#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

Nah, chicken from a chippy is put in the fryer.  Baths Supper Bar near me was ran by a Chinese family, as noted the curry sauce was phenomenal.  They've sold it now to English people and it has well gone downhill.   Chippys can be a bit Brexit, some people won't go to Chinese chippys because they aren't the traditional ENGLISH chippy.  I seem to recall a bloke had a big "ENGLISH CHIPPY" sign that he didn't have planning permission for, so obviously it was taken down in case it offended immigunts and muzzies.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Chippys can be a bit Brexit, some people won't go to Chinese chippys because they aren't the traditional ENGLISH chippy.  I seem to recall a bloke had a big "ENGLISH CHIPPY" sign that he didn't have planning permission for, so obviously it was taken down in case it offended immigunts and muzzies.

Yeah that’s just stupid and I don’t see the need to ‘nationalise’ a food sign. Just make good food, people will come.

I couldn’t give a flying fuck who owns, fries or serves, let alone their nationality, I just want a chip shop to be a chip shop and not a banquet of every cuisine made poorly, which they usually are as they aren’t specific. 

Its all based on tradition, which can unfortunately be tarred with the brexit brush. But tradition is fine in my book, authenticity of the food. Again not arsed who makes or served it in the slightest, that goes for any cuisine. If I wanted a quality Indian meal and they asked if I want Cheese Burgers or a Bacon sandwich... I’d have concerns that they aren’t interested in the quality of the cuisine which led me to them in the first place. 

Using the word Traditional chippy is also fine in my book, but plastering the shop front with St. George flags etc is pathetic, and is going to put me off just as much.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Don't start with the whole "Batter bits" thing @Ralphy it will turn into a full on scrumps v scraps war that will make the chocolate biscuit kerfuffle seem positively civilized. 

Most chippies here in Lincoln sell kebabs as well. The one I use is pretty decent. I didn't notice cod roe on your list of permissible chip shop items Kaz? 

There's a chippy by me that has a separate kitchen that they offer Indian takeaways from and has a premises next door that offers 'fine dining'. Can we all chip in to get Kaz down here to sample this fine array of cuisine?

Tbh the Indian take away if one of the better ones around here and the chippy is decent if not hit and miss. Kebab meat and a scollop bap for £1.50!

• Paid Members

I could do a version of ‘The Trip’ with elements of ‘Man vs Food’ and the hotel inspector. Hitting none chippys that claim to be chippys.

“I award you 4/5 golden pickled eggs for that chicken parmo, but you are not a chippy”.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah, chicken from a chippy is put in the fryer.  Baths Supper Bar near me was ran by a Chinese family, as noted the curry sauce was phenomenal.  They've sold it now to English people and it has well gone downhill.   Chippys can be a bit Brexit, some people won't go to Chinese chippys because they aren't the traditional ENGLISH chippy.  I seem to recall a bloke had a big "ENGLISH CHIPPY" sign that he didn't have planning permission for, so obviously it was taken down in case it offended immigunts and muzzies.

Baths were fucking awesome.  Best scallops I’ve ever had, and you’re right about the curry sauce.  Shame they’ve gone now.

13 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Baths were fucking awesome.  Best scallops I’ve ever had, and you’re right about the curry sauce.  Shame they’ve gone now.

Yeah, I reckon one of them finally cracked a smile and thought enough is enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

A contestant on last night's Masterchef made a regional dish. A dish which I would have never heard of were it not for this forum. It was the Newcastle delicacy, chicken parmo.

Screenshot_20180309-145051.thumb.png.9fec9ca80421e8c45bf1c68385a21c61.png

Served with red cabbage slaw and beetroot ketchup, natch.

Gregg could not have been more sceptical. But judges and ex-winners alike were won over by the crispy / chewy / cheesy monstrosity. Man-mountain Steven Wallis declared "hashtag chicken parmo."

Screenshot_20180309-144742.thumb.png.12993efa4c91d197ffda02553bda8aa4.png

ive been a die hard Slimming World memeber for 3 years now.. I lost 9st in total and have been at target for 2 years.. but the last 2 weeks Ive had a really bad flu bug and missed last weeks group. I got weighed on wednesday and in 2 weeks have lost 14.5ibs

So i'm spending this week putting weight back on... ive eaten pizza...Cream cakes... M&S Chocolate biscuits..tons of reeces pieces...ive been down the chip shop and had Battered sausage and chips with curry sauce... 

I'm living like a king!

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Newcastle? It's more of a Middlesbrough expression.

Eh, up there somewhere *waves hand generally*. He was from Newcastle so thought it was from there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've joined my local Man v Fat. It's a football league where you are assigned to a team and play 6-aside but the bonus points you get for weight loss affect the reults. We're 5 weeks in but I've only been the last 2 weeks because i had commitments for the first 3. I'm enjoying it so much. Meeting new people and playing football (sort of) competitively for the first time in a while has been fun. But it's really focussed me on eating properly.

I've dropped lunch which is good for me because not only do I buy shite from the shop while I'm getting lunch but I spend money on crap I don't need while I do so. Win-win. I just eat a good breakfast and then have my tea. For a couple of weeks I've had no snacks whatsoever, nothing sweet and drunk nothing except water and a couple of cups of coffee a day.

Lost 8lbs last week. That's given me such a boost to carry on. I want to lose weight more than I want to eat shite. It's been a few years since I last had this mentality. I lost a couple of stone then but my missus got pregnant and the resulting 9 months helped me pile it back on and more!