but think I might need a pad for something requiring better timing for button presses.

Not exactly on topic but I thought it worth putting in here as it may apply to Xbox also in the future.

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

What are peoples thoughts on this? I can understand from a developers point of view that they are losing money on second games, but, and this is purely speculation, they would be losing more money by pricing the end user out of purchasing the games.

Personally speaking I cannot afford to pay for brand new games. I rely on trade in to be able to buy the games that I want. As it stands it certainly looks like I won't be getting the new consoles when they arrive purely for this reason. People are going to be left with a shit ton of games they will never play. It seems a ridiculous idea.

Interesting. Even if it's true, just patenting the idea doesn't mean they'll actually implement it.

I do think doing such a thing, if your competitor (Xbox) doesn't could be a major mistake, which is why it feels unlikely. It's possible though that it might be used more like an alternative to Codes, so you can only play online on the first owner's console, but re-sell the game for single player and d/l a new license for online.

I actually think that current model works quite well as it allows developers to get something back from some 2nd hand sales and doesn't kill the 2nd hand market. Having the entire game locked out seems pretty severe.

• Moderators
Streets of Rage (contrary to popular opinion though, the second one was pretty shit)

:omg:

Shut your whore mouth!

On the upside, you've reminded me how awesome the X-Men game (and it's sequel) was.

OK... not shit, but definitely not as good as the first. I had no idea that there was a sequel to the X-Men game. That is possibly fantastic news if I can find and play it.